#1 atrain

atrain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 02:41 PM

Advertisement
I have been taking Vit B5 (1500 mgs) in the mornings and 500 mgs of magnesium at night and have been having large soft BMs for a week now. The magnesium could never do it alone so I think that the B5 has a huge part in my new bowel habits. Give it a try

Advertisement

#2 loon

loon

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 02:43 PM

atrain -Weren't you using Triphala for a while? Did it quit working?loon

#3 atrain

atrain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 08:20 PM

ya it worked well for a month but i think swallowing down 6 big pills a day along with the magnesium was annoying so I looked in other directions. Plus I did not know what kind of effects it has on people, i mean there are not really any reports on it from the medical field so I was sort of turned off from the herbal stuff, since taking ephedra is what gave me C in the first place I'm not a big fan of herbs

#4 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 11:34 AM

atrain, 1500mg sounds like alot! What is the daily minimum requirment-do you know? My multivitamin only has 25mg of B5. What did you start with?Thanks, Tiss
Tiss

#5 atrain

atrain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 12:58 PM

I am not sure about the Daily Rec. but they say there is not a lot of research that says a certain dose is better than another. I have heard of people taking 8000 mgs a day for acne because it helps with that also. They use it alot in hospitals after people are bed ridden constipated to get teh bowels contracting again. One site i was on recommended 2000 mgs a day

#6 jorel

jorel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 06:19 PM

Sounds very encouraging. I actually looked for B5 at the drug store recently, but they only carried B6, B12, and BComplex. Is it available over the counter, or do you need to talk to a doctor?

#7 atrain

atrain

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 08:56 PM

got mine at GNC

#8 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 06:53 PM

B5 is also called Pantothenic acid. Reading up on B-vitamins, it sounds like a good idea to take a really good B-complex vitamin. Vitamin B1 or Thiamin is also good for digestion.
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here