Advertisement

Photo

Any woman out there with IBS only during ovulation?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 redpanda

redpanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:10 AM

Advertisement
I have been diagnosed with IBS but after tracking my symptoms over the last year or so I have found that I really only have terrible symptoms during the week that I ovulate. However, the symptoms tend to last for a week or so and are pretty bad--mostly pain, gas, bloating and constipation. I am currently waiting for an appointment with a gynecologist but since she is apparently quite good I have to wait until November to see her. My last gynecologist would not even entertain the thought that the IBS could be connected to my cycle even though I have been tracking it for over a year. The pain just started again today and I am beside myself----does anyone have any thoughts or ideas or experiences to share? Thank you.

Advertisement

#2 NancyCat

NancyCat

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 01:46 AM

My gastro told me that gyn homones do affect GI hormones. So it makes sense to me that for you your hormone levels are setting off your IBS during ovulation. I usually have more trouble IBS wise, pain, gas, sometimes C, about a week before and during my period.I've had IBS for over 20 years and come to think of it when I was on the pill my IBS doesnt stand out in my memory as being terrible. Glad you got a new gyn. Hope this helpsPosted Image
Nancy

#3 redpanda

redpanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:41 PM

Thank you, Nancy--that is good to hear--even though I am sitting here doubled over with pain as I write this! But that confirms my hunch that maybe if I start to take birth control pills it will help. Tomorrow I am going to start bugging the gyn's office like crazy to see if there are any cancellations!

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,427 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

Now there is also mid-cycle pain or ovulation pain, and it may be that some of the pain is related to that (and pain itself is a stressor that could effect the GI tract).Ovarian cysts/cancer can cause GI symptoms, so it is not too off the wall to think that ovulation especially if it is causing pain could be effecting the GI tract as well.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,427 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:19 PM

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/b...ation_pain?open I couldn't find one that listed other GI symptoms...let me look a bit further.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#6 redpanda

redpanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:24 PM

K.--Thank you--I am going to print this out and discuss it with my doctor. I really appreciate your research!

#7 tropigal

tropigal

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:48 AM

Reproductive Hormones - IBS occurs more than twice as frequently in women than in men and tends to follow a cyclic pattern, with aggravation during the postovulatory (progesterone-dominant) and premenstrual phases of the menstrual cycle3. Progesterone is known to delay gastric emptying and cause constipation; constipation with straining and the frequent passage of hard stools is a more prevalent IBS manifestation in women, especially during the postovulatory phase21. At the end of the postovulatory phase, the sudden withdrawal of progesterone that occurs with the start of the premenstrual phase may trigger increased bowel activity. Women frequently report loose stools and diarrhea before or with the onset of menstruation. In contrast to progesterone, estrogen has not been associated with exacerbations of IBS symptoms5,7. In one study, high levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) were found in women with IBS; drugs that decreased LH levels and consequently suppressed ovarian production of estrogen and progesterone resulted in significantly improved IBS symptoms22,23. LH is a reproductive hormone responsible for the production of testosterone in males and estrogen and progesterone in women. In men, the opposite result was found: low LH and low testosterone tended to be associated with IBS symptoms24. High LH therefore appears to cause exacerbations in women by stimulating progesterone and estrogen, yet have a protective effect in men.Along with progesterone levels in women, prostaglandins E2 and F2 alpha also increase in the premenstrual phase. Since they are powerful stimulants of bowel contractions, it is possible that women with IBS may have an exaggerated response to these prostaglandins3. http://altmedicine.about.com/library/weekly/aa010901b.htm My symptoms are also now only monthly, I did always have gastro issues along with PMS even before I developed IBS, but now they are definitely IBS symptoms I suffer each month, along with the premenstrual cramping, etc.

#8 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:32 PM

My gas was always worse during that timeof month.

#9 Ms Pedro

Ms Pedro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:02 PM

I have the same problem. Everytime the time of the month comes I get the worse pain in my stomach and it lasts the whole 5-7 days its horrible. I am taking Digestive Advantage IBS & Marijuana. It seems to help. I know your not going to take Marijuana but don't knock it till you try it.LaterRed

#10 nelly2

nelly2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:29 AM

I have more problems between ovulation and my period. They include mood swings but also IBS. I think it's a good idea to track it and avoid certain foods during that time. I also think that it's a good idea that we just accept that that week will suck in terms of digestion. Being honest with people will help alot,too. My fiance went out to eat with some friends and about half of them, including him, ended up with chronic D. all day. He had no problem telling me all about it. It started making me wonder why I'm embarassed to come clean about my own problems.

#11 Peaches

Peaches

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:24 PM

I have also noticed that from the time I ovulate till I start my period my IBS is much worse. Once I start my period I am alot better hardly even know I have IBS. I wish there was some way to feel that good all the time. I have about 23 years till menapose. YUK Posted Image

#12 Guest_SueV_*

Guest_SueV_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2004 - 11:25 AM

Thank God - somebody has mentioned this. My IBS (which I have lived with on and off for about 7/8 years) definately goes in cycles. About a week prior to my period I always get a horrible stabbling pain under my left rib - this is followed by about 3/4 days of terrible rumbling wind and a constant feeling of hunger. I then get considerably looser stools before/during my period and then it all calms down again as my period dies down. My GP sent me for an ovarian scan (as problems with the ovaries apparently mimic IBS sometimes) but all was clear. I just sort of get on with it - dreading the arrival of each monthly cycle but at least now I know that I'm not alone.All the best to fellow IBS sufferes whereever you areSue (UK, Manchester)

#13 OldWifeyNo2

OldWifeyNo2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:14 AM

Suev,I am so glad i have read this post. Your symptoms prior to ovulation are exactly the same as mine, the pain under the rib cage (mine is more under the right), the wind and the feeling of being hungry, the looser stools, everything. You cant imagine how much better this makes me feel as i always think i am the only one with these symptoms and that there is something seriously wrong with me. You may have read in other posts of mine that i lost my mum to cancer two and a half years ago, i am contactly worrying that i have cancer too, either bowel or stomach. I guess this is making my ibs symptoms worse, worrying all the time. I have had blood tests, stool sample tested, urine tests and a smear, all were normal. My doctor reasures me it is nothing more sinister than ibs but some of the symptoms are just unbelievable. Anyway, thanks again. Kelly x
IBS A - ANXIETY INDUCED. LIFE REALLY IS TOO SHORT!!

#14 Guest_SueV_*

Guest_SueV_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:41 PM

Kelly - keep in touch won't you. Its brill to have someone to natter to via e-mail. Nobody in my family has had cancer to my knowledge so I can only imagine what you go through but I think we both have to have faith in the Doctors and hopefully let IBS take as much of a back seat as possible.All the very bestSue, Manchester UKPS: where are you, US, Canada or UK, would be interesting to compare what the Dr's think

#15 OldWifeyNo2

OldWifeyNo2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

Hi Sue,Thanks for replying. It would be great to keep in touch via email as most of the posts i have read of yours mimic my symptoms down to a tee! I live in Southampton, UK. My email address is angelxxnet###aol.com.
IBS A - ANXIETY INDUCED. LIFE REALLY IS TOO SHORT!!

#16 boxgirl73

boxgirl73

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:43 PM

it's nice (in a way) to hear we're all in the same boat. My GI told me that our hormones can definetly play a role in IBS. In fact, she advised me to go off the pill (was really only on it for clearing my face up) because i was having more spasms than normal. She told me that it would be best if tried going off of the pill because the pill can be too much hormone for some-especially with IBS. Anyway, i'm mid cyle right now and experienced quite a bad spasm yesterday-couldn't move for about an hour-that's my main symptom(luckily, I don't get this much-usually depends on if i'm eating alot of junk or not)-and am having little pings here and there today. I get that wierd feeling under my ribcage too-usually on my left side-feels like there's something enlarged-probably just my colon-the transverse colon can run up there. Have been very bloated the past 2 days and i think it's due to my cycle (don't always get this bad midcycle-but do notice a change almost every month).We're all in it together-just wished we all lived closer so we could deal with it together too.....Peace out....

#17 redpanda

redpanda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:54 AM

Hmm, that is interesting to hear--my stomach pains just started again yesterday, but they are not yet soo bad--knock on wood. I started taking the pill on Thursday, so I don't know if I've been taking it long enough for it to affect my cycle and/or hormonal balance during ovulation. I am just praying for anything! My gyn gave me a two month sample so we shall see. Box girl, I hope you are feeling better.....

#18 boxgirl73

boxgirl73

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:55 PM

Yep, I'm doing better today. I just have to stay away from the junk-especially when i'm ovulating. Do any of you feel pain free during your week of your period? I do! I know many people hate that week, but not me!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here