stool softeners

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Davis20022002_*

Guest_Davis20022002_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2001 - 10:41 PM

Advertisement
I suffer from chronic constipation. How safe are stool softeners on a daily basis?

Advertisement

#2 jo-jo

jo-jo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 11:42 PM

metamucil or other natural bulk forming fiber is safe for daily use but x-lax, senna, ect.is not because your intestine become lazy over time and the intestine cannot function without it making constipation worse. I use metamucil and podiem everyday and are very effective at releiving constipation. If you do buy podiem make sure it is podiem regular and not podiem with senna. Im not a dr. just a ibs sufferer with constipation.
Can you feel the bubbles?

#3 jo-jo

jo-jo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 11:42 PM

metamucil or other natural bulk forming fiber is safe for daily use but x-lax, senna, ect.is not because your intestine become lazy over time and the intestine cannot function without it making constipation worse. I use metamucil and podiem everyday and are very effective at releiving constipation. If you do buy podiem make sure it is podiem regular and not podiem with senna. Im not a dr. just a ibs sufferer with constipation.
Can you feel the bubbles?

#4 Guest_jpc2u2_*

Guest_jpc2u2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2001 - 01:02 AM

My gastro doctor put me on a regimen consisting of Metamucil, stool softener, and Milk of Mag. I have discontinued the MOM, but continue with the stool softener. If I miss the Metamucil, the stool softener seems to be enough. Otherwise, if I take nothing, I'm constipated. I'm not a doctor, but I was just following my doctor's instruction.

#5 Guest_jpc2u2_*

Guest_jpc2u2_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2001 - 01:02 AM

My gastro doctor put me on a regimen consisting of Metamucil, stool softener, and Milk of Mag. I have discontinued the MOM, but continue with the stool softener. If I miss the Metamucil, the stool softener seems to be enough. Otherwise, if I take nothing, I'm constipated. I'm not a doctor, but I was just following my doctor's instruction.

#6 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,400 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 10:53 AM

As long as it's a simple stool softener (alot are combined with a laxative) it seems that most of the doctors feel OK having the patient taking them long-term.The stimulatory laxatives can be counter-productive if you take them long term as the muscles of the colon become dependant on them.Stool softeners usually just help keep water in the stool, which is a less risky way. The lowest risk is up fiber and water consumption, but for some people that may not be enough.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,400 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 10:53 AM

As long as it's a simple stool softener (alot are combined with a laxative) it seems that most of the doctors feel OK having the patient taking them long-term.The stimulatory laxatives can be counter-productive if you take them long term as the muscles of the colon become dependant on them.Stool softeners usually just help keep water in the stool, which is a less risky way. The lowest risk is up fiber and water consumption, but for some people that may not be enough.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html
Ph.D in Biology

#8 stierney2

stierney2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 05:51 PM

I just bought a generic product called Docusate Calcium. 250mg. Is this strickly a stool softener and safe to take daily for constipation?

#9 stierney2

stierney2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 05:51 PM

I just bought a generic product called Docusate Calcium. 250mg. Is this strickly a stool softener and safe to take daily for constipation?

#10 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,400 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 05:58 PM

I've not seen any hard data to indicate there is a problem with it. I dug around quite a bit after seeing some things on the web making them sound as bad as the stimulatory laxatives, but couldn't find any indication that stool softeners were dangerous in the same way.However, do let your doctor know about it, so if it's not a good idea for you they can get you on something else.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#11 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,400 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 05:58 PM

I've not seen any hard data to indicate there is a problem with it. I dug around quite a bit after seeing some things on the web making them sound as bad as the stimulatory laxatives, but couldn't find any indication that stool softeners were dangerous in the same way.However, do let your doctor know about it, so if it's not a good idea for you they can get you on something else.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#12 CaseyL

CaseyL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 06:56 PM

I just went to the Ob/Gyn today. Since I am trying to get pregnant he gave me samples and a prescription for prenatal vitamins. They contain docusate sodium, a stool softener. The vitamins are to be taken every day, so I guess it is okay to take a stool softener daily. My problem is I'm afraid to take them because I have a tendency to be on the loose side or D. I got some prenatal vitamins from CVS which don't have the stool softener. I didn't think to ask the dr what the difference is and if I could take over-the-counter vitamins instead of the prescription ones. I think I will take them at least until I get preg.(fingers crossed)

#13 CaseyL

CaseyL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 06:56 PM

I just went to the Ob/Gyn today. Since I am trying to get pregnant he gave me samples and a prescription for prenatal vitamins. They contain docusate sodium, a stool softener. The vitamins are to be taken every day, so I guess it is okay to take a stool softener daily. My problem is I'm afraid to take them because I have a tendency to be on the loose side or D. I got some prenatal vitamins from CVS which don't have the stool softener. I didn't think to ask the dr what the difference is and if I could take over-the-counter vitamins instead of the prescription ones. I think I will take them at least until I get preg.(fingers crossed)

#14 Ty

Ty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 12:35 PM

I take magnesium supplements and those work very well to soften the stool and they're not a laxative.Ty
Ty
*Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.*
-Robert A. Heinlein

#15 Ty

Ty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 12:35 PM

I take magnesium supplements and those work very well to soften the stool and they're not a laxative.Ty
Ty
*Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.*
-Robert A. Heinlein

#16 rachelclare

rachelclare

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 12:50 PM

see my comments re prune juice.just to reiterate my daughter as a toddler was prescribed Lactulose as a stool softener (UK Name don't know what the US equivalent would be but it is basically a sugar and water solution that is not absorbed by the body)she was on a very large dose for a long time and friends (medical and not) were horrified. However the Doctors constantly reassured me that it was safe and she would not become dependant on it - remember though this was simply a stool softener, I am not sure the same applies to stimulants like Senna. She was able to come off it and we have no problems now. The only thing is because of her age and the volume she was taking I gave it to her in her bottles, she does not have good teeth - maybe this was a problem caused by lactulose. If it was it is certainly the only one we are aware of. Hope this helps.

#17 rachelclare

rachelclare

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 September 2001 - 12:50 PM

see my comments re prune juice.just to reiterate my daughter as a toddler was prescribed Lactulose as a stool softener (UK Name don't know what the US equivalent would be but it is basically a sugar and water solution that is not absorbed by the body)she was on a very large dose for a long time and friends (medical and not) were horrified. However the Doctors constantly reassured me that it was safe and she would not become dependant on it - remember though this was simply a stool softener, I am not sure the same applies to stimulants like Senna. She was able to come off it and we have no problems now. The only thing is because of her age and the volume she was taking I gave it to her in her bottles, she does not have good teeth - maybe this was a problem caused by lactulose. If it was it is certainly the only one we are aware of. Hope this helps.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here