Goldenseal for Gas?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sowhynot_*

Guest_sowhynot_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2004 - 03:03 PM

Advertisement
Has anyone tried taking Goldenseal to see if it reduces the gas? I've been reading some of the posts regarding bacteria growth and was wondering if a herbal supplement that is supposed to be a "natural antibiotic" has any effect - good or bad?

Advertisement

#2 Guest_sowhynot_*

Guest_sowhynot_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2004 - 03:09 PM

Just doing a little of my own research - and found this: from: http://community.healthgate.com/GetContent...d=/tnp/pg000656 Extremely weak evidence (far too weak to rely upon at all) suggests that goldenseal or berberine may have actions that could lead it to be helpful for various heart related conditions, including arrythmias, congestive heart failure, and high blood pressure.15,16 Similarly, infinitesimal evidence hints that goldenseal could be helpful for conditions in which spasms of smooth muscle play a role, such as dyspepsia (non-specific stomach distress) and irritable bowel syndrome, as well as various forms of pain caused by inflammation.I'm willing to get it a try - but was hoping someone in this forum has tried it first!

#3 Arnie W

Arnie W

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:45 AM

I was recommended to take 400 mg 3 times a day, but have only been on it a few days, so it's too early to detect any improvement yet.It was difficult to track down a product that could give me that dosage, and I was actually told that it was impossible, but I managed to get hold of Berberine Complex, so you could consider that.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here