45 replies to this topic

#1 JanelleL78

JanelleL78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2003 - 11:51 PM

Advertisement
I am so glad to finally find a place I can ask questions!I am in the middle of a diagnosis - already had the colonoscopy and the CT scan, so the dr's say there is not much they can do.I just wanted to know if anyone feels like I do almost every night - I feel like I have to pass gas, but cannot. I have intense abdominal pressure and an intense pressure on my rectum like I have to fart so bad, but can't. I can strain all day and I can't pass it. I am sure this pressure in my stomache is gas because, the few times I can fart, it relieves the pressure.I know this is a gross topic, but I need help with this desperately. Gas-X doesn't help - it feels like I could just explode. Please let me know if someone else has this and what they do about it. Thank you for your help.

Advertisement

#2 rain

rain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:27 AM

Hi Janelle,I can relate 100%.What I have done is cut down significantly my carbohydrate and sugar foods and increased my water intake.So far it is helping me.I wrote a long reply to Ibsed on the Food/Nutrition/Diet board...check it out rain Posted Image

#3 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:33 AM

That sounds painful.Tried mint or ginger in tea, or in some form?I don't have your problem I have leaky gas all the time.

#4 Bohemian75

Bohemian75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 12:54 AM

I can totally relate to your problem. It is so frustrating and painful to have the trapped air and stuggle to pass it and have no luck. Sometimes I get so frustrated I want to break out into tears and end up just going to bed because I can't take the discomfort anymore!There are some things that have helped me in the past, avoding all carbonated beverages, reducing carbs, drinking lots of water, taking Iberogast (a dietary supplement recommended by Dr. Murray and available on iherb.com), and doing yoga. I also have been to the GI doctor and she seemed to suggest that I was making up the issue but even so it did not seem like there was much she could do for me. My general practitioner suggested I take in more fiber! I already was taking in plenty of fiber which just seemed to make the problem worse. I struggle everyday trying to decide what I should eat that will cause the least gas and pain. Sometimes I just end up not eating at all because the pain is so bad, my appetite just disappears. In any case, just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Has anyone had any success with flax seed powder or peppermint tablets?

#5 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 03:50 AM

quote:
I feel like I have to pass gas, but cannot
If you do not pass gas, then you do not have gas.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#6 West

West

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 04:18 AM

I use to be so bloated and full of pressure. It turned out to be a compacted colon. I started on a real strict healthy diet and took this stuff called Experience and i lost 40+ pounds and all that gas/pressure is gone 90% of the time. Sometimes i drink ginger or peppermint tea and that helps.Experience helps the body to cleanse and regulate itself to help with the digestive process. A healthy colon is the key to better metabolism, nutrient absorption, regularity, and is essential to successful weight management. This 100-year-old Mediterranean recipe is a 100% natural vegetarian blend that is safe, non-habit-forming, and delivers clinically proven results.

#7 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 01:54 PM

Yes, I believe in flaxseed. Daily (when I can remember), I will have a little ground flax on my cereal. I will sometimes also have a flax oil capsule. Other omega-3 essential fatty acid (EFA), which could help you, can be found in abundance in salmon and walnuts.The ground seed is a good source of fiber, in addition to having good EFA. Be sure to refrigerate or freeze it so it will keep well. To do any good, the seed must be ground; forget baked goods with whole flaxseed in them (besides, flax shouldn't be subjected to high temps).Getting a little natural fiber (not too much, esp. not at first) in your system - through fresh veggies and a source like flax - could eventually help you some. Also, the addition of EFAs (also try regular use of olive oil) can help you. And, are you getting enough calcium and magnesium?Even with a good diet, I'm hardly doing perfectly (I have a bad stomach and other stuff besides IBS), but I have found that the good diet certainly helps! Also, some people find that antispasmodics help them (have helped me too, except that recently they gave me explosive D and acute rectal pressure/pain). Sorry, if this is more than you wanted to hear or if I'm duplicating someone else's response.
"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

#8 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:03 PM

flux, that's not an entirely logical statement. sometimes one does not pass gas (on a normal, regular basis) because one cannot.

#9 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 02:19 PM

quote:
lux, that's not an entirely logical statement. sometimes one does not pass gas (on a normal, regular basis) because one cannot
No, it's just a bit truncated, the full statement is If you do not pass gas eventually, then you do not have gas.Of couse, not all gas that is created or input is immediately evacuated. But the complaints are almost always posed in the manner above, which clearly implies the gas never evacuated. For that to be true, there could not have been any gas to start with.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#10 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 05:30 PM

That's better (though I still would have phrased the sentence slightly differently myself)! Now, you know that people get mad when you post your truncated version - which is naturally subject to misinterpretation - so you should instead post a slightly longer explanation. Posted Image Right?! Also, I don't necessarily read the same thing you do into the people's statements who complain of trapped gas, which I believe I also have been experiencing in a major way in recent times. However, I understand what you are saying. And sometimes we don't even know we are finally getting rid of the gas or some of it (so it sometimes seems like we never do) - like, when we are sleeping or not really thinking about it.

#11 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 10:28 PM

I have suffered terribly with trapped gas. It is real and it can be serious (ignore Flux). Mine was verified using xrays by a board certified GI at a prominent medical school here in Dallas. The gas gets trapped due to intestinal spasms.What works for me better than anything else is to take prescription anti-cholinergic drugs (also known as anti-spasmodics). I have taken Bentyl and Librax and both work wonders. Within an hour of taking a pill, the spasms relax -- allowing the gas to pass. Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

My blog: http://pesharachel.blogspot.com/

#12 cindy from texas

cindy from texas

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 12:19 AM

Your symptoms fit me to a T. Some days/months are worse than others, but here are 10 tips that may help when you're in distress: 1) Avoid gas producing foods in general. This may include an exclusion diet to find out which foods trigger gas and which don't. When you are in distress, stick with foods that don't cause problems for starters. Sometimes it may take 3 days or so on your "safe" foods before your sensation of gas pressure subsides. I also find that when I'm in distress, eating soft, non fibrous foods help me. When things are very bad, I may baby my poor colon with juiced or pureed foods, or even buy baby foods. (My rule of thumb is if I wouldn't feed it to a colicky baby, than I don't feed it to me). 2) Exercise regularly. Include some light, relaxing aerobic activity such as walking or cycling--don't be competitive--be kind to yourself, but try to get some movement in. Try some sit ups. Also try movement that lifts the rib cage; e.g. lifting one arm towards the ceiling, and elongating/stretching the torso from hip to shoulder.3) Relax. Learn some relaxation techniques where you can totally allow your muscles to relax; e.g. meditation, hypnosis (such as the IBS Audio Tapes), resting in bed and allowing your muscles to relax. Consider reducing your schedule. When your intestines are in spasm, your natural reaction will be to tense up, so you'll need to consciously practice relaxing the muscles around the spasm. 4) Heat: Apply a heating pad, or hot water bottle. Or, take a hot bath with the water filled at least to your navel. 5) Medications: Both antispasmodics and SSRIs can be helpful. Or, if you are C predominent, you may be able to use Zelnorm. If you are d-predominent, you may be able to take Lotronex. 6) Be kind to yourself often. Realize the courage it takes to live with your IBS and don't be discouraged when you can't do things as well as you might like or used to. Use a lot of positive self-talk. Don't be hard on yourself. 7) Use herbs that reduce gas, such as ginger, fennel, and peppermint. 8) Massage your tummy with warm oil in a circular pattern, starting at the lower right quadrant and working in a clockwise motion up to the upper right and working down the left side of the abdomen from top to bottom. 9) I have personally benefitted from acupuncture. Many member have benefitted from this, while many have not. But, it has helped me. 10) I have personally benefited from activated charcoal capsules (taken after a meal), enteric coated peppermint oil capsules (taken before a meal), and a homeopathic remedy called Carbo-Vegetablis. There are some members who think these things do not work or only have a placebo effect. I'm not a scientist, so I can only tell you that they have helped me personally--I speak for no one else. But, you may want to try some--none of these are very expensive, so it may be worth a shot. These products are widely available at well stocked health food stores such as Whole Food Markets. I hope I haven't insulted you with info that you are already aware of, but I have suffered on and off with the exact kind of distress you speak of for 7 years. I can't say I have a perfect handle on it, but the aforementioned 10 tips do offer some comfort and a sense there are some things I can do about this distressing symptom. Best of luck and peace be with you. I wish you well, dear. --Cindy

#13 ghitta

ghitta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 10:46 AM

hear hear! for Cindy from texas. that's it exactly and her suggestions are exactly the ones i would have posted. very good and i recommend them to anybody. thanks cindy. g-

#14 jo-jo

jo-jo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 12:05 PM

Cindy has given you great advice, i couldn't have said it better. I have your exact problem. I avoid all gassy foods, carbonated beverages ect. I can't add anything else because Cindy has covered everything! Hope those suggestions help you and good luck. IBS is not a fun thing to have.P.S. Just wanted to add that eggs are especially bad for me. I don't know if they are for you but my symptoms have greatly reduced the instant i stopped eating eggs completely. Had to go to the emergency room a few times from eating eggs and noone could figure out what what causing all that tummy pain, hubby figured it out and i'm so much better now, not 100% but much better.
Can you feel the bubbles?

#15 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 12:33 PM

Did your doctor diagnose you with a lost fart, Janelle? :( Just repeating a joke I heard in the MP. Sorry didn't mean to make light of your problemsIn IBS abnormal pooling of gas takes place and like Stace said antispasmodics might help. Or peppermint oil capsules.
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

#16 bellyknot

bellyknot

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 12:32 AM

I also suffer from the inability to fart. What works for me? BEANS! Really, I'm not kidding. They make the gas run through. Zelnorm helps a little too, and Flux...oops you're wrong this time. Part of my diagnosis for pancreatitis was "Inablility to pass gas."

#17 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 01:22 AM

quote:
Flux...oops you're wrong this time. Part of my diagnosis for pancreatitis was "Inablility to pass gas.
No, it's

#18 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 04:00 PM

quote:
I also suffer from the inability to fart. What works for me? BEANS!
Yes, beans work great for me as well. Another food that really works on trapped gas is popcorn.
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

My blog: http://pesharachel.blogspot.com/

#19 cindy from texas

cindy from texas

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 04:49 PM

It's interesting how different we each might react to foods. While one member reacts wonderfully to beans, and another to popcorn, these are both triggers for me. I guess that's why it's important that we each do our own elimination diet to find what does and doesn't cause problems. Our own bodies are probably best teachers when it comes to discovering our own personal trigger foods.

#20 AD

AD

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 05:35 PM

I consider "trapped gas" almost the same thing as constipation with gases instead of solids and liquids. I suppose it makes sense that certain gas-producing foods would cause one to expel gas in the same way that fiber would cause one to expel stool. It forms the bulk that helps some (but by no means all) people to get things to come out.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here