Advertisement

Photo

may be a silly question: is pot okay the day b4 colonoscopy?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 methical

methical

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 12:48 PM

Advertisement
okay, so it's definitely kind of silly. but i'm a pothead (much of it due to my ibs coping years ago), and i've been thru the golytley/nulytely procedure once before; my colonoscopy's tomorrow morning, and i would definitely not mind relaxing with a blunt after going thru all this crazy cleansing this afternoon.is it okay to smoke pot during the day-before preps? it's obviously not the same thing is avoiding non-clear foods and such, but i wonder if docs frown on it, or if it makes any difference as far as quality of the procedure. what do you guys think?sorry, kind of a silly question, i know. "why don't you just not smoke for a day and not risk it?" started to get curious, i guess.meth

Advertisement

#2 SLBEL3

SLBEL3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 01:05 PM

NO IT IS DEFINITELY NOT OK!Any type of drug whether it be street or pharmacy should be discontinued 48 hours prior to any proceedure that includes the use of any type of anesthesia and or muscle relaxer such as versed and fentanyl. You can either have a very serious reaction because drugs are in your system for 48-72 hours after consumption, or they won't be able to give you enough medication to sedate you enough.I am having a colonoscopy in January and because I am on Percocet daily for pain (ruptured disks in back, fibromyalgia, ibs, and multiple sclerosis) they cannot give me the stuff they use to sedate. They have to completely put me under for my colonoscopy even if I discontinue the percocet in advance.So if you want to have a "safe" procedure then do not smoke pot before hand.
Love, hugs, and prayers
Sandi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Live life to the fullest, while you can, because you never know when you won't be able to anymore.

#3 WD40

WD40

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 04:00 PM

NO, don't do it as it may make the prep worse. I agree with SLBEL3.

#4 loulou

loulou

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 04:07 PM

I don't think it would hurt. I took vicodin the morning of my colonoscopy. And they give you some pretty good drugs to do the colonoscopy. They do ask you if you've taken any drugs that morning. I don't know the half life of pot but vicodin is 4 hours. Good Luck, LouLou

#5 G0NE

G0NE

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 04:13 PM

I have no idea about weed, but I've taken lomotil before every operation I've had in recent history. Two hernia surgeries and a colonoscopy.Just ask the doc, I don't think they are obligated to report.ben

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here