My STOOLS SEEM DARKER THAN USUAL

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Alicia_*

Guest_Alicia_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2000 - 05:17 PM

Advertisement
Not to be gross or anything, but the last few times Ive gone to the bathroom, my stools seem darker than usual...Could it be that the ONLY thing I ever drink is Snapple Iced Tea? It's the only thing I can get down because I get bad nausea. The consistency is pretty normal, but like I said the color seems darker than usual..NOT black, just really dark brown...Any advice would be appreciated!

Advertisement

#2 NewForMe

NewForMe

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 16 September 2000 - 06:59 PM

There could be a few reasons...are you taking iron supplements by chance? Mine turn unusually dark when taking iron or a multi vitamin with high iron content. Also, not to scare you, that could mean that there is blood in the stool. I would call the doctor and see if he feels concern about it. Otherwise it could be something you are eating (high in iron) that you didn't before. Hopefully more people will post, because the iron is the only thing that has ever darkened my stools. Maybe someone has a better reason.
Deann (Dee)
deann###mris.com
Was told IBS-D/C for 2 years, turns out to be Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

#3 diamondgirl

diamondgirl

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 September 2000 - 07:23 PM

Hi Alicia,I think it all depends on what you eat. I've even read on this BB a post on how what you eat affects the color of your bm. I don't think you need to worry about blood since you said the color isn't black. Mine have turned very dark after taking Pepto Bismol. Just keep an eye on it and don't worry!!! diamondgirl

#4 Guest_Zdaugy_*

Guest_Zdaugy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2000 - 07:30 PM

Hi alicia,I have been told by several doctors that the time to be concerned is when your stools look like tar black. I experience dark stools and it is usually associated with what I ate the day before. For example if I overdose on oreo cookies or avacado I will have darker than usual stools. If this was something to be concerned about you would know. Try to relax and not get caught up in the color of your stools you'll know if you're having a problem. Take Care.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here