16 replies to this topic

#1 honeymunchkin

honeymunchkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

Advertisement
Hi guys. I always bloat up after eating or drinking anything. In the morning today, I just woke up and my stomach is very flat. I just had a lot of gas releasing yesterday (heheh) and then I woke up today feeling really light - a feeling I haven't had in a long time.The problem is, why would I have so much gas after eating/drinking even one small thing? Right now, I'm afraid to eat breakfast because I'm feeling so good. But of course, I have to eat! These couple of days I had a lot of ice pops, freezies, things with a lot of just, well plain sugar and water.. so that was kind of obvious that sugar was my problem. Sugar causes gas right? Why would my stomach be really badly affected by it though? Does excess bad bacteria in the stomach create gas from sugar and that is the reason why I get bloated?The weird thing is though, I will eat anything, even drink one sip of water, and the bottom part of my stomach gets big. I hate when that happens! It's uncomfortable too, so I know it's not just a normal, stomach get bigger after eating kind of thing. So if that happens, water has no sugar, so sugar is not my trigger??And why would is suddenly bloat really bad at the bottom of my stomach? Sometimes I think I have fat there, but today I realized it was just gassy bloat. Gas makes stomach expand right? Now my questions are... Do you guys have any suggestions on how to relieve this gas? Are there any less sugary diets or something I should be aware of? Do you guys think that I have too much bacteria that causes gas and why do I bloat up after anything? Please suggest some elimination diets.. I am quite sure though that the sugar water popsicles and freezies were a bad trigger so that should be a clue. What about non-starchy things?Sorry about the long post... I hope everyone reads through it because I am desperate for help.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:45 AM

At least for me the right after eating more upper GI bloating doesn't seem to be gas.Digestive enzyme supplements with pancreatic enzymes in them taken at the beginning of the meal seems to help with this.I usually get it as a side effect of certain medication combiniations I sometimes take that effect the stomach.Usually gas bloating would be a few hours after a meal when the food gets to the bacteria that make the gas.If it happens right after eating that is usually an upper GI issue.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 honeymunchkin

honeymunchkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:27 PM

Actually come to think of it, I get really full after eating a bit. It isn't really bloating straight after a meal.. my stomach expands after a drink of water is what I'm saying, kmottus.I will try and see about those digestive enzymes though.And my gas bloating does happen a few hours after a meal.. I had it bad yesterday and could feel it gurgling by just jumping up and down.. yuck... So what would help with the bacteria that creates gas? Probiotics??Any suggestions for food I should avoid?

#4 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 05:37 PM

k-quote:If it happens right after eating that is usually an upper GI issue.yeah me too rigth after but pain mostly in the lower bowel. Posted Image
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#5 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:00 AM

Usually if it is right as you eat it is upper GI because the stomach can't handle distension. You put a balloon in a stomach and blow it up and people with Funt. Dyspepsia get pain, etc. all out of proportion to the balloon.Now the stomach TELLS your intestines that you just ate. Some people over-respond to that and get pain.Pain and bloating are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.You can bloat during/right after a meal,You could get most of the bloat ~3 hours later when the food hits the colonic bacteria.Pain is a separate issue from the bloat and may come from many other things other than bloat.The normal "move things along" the colon does after you eat can cause pain and have NOTHING AT ALL to do with the bloat.Spasman...I am really really that confusing, or do you just need to question every word that comes out of my mouth???It seems I can't say much lately without you taking issue with what I say.K.PS Probiotics may help with the colonic flora, also it may be interseting to compare a high starch meal with a low starch one to see how much the diet effects this for you.
Ph.D in Biology

#6 honeymunchkin

honeymunchkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

Ok, I will try that starch thing soon. But the problem is I don't know what a low starch meal would be and a high one... could you outline some low starch foods and high starch? Why would my stomach not handle distention? There must be a reason!

#7 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:39 PM

K Posted Image Keep sharing.I'm not an "english expert" so few words may confuse me a bit.Like "issue" or bloating which i think mean G.I. balooning.Also Flux influence me. Posted Image
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#8 honeymunchkin

honeymunchkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:23 AM

Bump for Kmottus

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:20 PM

I'm not sure they fully understand the mechanism behind the whole distending a GI part mechanically causes discomfort thing.They know it happens (stomach for FD and rectal for IBS) and it is likely the nervous system is a part of that (and brain scans show some differences in the whole what the signals do once they get to the brain thing at least with IBS).I hope they get a handle on exactly what causes the hypersensitivity to being distended, but that seems to still be something that needs to be fully researched (first you gotta find the problem, then you can start pulling it apart).A high starch meal would look like Bread and butter, pasta with sauce, and to top it all off add a baked potato to the mix, and a cake for dessert.A low starch meal looks like meat with vegetables and fruit for dessert.Peas, corn and beans (like pinto's kidney, etc) tend to be starchy vegetables so vegetables other than those.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#10 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:31 PM

http://diabetes.about.com/cs/nutrition101/...ch_exchange.htm may help you figure out starchy foods as a first pass.It is a list of what to eat to add starch to the diet in an exchange program (basically a diet where you get like 3 meat, 4 starch, 2 fat, etc things you can eat in a day, and these lists help you figure out what you can use to eat that item for the day)K.
Ph.D in Biology

#11 Rosalene

Rosalene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:51 AM

hi um after I eat dinner I usually have diarra and my stomach bloats but when I wake up in the morning I feel flat like nothing is in there from the night before, how many of you use the bathroom every day after you eat any meals? write back thanks-

#12 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:09 AM

kmottus - i'm confused - why would the stomach sensing distension cause the lower GI bloat? - b/c the GI tract contracts? so actually we're talking about spasms and gastro-colic reflex? Or are you talkinga bout another issue - thats right, you mentioned dyspepsia. How is this related to lower GI problems? i'm not saying you are wrong - just confused. i get exactly what honeymunchkin gets and i never thought it was related to stomach however i also get a LOT of upper gi pressure - not necessarily after i eat though, sometimes WELL after I eat. i thought we were having spasms from exaggerated gastro-colic reflex - then stomach muscles were responding to that pressure and helping to create the distension. this is how i seem to be able to go from flat to super-distended. it also feels as if EVERYTHING guts and all are becoming concentrated and pushed out - but something from behind in my back - a muscle. boy would i LOVE to see this happening in my body - like exray it or somethign as it occurs. I cannot believe they still do not understand the mechanics of bloating when its sucha VISIBLE phenomenon - and irritating one as well!and usually after i have the lower GI bloating it will take several days to go down. its like i reach a bloated SUMMIT before I de-distend. and lately I never fully de-distend. i believe this is b/c the spasms help the guts accumulate gas which perpetuates the problem. which is very confusing b/c when you expel all the gas and turn flat, you think your initial bloat was related to gas, but really it wasn't - it was spasms.what do you think of that? i wish flux would get on here.Spasman, I love your "also Flux influence me" comment - that was cute! I was hoping I stay Flux-free but I fear he also influence me!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

#13 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:51 AM

When the stomach fills it sends signals to the rest of the GI tract.This can cause the colon to start "moving things along" for some this is a very painful thing. And I was mostly talking about how filling the stomach can cause pain in the rest of the GI tract more than bloat.However.For some that pain may be part of the bloat (rather than gas) your abdominal wall when pulled in hurts the colon that is spasming (or otherwise in pain from the moving things along) and so your abdomeinal wall pouches out.Now the moving things around may also effect distribution of gas, or your response to it.You CANNOT create a bunch of gas in the colon IMMEDIATELY after eating. The food you just ate needs to get to the bacteria which takes a few hours. But you do have gas and stool and stuff from previous meals and if you do not "handle" that well the "move things along" signal might cause it to accumulate in bad ways, or cause pain that you respond to, etc.If you fart out the gas and go flat than at least some part of the bloat/distenstion is gas. But when I was farting up a storm every evening (I would have no bloat, but after going to bed I would fart usually what felt like high volume farts every couple of minutes for a half hour or so... ), I wasn't bloated or distended, so it is not a clear 1 to 1 correlation.Did that clear it up any??K.
Ph.D in Biology

#14 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:26 PM

"For some that pain may be part of the bloat (rather than gas) your abdominal wall when pulled in hurts the colon that is spasming (or otherwise in pain from the moving things along) and so your abdominal wall pouches out."but what if you have no pain? and you have this pouching out thing? a recurring symptom I have is a hardness that pops in and out as i'm talking or breathing - under my right rib. it feels as if muscle or colon is pushed up there. if you listen to that area you can hear it pop in and out and i'm telling you its hard. i think this is a severe spasm but the colon feels empty there. what would cause that? i never get pain ever - even though my spasms seem severe. if my colon is all crunched up - could it cause other organs to slide into place they aren't supposed to be? sometimes i feel the space between my lower rib and hip bone are dangerously close due to all this spasming.i also get other sensations like my back muscles are too long - and can't depress them to breath. can that be caused by colon talking to abdominal muscles. but still, seems like there's no feeling coming from my colon sometimes. i can be completely empty and pain free and have horrible visible abdominal spasms all over the place.i am also getting flabby and fat where the stomach pouches out - is that normal. when i didn't have ibs i have the abdomen of steel!

#15 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

But those might be due to the other issues we've discussed previously (something that isn't IBS).With IBS the pain seems to be an issue.But you could still sense things without it being painful and it could trigger your problems (even if they are not IBS).I do think that something like the "stif man" thing is your issue (some skelatal muscle problem) and that could cause all sorts of things that are NOT IBS bloating but make you pouch out.Fat and flabby could also be age, body weight, etc.K.PS....any luck with those links I posted for you??
Ph.D in Biology

#16 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:27 AM

kmottus,I did look at them but didn't get anywhere really. thx tho

#17 Guest_joanofarc_*

Guest_joanofarc_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:29 AM

sorry for the ahhhhhh everybody - i screwed up this thread

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here