Advertisement

Photo

Non-prescriptive meds for spastic colon? Bentyl side effects?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ruby333

ruby333

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 August 2003 - 06:48 PM

Advertisement
Hi,I'm an IBS-C predominate person, but when I do have a "normal" BM, my colon spasms terribly, which leaves me with cramps and pains and feeling like I constantly have to go. I've read about Bentyl which I'm going to suggest to my doctor, but has anyone had any negative side effects from using Bentyl? Also, is it available without a prescription? If not, what kinds of "alternative" meds are good for spastic colons? I've been using enteric coated peppermint capsules for a few days and they seem to help with cramps and gas, but the spasms are still there. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 01:29 PM

The main side effects of Bentyl (or any of the anticholinergic antispasmodics) is that they can cause dry mouth, reduce sweating (so they may make you more sensitive to over-heating) and for some people increase blood pressure.Peppermint is usually the OTC spasmodic recommended, so I don't know what the difference you have between "cramps" and "spasms". although it sounds like you call the "incomplete evacuation" sensations the spasms??Some people find Bentyl and similar drugs tend to constipate them, but some people with IBS-C do well on them...so your mileage may vary.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Jackie-G

Jackie-G

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 19 August 2003 - 01:43 PM

My 15 yr old son has been on bentyl for over a year. He's had no bad side effects -- just a little dry mouth. He's a runner, so we concentrate on keeping him hydrated. The bentyl does not eliminate the spasms for him, but it does lessen them. When he's having a particularly bad time (more than just a day or so) he switches to donnatol. He was on donnatol for two months last winter then switched back to bentyl. He only takes one bentyl a day and this summer he's been able to use it "as needed".None of the OTC meds helped much. In the beginning, when his symptoms were really bad he did take some probiotics, which helped.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here