10 Imodium a day and still getting diarrhoea ?ibs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_steve37_*

Guest_steve37_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2001 - 06:45 PM

Advertisement
I have been suffering diarrhoea for 3 years and have been steadily increasing my dose of imodium, i am taking 10 a day now and still getting watery D, particularly after fatty foods.All investigations have proven normal but i struggle against diarrhoea EVERY day and have lost about 20 pounds in weight ( i am really skinny now) I am really at the end of my tether now, what should i try next? I am on an experimental course of Creon for chronic pancreatitis but after a week i have not noticed any appreciable improvement. Obviously i think there is some other reason for my symptoms e.g. IBD, but as i say all tests have found nothing. My colonoscopy did reveal some ulcers but these were "non specific". I would like to hear from anybody else with IBS who has to take as much medication as i do to control it, it would put my mind at rest.

Advertisement

#2 Guest_betta_*

Guest_betta_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2001 - 07:13 PM

I've had IBS-d for so long it feels like I was born with it. Since I lost lontronex I have started taking immdiuom again. I take from6 to 10 a day just to be able to go to work. It works pretty good most days but about once a week the D breaks through. Also I have a lot of gas. I try to avoid foods that make it worse like pizza and mexican food. I don't think taking this much will hurt us but I'm not really sure. I take it because without it I surley could't go to work.

#3 Guest_betta_*

Guest_betta_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2001 - 07:13 PM

I've had IBS-d for so long it feels like I was born with it. Since I lost lontronex I have started taking immdiuom again. I take from6 to 10 a day just to be able to go to work. It works pretty good most days but about once a week the D breaks through. Also I have a lot of gas. I try to avoid foods that make it worse like pizza and mexican food. I don't think taking this much will hurt us but I'm not really sure. I take it because without it I surley could't go to work.

#4 w_bgal

w_bgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 July 2001 - 10:52 PM

A few days ago I started taking Imodium before I had a D attack. I take two at night right before I go to bed and two in the morning as soon as I get up, before anything else hits my insides. This seems to work better than taking it after the fact. After the first bathroom run, even though it is formed, I take another two.Am I saying this is the final answer? A big NO, because it has only been a few days. It is going to get a good test though because I had a fresh tomatoe, skin and all for dinner.It might be worth a try.Rhea

#5 w_bgal

w_bgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 July 2001 - 10:52 PM

A few days ago I started taking Imodium before I had a D attack. I take two at night right before I go to bed and two in the morning as soon as I get up, before anything else hits my insides. This seems to work better than taking it after the fact. After the first bathroom run, even though it is formed, I take another two.Am I saying this is the final answer? A big NO, because it has only been a few days. It is going to get a good test though because I had a fresh tomatoe, skin and all for dinner.It might be worth a try.Rhea

#6 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2001 - 11:13 PM

You might want to read this thread by LNAPE about calcium helping diarrhea http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008610.html
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

#7 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2001 - 11:13 PM

You might want to read this thread by LNAPE about calcium helping diarrhea http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008610.html
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

#8 TERIO

TERIO

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 July 2001 - 02:56 AM

TRY THE CALCIUM! Also lomotil is alittle stronger than immodium. Ask doc. But try the calcium first, I have a feeling it will help and cut your dosage with immodium. Terio

#9 TERIO

TERIO

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 July 2001 - 02:56 AM

TRY THE CALCIUM! Also lomotil is alittle stronger than immodium. Ask doc. But try the calcium first, I have a feeling it will help and cut your dosage with immodium. Terio

#10 ShyOne

ShyOne

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 05:27 PM

Rhea..this also works for me,and it was my GI who suggested it several years ago.I can't do it everyday though because I get real bad stomach cramps,but I stick to it faithfully while on vacation.

#11 ShyOne

ShyOne

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 05:27 PM

Rhea..this also works for me,and it was my GI who suggested it several years ago.I can't do it everyday though because I get real bad stomach cramps,but I stick to it faithfully while on vacation.

#12 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,858 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:13 PM

Questran is a bile binder (you release bile usually proportionally to the fat in a meal). Some people find it helps with diarrhea. It constipates soemthing like 30% of normal people that take it (usually prescribed to lower cholesterol).Did they check for C. dif.? It causes unrelenting watery diarrhea. Usually it starts after a round of antibiotics.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#13 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,858 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:13 PM

Questran is a bile binder (you release bile usually proportionally to the fat in a meal). Some people find it helps with diarrhea. It constipates soemthing like 30% of normal people that take it (usually prescribed to lower cholesterol).Did they check for C. dif.? It causes unrelenting watery diarrhea. Usually it starts after a round of antibiotics.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#14 Guest_steve37_*

Guest_steve37_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice, i've bought some calcium tablets today so i'll see how they go. They can't do any harm can they...and i've tried everytging else!

#15 Guest_steve37_*

Guest_steve37_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the advice, i've bought some calcium tablets today so i'll see how they go. They can't do any harm can they...and i've tried everytging else!

#16 LotronexLover

LotronexLover

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:48 PM

Calcium constipates you - that may work. Or ask your doctor about Remeron...that has worked very well for me. It blocks your seratonin 5Ht3 receptor controlling gut reaction. I use to pass pills whole before Lotronex & Remeron.

#17 LotronexLover

LotronexLover

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:48 PM

Calcium constipates you - that may work. Or ask your doctor about Remeron...that has worked very well for me. It blocks your seratonin 5Ht3 receptor controlling gut reaction. I use to pass pills whole before Lotronex & Remeron.

#18 w_bgal

w_bgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 08:03 PM

ShyOne, I think maybe the problem is going to be figuring the right amount to take. I ended up sitting in the bathroom because I got constipated (duh) so I tried cutting the imodium down to one pill twice a day .... not enough. Try the balancing act again.Calcium (without magnesium) did not work for me. I stuck it out for several weeks but was reaching the point of almost dehydration because I was running so many times day and night, so I dropped that.One thing, for those who can take a nap during the day, it does help.Sometimes I think I am as stubborn as this IBS, if that is possible.Rhea

#19 w_bgal

w_bgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 08:03 PM

ShyOne, I think maybe the problem is going to be figuring the right amount to take. I ended up sitting in the bathroom because I got constipated (duh) so I tried cutting the imodium down to one pill twice a day .... not enough. Try the balancing act again.Calcium (without magnesium) did not work for me. I stuck it out for several weeks but was reaching the point of almost dehydration because I was running so many times day and night, so I dropped that.One thing, for those who can take a nap during the day, it does help.Sometimes I think I am as stubborn as this IBS, if that is possible.Rhea

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here