18 replies to this topic

#1 anyita

anyita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 03:16 AM

Advertisement
Hi to everyone! I want to share that last Friday I had a scary situation.I was watching T.V when suddenly my heart started beating like crazy.Very fast and strong.I started burping and after 5 o 10 minutes it stopped,It was very frightening.It was like a panic attack but I noticed I was full of gas that?s why I burped to feel better.This has happened to me before but long ago.Does anybody have felt the same???Please help me.Since then I don't want to eat in the night and I am very skinny,I am starting to hate the meals.Please let me know if someone have felt this.Thank you very muchAnyita

Advertisement

#2 Mojosue

Mojosue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 06:56 AM

Advertisement
Anyita... I had heart racing and panic, but never saw it connected to gas - althouh I was in such a state by then I may have missed the obvious. My backache eases with releasing some wind (farts)All I can suggest is that you start some regular calm breathing exercises, heart racing is really scary isnt it, make s you feel like you may explode. In fact its pretty rare your heart will blow itself up - the human body is designed to survive... take some comfort in the fact it may be frightening but not life threatening.... Do the breating as often as you can, get used to it, and then when your heart is racing it will be easier to do. Breathe slowly and calmly through the nose. Breathe into the belly, belly goes out, breathe out slowly and calmly again out, and the belly comes in. Try and picture the air coming in and out of you as you breathe...Maybe the trapped gas is sending panic signals to your body for some reason and the heart racing is the result - so maybe countering it with calming messages back may help...As crazy as it sounds I made myself a mantra... I was reading a book about the Tao, and came up with thisI am safeI am wellI am one with Tao Just try I am safe, I am well, I am calm or something like that. One with each breath... good luck, you have plenty of empathy about the frightening aspects of the heart racing... Try Bachs Rock Rose or the Emergency Remedy... Sue

#3 I_H8_IBS

I_H8_IBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 02:58 PM

Advertisement
An intolerence or food allergy can cause this as well. I read this recently and i made sense to me from a situation a few years ago. My mother had recently found out she was allergic to shellfish (she would get violently ill) and we went to a goig away party for a friend. There was breaded chicken with sauce there that my mom ate and later became violently ill. She told me her heart was racing and sure enough when I felt her pulse, I couldn't believe it. The next day she called and asked if there was any shellfish in the food and was told there was small bits of shellfish in the hot sauce.----I too get a hard pounding fast bunch of heartbeats once in a while. I don't know if mine is attributed to gas or what. My mom also gets it (non-seafood related)

#4 Guest_xoxox_*

Guest_xoxox_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2002 - 01:08 AM

Advertisement
My mom always had palpitations and rapid heartbeat when she had gas trapped in the upper part of her colon, near her heart. It frightened her until her doctor told her it could very well be gas. She would lie down on her bed and stretch out until she passed the gas. (Despite her problem, she lived to be 90.)

#5 aussie_m

aussie_m

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 03:12 AM

Advertisement
hi i'm very new to this club, joined yesterday but with what you have said has made me very happy as this is what my main problim is and i have told doctors this but they dont belive me.i find that i get this problim more if i'm sitting in a certain position and eating og just eaten.this is not from crustaition alergy as i also have this alergy and the symtoms are different.i have found that if you get that edrenilin felling starting to happen it means the heart is going to start going faster, drink a little bit of soda water and walk around and you will burp and this will go away, laying on your back also helps.

#6 alfonsotexas

alfonsotexas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 12:27 AM

Advertisement
This could also be a condition called "splenic-flexure syndrome". It is caused by gas trapped in the upper bowel. Check out a National Institute of Health page at www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/gas/gas/htm.Also, have someone check your pulse when you are having an attach. This will tell you for sure what is happening.

#7 anyita

anyita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 03:52 AM

Advertisement
alfonsotexas,Hi it's me anyita,Please could you tell me what is splenic syndrome???I went to the page but I did'nt found anythingPlease help meThank youAnyita

#8 kamie

kamie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 03:59 AM

Advertisement
And don't forget to put the cardiologist on the list. Check you blood pressure and vitals when having an attack.If your pulse stays up over 100 you need to seek medical care and be under suprevised care even if it's the doctor checking in while doing the trouble shooting.Just because we have Bowels giving us grief lets not forget that other important body systems need to be monitored.Many a cardiac patient has thought that they had gas.Heart attacks and strokes don't just happen with one gas attack.Heart conditions can have IBS and gas symptoms for years before becoming a big problem.My dad died at 48 from Coronary artery disease.He had his fair share of what I would call IBS now,too. We had no clue at the time.Kamie

#9 kitty2

kitty2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 12:50 AM

Advertisement
Hmmm..I wonder if gas is causing my heart episodes. I went to the cardiologist and the results of my holter monitor test was that I had atrial tachycardia. The episode the monitor picked up was a heart flutter where my heart went up to 162 beats per minute. I was just washing dishes at that time - not stressed out or anything. The doctor doesn't know what causes my tachycardia so I'm wondering if it's gas. Posted Image

#10 kitty2

kitty2

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 12:54 AM

Advertisement
alfonsotexas,can you please check the url you posted. It doesn't work. Thanks Posted Image

#11 surfero

surfero

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:15 AM

Advertisement
I've had similar symptoms of heart feeling like it was racing along with pain under my left ribs. I've been looking for more info on splenic flexure syndrome to see if this is what's happening.It's been very scary and felt like a heart attack when the pain has been so intense. It's taken me into the ER when the pain was really bad.I've also felt dizzy and short of breath at times. Passing gas seems to help as does going to the bathroom, but doesn't usually completely remove the problem and pain.

#12 BonnieRamona

BonnieRamona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

Advertisement
I have had this problem for ages, gas trapped near my heart causing fluttering, I have read about it in many books but they never say much about it beyond the fact that it happens. It is sometimes so strong I feel like my time is up but after 40 years of it I am still here. I blame buildup of stress and fatigue where inside I get tense and the gas and air gets trapped under my heart area. after an episode I feel really dragged out for a while. It will always scare me when it happens but deep breathing and water seem to calm me down somewhat.

#13 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:55 AM

Advertisement
I do not see how gas in the intestine could influence heart rate. I am trying to imagine how this might work.Let's assume that a large volume of gas get so large it alters the shape of the diaphragm and alters the chest cavity size. This scenario does not work for me because I think the abdomen would grow outward first. So you'd be pretty bloated before it impacted the diaphragm.If it were to get that far, it would probably increase pressure in the chest cavity and that could have the effect of triggering a Valsalva maneuver. That would alter heart rate, but it is complicated by the fact that you are breathing. If anything, it is going to make it harder to breath, so I think you'd be short of breath before it affected the heart rate. I think an obese individual would be more susceptible to this.Another possibility is that might be from a massive increase in carbon dioxide generation from eating a lot of undigested carbs. The carbon dioxide might alter heart rate, but it is unlikely to happen here because any carbon dioxide absorbed would be rapidly excreted by the lungs.
quote:
gas trapped near my heart causing fluttering
I think it comes down to how one knows any of this is even occurring.First, how do you even know that you any gas at all? There's no easy way for a person to know they have any. Your lungs are filled with gas, but how would know that other than knowing it because you are breathing? Assuming you could know you have gas, how do you know that is trapped? And how could know where it is? A thing to remember is if you don't ever pass gas, you could not have any gas because the gas has to go somewhere and only very little ends up being absorbed in the end if there is a continual supply.Finally, how do you know your heart flutters?
quote:
I have read about it in many books
Can you reference any of them? I wonder where the authors got this information from.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#14 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:13 AM

Advertisement
don't have time to read the posts... but i've noticed that when i have really bad upper abdominally trapped gas my heart will race and thump. my boyfriend has noticed it several times. this only happens when i have bad gas. i don't know what the mechanism behind it would be, but my veins also pop out on my face and neck when i'm having gas. its a strain on the body so i think it would make sense that the heart would react. plus maybe its putting pressure directly on the heart.

#15 BonnieRamona

BonnieRamona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:56 PM

Advertisement
Everybody is different. I am no expert but only speaking about myself. when I am stressed, overworked, or tensed from life situations my overly sensitive nervous system is even more sensitive and I do get skipped beats and odd sensations in my head. Passed gas and burps do happen also. as for books I will compile my list and post them for you. But please, I should have called them skipped beats and not flutters. I am just another person suffering like everyone else and I get frightened when this happens. In my case I only wrote about myself and what I think the cause is. As you can see many of the posts have the trapped gas and heart beat problems.

#16 BonnieRamona

BonnieRamona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:23 PM

Advertisement
to fluxHope and help for your nerves by Claire Weeks page 50, Peace from Nervous Suffering by Claire Weeks page 32, Staying Healthy with the Seasons by Elson M Haas,M.D. page 78 and What your doctor may not tell you about Fibromyalgia by Paul StArmand Page 104---for a start..Thank you. Why are you posting? are you experiencing IBS symptoms like the rest of us? please share with us.

#17 CathyW

CathyW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:39 PM

Advertisement
just wanted to mention that thyroid problems can cause palpatations and didestive problems. worth checking.

#18 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:05 AM

Advertisement
quote:
Hope and help for your nerves by Claire Weeks page 50, Peace from Nervous Suffering by Claire Weeks page 32, Staying Healthy with the Seasons by Elson M Haas,M.D. page 78 and What your doctor may not tell you about Fibromyalgia by Paul StArmand Page 104---for a start.
I haven't seen these books, but their titles suggest they might be trying to say that people who have the conditions they describe are susceptible to things like palpitations and gas in the gut per se is not playing a specific physiological role in inducing them.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#19 mountainheather

mountainheather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 01:33 PM

Advertisement
When I get lots of pain and bloating I quite often have trouble breathing and my pulse quickens too.Thanks for this thread, a lot of what you guys have said makes sense.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here