Advertisement

Photo

Do Atkins products contain things that would cause gas???

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 03:50 PM

Advertisement
When I break my fast on Sunday, I'd like to also eat my Atkins bars and Atkins muffins.They contain soy protein, whey protein, and malitol (sp?).The "net" carbs in each serving is only 2 for those doing Atkins - these are the carbs that affect blood sugar. Are these things ok for gas?Thanks,Lisa
Why are you different? Why are you that way? If you don’t get in line, we'll lock you away
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal
http://www.iraqbodycount.net

Advertisement

#2 anonymoose

anonymoose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 04:04 PM

i wouldnt touch soy or whey. look up the links on my response to the soy questions. i wouldnt even eat soup that has small amounts of soy in it. like i said on the other post, only meat, veggies, seeds, and raw organic eggs. possibly fruit and beans if they dont give you trouble. i think thats the only way i am gonna get rid of my troubles.

#3 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 08:08 PM

Oh man, I just spent over $100.00 on Atkins and related products!!!!I will go and look up your posts. This is what I usually eat, anonymoose, and I would appreciate you letting me know what you think:Atkins bars and muffinsnutsmeatcheeseeggssaladscooked veggiesoil & vinegar dressingKMottus, Flux, would you say soy protein and whey protein cause gas?Thanks,Lisa
Why are you different? Why are you that way? If you don’t get in line, we'll lock you away
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#4 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 10:33 PM

Lisa; I often wondered about those only "2 Carb" products. Several companies put them out. I think they contain and undigestabale sugar. You have to get your maginifying glass out and read the smallest print.. Malt.. is a corn product and a sugar.They probably are as good for you as anythning. Other than chicken broth and rice and cooked green beans. Which somehow cause me to have a gassy smell too. Posted Image Posted Image

#5 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 12:12 AM

Thank you Joycein OH.When you say you've wondered about them, do you mean you are sceptical about them, or wondered if they were good for IBS or not?It's the soy and whey protein that I think might cause gas, becasuse from what I've been told the non-digestible sugars cannot cause gas.Lisa Posted Image
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#6 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 02:11 PM

bump
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#7 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 06:36 PM

When I said I wondered about them, I mean are there carbs in there that they don't count as carbs. Like artifical sweeteners. I didn't see that they helped or hendered me in any way, but them like I said it is other people that notice the odor not me.I have several sympthoms of IBS but the odor thing is what is ruining my life.

#8 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 09:28 PM

quote:
would you say soy protein and whey protein cause gas?
Depends on whether there are any of the carbs in the soy still present. I suspect not, though. "Complete" soy, in general, would, however, especially it comes from conventional soybeans: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/quer...5&dopt=Abstract Whey may contain lactose, but you'd need a fair amount to make a difference.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#9 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 12:23 AM

Flux,Thank you so much for your information. Is there anyway of me finding out whether the Atkins bars I have been eating contain low-oligosaccharide soybeans? As I said, I absolutely love them and have just spent over $100 on them.These bars and related products add a lot of variety to this type of diet - a diet I stick with because it took away my IBS symptoms (for five moths anyway). However, it has only been in the last month or so that I've been eating two bars a day. Could this account for my recent severe relapse?By the way, tomorrow is day 3 of my water fast, and as I suspected, all of my symptoms are gone. Is the right thing to do to reintroduce normal foods first, make sure those are okay, and then try an Atkins bar to see what happens?One last question (sorry) � do you think low carb chocolate bars with Malitol and dairy could cause gas? What about wheat gluten?Thanks so much,Lisa Posted Image
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#10 missC

missC

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 05:48 PM

lisa, maltitol in diabetic chocolate gives me THE worst gas EVER!

#11 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:01 AM

quote:
maltitol in diabetic chocolate gives me THE worst gas EVER!
I am so confused!!!! I have heard that Malitol cannot be digested, and therefore cannot give us gas!!!Lisa
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#12 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 12:51 PM

quote:
Is there anyway of me finding out whether the Atkins bars I have been eating contain low-oligosaccharide soybeans?
You could call the manufacturer and ask.
quote:
it has only been in the last month or so that I've been eating two bars a day. Could this account for my recent severe relapse?
I don't know how a food could do this unless it were a very particular component that just happened to feed a very particular bacteria.
quote:
all of my symptoms are gone.
Impressive.
quote:
Is the right thing to do to reintroduce normal foods first, make sure those are okay, and then try an Atkins bar to see what happens?
I would start simple: white rice, organic meat (lamb).
quote:
I have heard that Malitol cannot be digested, and therefore cannot give us gas!!!
No digestion by humans, but bacteria definitely, so it should be majorly gas-producing, but not odoriferous gases.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#13 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 01:01 PM

Thank-you once again.
quote:
I don't know how a food could do this unless it were a very particular component that just happened to feed a very particular bacteria.
Do you have any idea what could have caused the relapse of gas and distension?
quote:
Impressive.
Why? Can you elaborate? Isn't that what you wanted the fast to do? So what do I do with this impressive result? Posted Image I have only had chicken, hard cheese, and celery sticks so far. I will not have rice because I am determined to stick with Atkins. If the above bother me, I will give in and eat rice. As well as trying to find organic lamb. I will report back.
quote:
No digestion by humans, but bacteria definitely, so it should be majorly gas-producing, but not odoriferous gases.
S*** Posted Image (Pardon my language, but they added such delicious variety to my diet, and I've just spent a fortune on the bloody things, along with Atkins bars)Flux, does this mean that even Splenda will cause gas?Thanks,Lisa Posted Image
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#14 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 04:28 PM

All of the sugar alcohols are found in nature, and thus tend to be the sorts of things some bacteria will feed on. Most of them I think are used as sweeteners because if it is found in food, you can pretty much use it as a food additive without having to do a lot of testing (that whole GRAS thing...basically if you eat a bunch of it every time you eat an apple....like with sorbitol...then it is somewhat reasonable that you would consider it safe to put in other things)If I recall correctly Splenda is made by altering the bond between the fructose and glucose to one that is not found naturally. So I think it is less likely for bacteria to be predisposed to digest it (but who know is you left some long enough with nothing else to eat they might be able to).K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#15 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 11:42 AM

I did some looking around about Splenda.The bond is made by substituting things into increase how tightly the glucose and fructose is bound together. This is stable at high temps, and at least for the bacteria in the mouth these bacteria are not able to digest (fement) Splenda.So it seems unlikely the bacteria in the colon would easily break this down. And if you can't break the two sugars apart, you can't use it to make gas.Hope this helps.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#16 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:01 PM

K, everything you write helps!Can I ask you a couple more questions?So I fasted for three days and have only had chicken, veggies and cheese.I am already feeling a dull ache, but my distension is not what it was (yet - I almost feel it coming).The ache feels like a combination of IBS and how I feel when I get period cramps. I want to know if my distension will come back when I eat something that causes me, personally, to have gas, or if there could be some other cause.I am getting worried that I will never be able to be without this problem as soon as I eat - it doesn't seem to matter what I eat.My stomach looked so good when I was fasting - of course I can't stop eating, but I refuse (yeah, I'm so tough Posted Image ) to feel that way again.When should I re-introduce nuts, if ever, and other staples of the Atkins-type diet? Could I say, in your opinion, that there could be a connection between me feeling bad and eating a lot of Atkins products that contain soy and whey protein? (I know Flux helped me above, but I want more opinions of whether they are gas-causing)Do you agree that Malitol found in sugar-free chocolate bars would be bad?Can Stevia cause gas?Lastly, can I get away with being healthy and only consuming around 1000 calories per day?Thanks,Lisa Posted Image
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#17 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:31 PM

quote:
am getting worried that I will never be able to be without this problem as soon as I eat - it doesn't seem to matter what I eat.
Volume could also be an issue. Suggest staying at a low-volume of food (and especially low-fat) for a bit and see what happens.Another option is to consume just nutrients: Ensure, etc.

#18 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 October 2003 - 12:48 PM

quote:
Suggest staying at a low-volume of food (and especially low-fat) for a bit and see what happens
OK, I will, but then when I start to eat again, won't I gain weight? I have heard also that since I am not giving my body much, it will store everything as fat. I work out though......does that help?So Flux, you are basically saying to go off my Atkins diet. I don't go crazy with fat, but I do eat cheese, chicken, bacon, a bit of butter on veggies, and would love to eat nuts again.When I can I have cream in my tea? Or tea at all!Also, how long is a little bit?Will the sugar in Ensure ruin Atkins if I end up able to stay on it?Thanks,Lisa Posted Image
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#19 LisaL

LisaL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:38 PM

Bump for Flux
-Dave Matthews

LIVE and LET LIVE
Jesus Was a Liberal

#20 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 03:13 AM

quote:
I will, but then when I start to eat again, won't I gain weight? I have heard also that since I am not giving my body much, it will store everything as fat. I work out though......does that help?
Weight gain depends solely upon how much you put in (calories) versus how much you put out (exercise).
quote:
diet. I don't go crazy with fat, but I do eat cheese, chicken, bacon, a bit of butter on veggies, and would love to eat nuts again.
Fats are theoretically the worst thing for bloating/distension, so I watch to see how any of these things really does this. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/quer...5&dopt=Abstract for more information about this.If it does, you'd probably want to ask your doctor for Creon to see if it can offset this effect.Finally, whatever happened to the x-ray?
quote:
Will the sugar in Ensure ruin Atkins if I end up able to stay on it?
Ensure would be something you try before going back to a full diet. Ensure theoretically is something that should digest well and bypass the "complexity" in food that could be a trigger for symptoms. (Of course, if fat is making it worse, then there would be no getting around that.)

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here