Why is sauerkraut recommended for IBS?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nacia23_*

Guest_Nacia23_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2000 - 12:01 PM

Advertisement
Please explain why sauerkraut has is often mentioned as something worth considering. Is it just another worthless recommendation that can do more harm than good. Thank you.

Advertisement

#2 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 28 February 2000 - 12:11 PM

My sister swears sauerkraut helps her "C".------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#3 SteveE

SteveE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 28 February 2000 - 01:12 PM

Cabbage is supposedly excellent for the digestive system in general. I have found that red cabbage is one of the few veggies I can eat raw without obvious negative side effects, and since it is very nutritious I do make sure I have some from time to time.As for the dish sauerkraut...uhh...ick is about all I can say.

#4 moms777

moms777

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 February 2000 - 01:25 PM

Hi! I have a book called "Seven Weeks to a Settled Stomach" and it says sauerkraut can help restore your intestinal ecology. On another page it says that it helps you digest and is very nourishing. I, personally, have not tried this, I just wanted to pass the information on.

#5 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 28 February 2000 - 03:00 PM

Very interesting info. However, isn't cabbage too gassy for some people with sensitive systems? Isn't sauerkraut all vinegary, which some of us here can't tolerate? I think it could be another one of those frustrating dilemmas....maybe sauerkraut is beneficial for "healthy" people but not for sick people?
"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

#6 Persistance

Persistance

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 28 February 2000 - 03:08 PM

As far as I know, saurkraut would be "recommended" -- only on the "Avoid" list for IBS-D. It is obviously a crufiferous vegetable which is, as HipJan says, gassy. For IBSC it just might be the ticket.
Judy

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne

#7 Guest_Chuck-w_*

Guest_Chuck-w_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2000 - 05:55 PM

ANSWER: FOR THE FRIENDLY BACTERIASauerkraut, like other brine fermented vegatables, is rich in Lactobacillus Plantarum. This probiotic is believed by some to be a superior gut resident for a number of reasons. It seems to have a superior ability to adhere to the gut lining, and to crowd out pathogenic microbes, including candida. see the Probi abstract below, which claims help for flatulence. To get these benefits, obviously you need cold packed kraut and must eat it uncooked. For info on sauerkraut yogurt, etc. go to: www.cas.muohio.edu/~mbi-ws/foodmicro/foodproduction.htm For 2 abstracts dealing with the value of L. Plantarum go to: www.probi.se/international/abs8.asp And www.hscsyr.edu/~nutrition/b798/abst04.htm [This message has been edited by Chuck-w (edited 02-28-2000).][This message has been edited by Chuck-w (edited 02-28-2000).]

#8 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2000 - 05:57 PM

Chuck, I grew up on sauerkraut, and every time I read your post it makes me hungry all over again. I'm going to have to try some this weekend! JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG
*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

#9 Guest_odeal_*

Guest_odeal_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2000 - 06:10 PM

I wonder if this is why my sister, who was a C all the years we were growing up, use to drink dill pickle juice right out of the jar when she got really "stopped up". It usually did the trick for her!

#10 Guest_Nacia23_*

Guest_Nacia23_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2000 - 07:33 PM

Thank you everyone for answering my question.A special thanks to Chuck W. I never realized sauer kraut or anything fermented was that good. I served sauer kraut only at Christmas time but then I cooked it with sausage which I suppose is not that good. That's interesting about dill pickles. I only served them once a year. I have a condition called MSA and need to have more salt.

#11 Guest_snagridge_*

Guest_snagridge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2000 - 11:12 PM

Uncooked sauerkraut? Somewhere in my stack of "recipes to try" is a sauerkraut salad which is served at every Polish Festival dinner in Portland. Will be looking for that one as soon as I'm done here!snagridge

#12 Pekeluvr

Pekeluvr

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 February 2000 - 11:32 PM

UGH Odeal!!<fights visual>

#13 Guest_Chuck-w_*

Guest_Chuck-w_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2000 - 02:18 AM

Well, I have trouble eating the stuff, all the time, so I put it in the blender after washing out the brine and puree it, than either eat it quickly or just mix some water or other liguid with it and drink it. I should mention that I have seen questions about whether store bought kraut actually has any bacteria in it, that even the chilled stuff is pasturized at the plant. in which case I guess its just a friendly food for my tummy. i've been trying to find a kraut co. homepage to ask. I don't see why they would bother. By the way, L. plantarum is available in some freeze dried products like Jarrow-dophilus by jarrow labs.[This message has been edited by Chuck-w (edited 02-29-2000).]

#14 ziglady

ziglady

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 29 February 2000 - 02:46 AM

Sauerkraut? Holy diarrhea, Batman! Sauerkraut, bean sprouts and coconut and three substances GUARANTEED to spaz their way through my system, irritating everything they touch on the way. Was this advice for "C" people, perhaps?

#15 Persistance

Persistance

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 29 February 2000 - 02:51 AM

Liked that one, Zig! To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in "Five Easy Pieces:" "I'll have a hot dog with beans and sauerkraut..hold the dog, hold the beans, hold the sauerkraut..."Ah, yup! Makes me run just to think about it!
Judy

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

John Donne

#16 Guest_joy_*

Guest_joy_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2000 - 08:17 PM

I've tried it, and it gave me bad D. I haven't had it since. I tried it because I heard it will clean out your intestinal track, well it did for me, but it worked a little to well.

#17 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 29 February 2000 - 08:46 PM

Mmmmmmm. Sauerkraut and kielbasa. Sauerkraut and pork. Sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Sauerkraut and spareribs. JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG
*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

#18 NancyCat

NancyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 29 February 2000 - 09:05 PM

Very interesting about sauerkraut. I havent had any for a long time-figured it would flareup the IBS D and at the least would be very gassy. ------------------Nancy
Nancy

#19 Guest_Nacia23_*

Guest_Nacia23_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2000 - 09:39 PM

I made a sauerkraut salad tonight. Put in grated carrots, chopped up apples, celery seed and minced parsley. It was great. Thanks, again, ChuckW.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here