3 replies to this topic

#1 Chantal

Chantal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

Advertisement
Hi all,I have been taking 2 tablespoons of Milk of magnesia every night for about a week. it has been helping a lot, and I really don't want to stop taking it...the problem is that I am scared to stop, AND scared to stay on it because it is a laxative. I know that some people take one tablespoon daily, but 2 tablespoons is what I need to get things moving and that's quite a lot to take daily.Any thoughts? My gastroentorologist recommended the Milk of magnesia but did not tell me how long or how much to take...so it's been trial and error, and he's impossible to get a hold of!Thanks for reading.I look forward to your feedback.Chantal

Advertisement

#2 Dana_S

Dana_S

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:09 AM

My gastro is a big fan of MoM and recommends it for daily long term use if needed. He recommended using the caplets rather than the liquid & I suspect that this is b/c it's easy to take too much in a liquid dose if you're not careful. It's suggested to take it in 2 equal doses (1 tbsp in the AM and 1 in the PM) but if you're not feeling nauseas or dehydrated from taking 2 doses at one time, I guess it's fine. This is essentially the same as a magnesium supplement and is one of the safest long-term meds for constipation.However, if MoM is working for you, a little Zelnorm may help you too. Or, it can help reduce how much MoM you need to take every day. Just a thought.Dana

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,803 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

As long as you keep your total dose of magnesium in the guidelines and don't have any kidney problems that would make you need to limit magnesium it is pretty safe for regular use.I would try to find the lowest dose that works most of the time.Osmotic laxatives are generally the safest bet for every day use, if you have any reason you can't take that much magnesium daily there are prescriptions like miralax which acts the same way but doesn't have magnesium in it.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 lorilou

lorilou

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

I take 4 tbs a day and dr said you dont absorb the maganesium that it passes right out of you- her only cncern is my sodium levels which she checks . I take miralx too- I only go complete if its water- feeling better than I have my whole life. thank God for MOM

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here