#1 bubbles

bubbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 06:46 PM

Advertisement
I've been taking acidophilus for two days now and I am finding (maybe it's all in my head?) that I start to feel sick to my stomach a little while afterwards...is this normal? Do you think that maybe I'll get used to it and that this is how the body reacts when first taking live bacteria supplements?[This message has been edited by bubbles (edited 08-22-2000).]

Advertisement

#2 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 08:25 PM

Hi bubbles:I haven't heard of that reaction, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Maybe someone else here can clue you in.Is there anything else you are doing different lately? Are you any more stressed than usual? I know that if I eat when I'm real stressed I can get an upset stomach.I hope you figure it out soon. You could stop taking them for a few days to see what happens, and then start up again. Let us know what you find out. JeanG[This message has been edited by JeanG (edited 08-22-2000).]
*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

#3 linr

linr

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 08:36 PM

I have taken acidophilus before and had a bad case of D. I tried it a couple of times and each time it happened. I have also tried Culturelle. No D but a lot of gas and some discomfort. Who knows? Guess we just have to keep trying things till we find something that works.

#4 tezbear

tezbear

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 08:41 PM

It shouldn't make you feel sick because it's not supposed to break down in your stomach. It's supposed to be coated so it breaks down only in the colon. It is very natural and shouldn't cause stomach problems. Maybe it's a coincidence. I have taken for 12 yrs w/out any side effects. I take probiotics which have more strains of bacteria than just acidophilus.

#5 bubbles

bubbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 09:39 PM

yeah, it could be stress...ever since I've started with this gas problem that hasn't gone away and only gotten worse, I haven't been able to eat in peace...i don't know.

#6 vikee

vikee

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 09:56 PM

Hi all, I use Culturelle, which for me helps control gas. It is not suppose to be "touched" till it gets pass stomach acid. Don't know just where acidophilus changes but it is needed as active in the large intestines. Some brands are not affective since they don't stand up to stomach acid etc. Perhaps this can also cause other problerms.I recently read (sorry don't recall where but it was reliable information) that some people initially experience an increase in intestional gas as the acidophilus starts to kill unhealthy bacteria. This effect (gas) goes away as the bacteria are until control, (it didn't say how long that could take). So perhaps keeping this in mind may help.vikee
"There are truths which are not for all men, nor for all times." Voltaire

#7 JeanG

JeanG

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,922 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 10:10 PM

Hi vikee:I remember that article now too, that you've mentioned it, and that people may have gas at first.One thing, though, is that acidophilus does not kill the bad bacteria. It boosts the good bacteria in your system. Antibiotics wipe out good and bad bacteria, and the acidophilus replaces the good. JeanG
*** Seeking accurate information in the fight against IBS ***

#8 vikee

vikee

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 22 August 2000 - 11:03 PM

Hi Jean and Bubbles, etc,I stand corrected!!! Am not thinking too clearly on this. I think I made this mistake on another post and hope someone caught it.Antibiotics are the killers of all bacteria and Acidophilus replaces the good bacteria that is missing and is needed for digestion!!vikee

#9 ziglady

ziglady

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 24 August 2000 - 06:30 PM

My gyno NP told me not to take more tahn 6 acidophilus tablets a day or I'd get gas and bloating. I often notice a bit of nausea a half hour after taking acidophilus--even though they are enteric coated. (Maybe it's a reaction to the coating?) Taking it WITH a meal seems to help.

#10 jane93

jane93

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 August 2000 - 11:49 PM

I disagree. Don't take it with a meal...otherwise it will stick around in the stomach and may not make it to the intestines. I take the enteric coated kind once a day at night and it helps tremendously with reducing gas and bloating.

#11 Guest_Lil_*

Guest_Lil_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2000 - 12:00 AM

Bubbles,I've had major problems with stomach upset and acidophilus- the capsule form comes right back up after I take it! I don't know what forms you've tried, but I've had much better luck with chewable tablets. I hope you can find a form that works for you.

#12 Guest_LawStudent99_*

Guest_LawStudent99_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2000 - 12:20 AM

I've taken acidophilus in three forms: tablet (did nothing to improve C nor gas), capsules (only gave me borderline D), and in yogurt (real bad D - before I knew I was lactose intolerant). I've taken it with meals and without and in different strengths: it either gave me D or did nothing. Some things just don't work for everybody. I doubt most people who have IBS have a lack of good bacteria in the gut; though it is worth a try -just like every other supplement people take and recommend. Sometimes I may get sick when the food is in the stomach, other times when it is just beginning to go through the intestine, others when it is at the end, and others at all stages. Obviously this disease is too complex. It's sad; when I first got this it was called a digestive disorder but now it is a disease. Oh well.

#13 jane93

jane93

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 25 August 2000 - 02:37 PM

LawStudent..IBS is NOT a disease it is a chronic disorder.While acidopholis/probiotics may not work for everyone there is considerable evidence that it does influence benficial bacteria in the gut and this can help reduce some of the symptoms associated with IBS in some people. I think Eric and JeanG have some citations. If it is making you sick its possible you could try a different brand as there are no FDA standards for supplements. There are some on this board who have had wonderful results using it (Fatigued?)Even my regular GP thought that taking probiotics may be a good idea and he isn't one to listen to alternative therapies.

#14 vikee

vikee

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 August 2000 - 03:24 AM

Hi Bubbles,I agree with what Jane has said. Except please note that Culturelle ( a probiotic) Can withstand stomach even if taken with Food. Check it out at this website. It works for me! vikee http://www.culturelle.com/index.html

#15 bubbles

bubbles

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 August 2000 - 07:27 AM

Oh, I take mine right after my breakfast...maybe that's not a good idea? I take the Trader Joe's brand...how often or how many times a day do you take it? I only take mine that one time after breakfast--it is in capsule form, uncoated.

#16 vikee

vikee

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 26 August 2000 - 09:36 PM

Bubbles, I'm not familiar with Trader Joe's brand. If it's a capsule it may still be made to withstand stomach acid. What does the label say about acid and how many to take and when? If it does not say anything about stomach acid I suggest you start reading labels in the store.Happy label reading! Perhaps someone else can offer more information.vikee

#17 Guest_LawStudent99_*

Guest_LawStudent99_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2000 - 09:51 PM

I always thought of IBS as a digestive disorder but doctors are starting to call it a disease. It doesn't mean IBS is deadly or harmful, just that lots more people have it. And I've taken too many brands of Acidophilus GNC, Natures Way, Naturemade, Schiff, etc . . . it still either did nothing or gave me D.

#18 Sherlock

Sherlock

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 August 2000 - 10:27 AM

Acidophilus should be taken on an empty stomach...that's one hour before or two hours after eating. Even if you can't find Culturelle, which many people (not me) take, you should be able to find enteric coated capsules that will survive the stomach acids. It really shouldn't make you feel sick since it doesn't break down until it reaches the gut. Check the label on your bottle...there may be something else in it that you are reacting to. I know I grabbed the wrong bottle once and got capsules that had added magnesium stearate, which for a "D" person is not a good thing. (at least for me) Try looking for one that says "Non-Dairy" on the label. Unless you are taking the Culturelle brand, make sure you're buying live, refridgerated capsules, and keep them in the fridge at home.[This message has been edited by Sherlock (edited 08-27-2000).]
------------------------------
Ne Obliviscaris ~ Forget Not.

#19 Guest_poopookaka_*

Guest_poopookaka_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2000 - 05:03 PM

Ok I just started taking ACIDOPHILUS yesterday and after 4 hours I couldnt stop pueking! Naseau! I was feeling ok for a while and figured Id give Acid a try .Im taking it again and hope my system will adapt to it*I just posted this today and found this post .Im glad others have experienced this.What do you guys think?

#20 Guest_nycspunk_*

Guest_nycspunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2000 - 07:45 PM

Clueless as to why .*Bump to get repliesBe well###------>>------

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here