Advertisement

L-Glutamine WILL CURE IBS-D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2000 - 03:30 PM

Advertisement
I posted this before and no one seemed to read it. If you have IBS-D you MUST try L-Glutamine. L-Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid found in our muscles, you cannot be allergic to it. It can be lacking though in sick individuals and is easily destroyed in foods by cooking.It is also THE FOOD that the cells in the intestinal wall need and use to repair itself. L-Glutamine is excellent for repairing a leaky gut and seems to cure IBS-D without fail.Take 2 grams mixed with water, 3 times a day, 30 minutes before a meal. Buy the powder form, it is virtually tasteless.

Advertisement

#2 Guest_Twila_*

Guest_Twila_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2000 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. As long as it's harmless, why not give it a chance? All things don't work on everyone, but there is always hope that the next thing will be the silver bullet! Caltrate works for many, but only reversed my D and gave me terrible C.Tomorrow I am going to an acupuncturist, for an unrelated problem of nerve damage. I'm hoping so much that it works for me, and maybe will help my IBS too!

#3 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2000 - 07:41 PM

It is harmless, unless you have a kidney or liver disorder although I'm not sure what happens if you take it if you do.The only side effect is that it hardens stools, great for IBS-D but not for IBS-C, although it does help with leaky gut syndrome which can cause C.

#4 Libbys

Libbys

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 May 2000 - 09:21 PM

Dear Weebles - I have a bottle of L-glutamine tablets.. 500 mg.. So can I use these and how much?Thanks, Libbys

#5 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2000 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, you can use them. I've read all different recommendations for how much to take. There's a book all about L-Glutamine too.You should take at least 2 grams, 3 times a day and I've seen 5 or more grams per serving recommended. That's why powder form is recommended, cause you'll need a lot of pills.So every 2 500mg capsules in 1 gram.

#6 Guest_sumbunnie_*

Guest_sumbunnie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2000 - 01:08 AM

I was told by a certified nutritionist to try L-glutamine for IBS, too. I haven't tried it yet...hope it helps!

#7 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2000 - 01:16 PM

About This Book... Description: The Ultimate Nutrient Glutamine (Judy Shabert, MD,RD and Nancy Ehrlich) Paperback Edition, 146 Pages Published by Avery Publishing Group, New York Researchers from around the world are discovering the many important therapeutic values of glutamine, a substance once considered to be a nonessential amino acid. Because of these breakthrough discoveries, many scientists today are reclassifying glutamine as a "conditionally essential" amino acid, that is, essential when you are ill or under stress. The most abundant amino acid found in the human body, glutamine has been shown to build up the immune systems of burn victims and AIDS patients, as well as those of people suffering from autoimmune diseases such as arthritis and lupus. It has been proven to heal stomach ulcers and to relieve other disorders of the digestive system, including Crohn's disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and ulcerative colitis. It has also been shown to help heal and support the liver and to combat the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatment for cancer. It can ease the effects of various degenerative diseases associated with aging and may assist in the struggle against such emotional problems as depression, fatigue, and anger. And it is particularly helpful in protecting the body from the numerous effects of stress. Using easy-to-understand language, The Ultimate Nutrient: Glutamine details all the cutting-edge research showing the enormous benefits derived from this essential nonessential amino acid. It explains how glutamine can be used to make you healthier and stronger, and details how you can incorporate it into your life. Sources and doses of glutamine are included.

#8 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2000 - 01:17 PM

Here's a short article with an important quote at the top. And remember, glutamine is destroyed when cooked."It serves as a source of fuel for cells lining the intestines. Without it, these cells waste away. "GlutamineWhat does it do? Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid (protein building block) in the body and is involved in more metabolic processes than any other amino acid. Glutamine is converted to glucose when more glucose is required by the body as an energy source. It serves as a source of fuel for cells lining the intestines. Without it, these cells waste away. It�s also used by white blood cells and is important for immune function. In animal research, glutamine has anti-inflammatory effects. Glutamine in combination with N-acetyl cysteine promotes the synthesis of glutathione, a naturally occurring antioxidant that is believed to be protective in people with HIV infection.1 Evidence indicates that critically ill people are more likely to survive with intravenous glutamine supplementation.2 Where is it found? Glutamine is found in many foods high in protein, such as fish, meat, beans, and dairy.Glutamine has been used in connection with the following conditions (refer to the individual health concern for complete information): Ranking Health Concerns Secondary Athletic performance (for reducing risk of post-exercise infection)Immune function (post-exercise infection prevention in endurance athletes) Other Alcohol withdrawal supportGastritisHIV supportPeptic ulcerUlcerative colitis Who is likely to be deficient? Few people are glutamine deficient, in part because the body makes its own. During fasting, starvation, cirrhosis, critical illnesses in general, and weight loss associated with AIDS and cancer, however, deficiencies often develop.How much is usually taken? Healthy people do not need to supplement glutamine. A nutritionally oriented physician should be consulted for the supplemental use of glutamine for the support of serious health conditions.Are there any side effects or interactions? No clear toxicity has emerged in glutamine studies.Certain medications interact in a positive and/or negative way with glutamine. Refer to the drug interactions summary for glutamine for a list of those medications

#9 Guest_Jacket_*

Guest_Jacket_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2000 - 02:11 PM

I will try anything I am so desparte. I can't even be a good father my D is so bad. I found the capsules and i started taking them last night. The question I have is how long before it will start working. Give me a timeframe before this will start helping ...Thanks I am so glad you guys are here.

#10 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2000 - 02:40 PM

Depends how much you take. As I've said before, I've seen recommended doses of more than 5 grams, 3 times a day. I'd start out with 2 or 3 grams, 3 times a day and it doesn't help I'd move it up to 5 grams a day. I'd say it should start helping fairly quickly. Remember though, it can take a while for your cells to be repaired. It should start hardening your stools though right away.

#11 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2000 - 02:41 PM

And remember to take it on an empty stomach, 30 minutes before mealtime.

#12 Guest_Jacket_*

Guest_Jacket_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2000 - 08:50 PM

Well I started the L Glutamine Sunday night for my D and well I haven't had D and I am thrilled about that...But i haven't gone to the restroom at all. I am not having cramps or too much gas but I am C. I will take C over D anyday at least I can Have a life..but Is ths common. I am curious if I will start going Normal when I do again I will keep u updated. Let me Know if this is Whats supposed to happen, Thanks

#13 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2000 - 09:06 PM

Well, health wise IBS C is probably worse for you since you are not excreting the toxins. Make you are exercising, drinking lots of water and eating lots of whole grains, fruits and vegatables. You might want to try taking less Glutamine so that you fall in the middle of D and C.Maybe you should start a new post saying that L-Glutamine cured your D this way more people will see it and try it out.

#14 Guest_Jacket_*

Guest_Jacket_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2000 - 02:05 AM

Well its to early to say if The Glutamine has cured my D but it seems to be helping some. I finally had a bowel movement on Thursday and stared out as formed but then I had to go about 6 times in a row after that. It turned into very soft watery stool but not totally D....Then it stoped and I am ok again.I think it is working but very slow. I'll keep it up and see if things get better before I say that It cured my D. I will definietly keep u posted.

#15 Guest_kelly_i_*

Guest_kelly_i_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2000 - 03:11 PM

I've been taking the L-Glutamine since last Sunday and it has made a HUGE difference for me (I'm IBS-D).Ihave been taking 2 capsules (500 mg each) three times a day. The D has gone away, and the conastant in and out of the bathroom is much much better. I've had a couple of urgent BMs (usuaslly when I'm on my lunch hour at work, I believe that's psychological!) And the overall crappy-achy feeling I usually have is gone too!!!THANK YOU WW25 for the post!

#16 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2000 - 04:07 PM

That's great! 1 gram, 3 times a day is actually below the recommended dosage, I think 2 grams is usually the smallest amount recommended but 1 gram works for you that's great. Maybe you should start another thread saying how much L Glutamine helped you this way it'll get more attention.

#17 Kasey

Kasey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 June 2000 - 10:34 PM

Hi..this is my first post on the BB. I read about the L-Glutamine. I went out and bought some today, the powdered form. I am started taking it today just before lunch. I sure hope this helps. I read on this site: http://www.cambridgenutra.com/consumers/gi.html that you should take minimum of 10-30 gmsof pure L-Glutamine. Can this be right? This seems like an awful lot. I am going to take 2 gms 3 times per day. Any other information that anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to have found this site and greatful to you all for your insight and input. Thanks for being here. I will let you all know how it works for me. Kasey

#18 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2000 - 11:31 PM

Found this at that site:A minimum of 10 Grams of glutamine per day is recommended by Dr. Braly. As a daily supplement, 1-1/2 tsp. (which is one serving) twice daily 1/2 hour before meals. For more serious problems, 3 servings per day is suggested.30 grams seems like quite a lot, I'd start at the lower amounts and maybe work your way up if it doesn't seem to help you.

#19 Kasey

Kasey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 June 2000 - 12:09 AM

Thanks weeblewobble. I am currently just taking 1/2 tsp. in water 3 times daily 30 mins before meals. If this doesn't help I will up the dosage a bit. Thanks for your input, its very much appreciated.

#20 Guest_weeblewobble25_*

Guest_weeblewobble25_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2000 - 01:23 PM

According to my bottle, one HEAPING teaspoon is 2 grams so I'd recommend taking a bit more.Remember, you can't be allergic to it. It is the most abundant amino acid in your entire body so don't be to afraid of it.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here