Advertisement

Photo

Does anybody knows if soy milk and foods causes gas??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 anyita

anyita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 02:41 PM

Advertisement
Hi! it's Anyita.I need some help.I can`t drink milk or food that contains lactose because it fills me with gas.By the other hand calcium tablets make me constipated.So what I want to know is if soy bean milk and its derivates causes gas too???Please help me because my bones are hurting really bad and I think i am getting osteoporosis.Thank you very much, Anyita.I am 44 years old and already in menopause

Advertisement

#2 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 03:03 PM

How do you know you have gas? How much milk are you consuming at once?You should probably have your concern about osteoporosis evaluated by a doctor. Simply taking calcium tablets won't stop it!
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#3 lily2000

lily2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:40 PM

I experience excess gas if I eat several soy products in a single day. For instance if I eat a soy-based veggie burger and later a couple pieces of soy cheese or if I gulp down half a pint of tofutti (fake ice cream), then I will have a problem with gassiness. Personally, I try to limit my intake of soy products.I am also lactose intolerant, and I don't drink soy milk for the above reasons, but instead I drink vitamin fortified rice milk. My favorite brand is Rice Dream. You have to pay attention to the labels on rice milk because some varieties are fortified with calcium and vitamins but some vareites are not fortifed.I really don't know what I'd do without rice milk. I drink it everyday. Posted Image

#4 cindy from texas

cindy from texas

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:26 PM

I think everyone's different. Give soy a try on a good day and make sure that everything else you eat isn't problematic for you. Soy works well for me. There is also a liquid calcium supplements that is more easily absorbed and may not cause the problems you have with tablets. I get mine from a health food store. Good luck.

#5 lilysord

lilysord

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 01:19 AM

I tried soy milk products and they seem to give me the same problems as dairy. But rice milk doesn't give me any trouble at all. I am 47 and have had to avoid dairy for over 30 years. I also couldn't take calcium because it constipated me and gave me headaches. I have muscle aches and pains and was feeling fragile because of no calcium intake. I ate tons of broccoli but it wasn't enough to give my body what it needed for calcium. Then my husband talked me into trying coral calcium. I hate trying vitamins because almost all of them make me sick in some way and irritate my UC or give me headaches. But i tried it. NO HEADACHE AND NO TUMMY TROUBLE! I have been taking it for almost 4 months and i can't tell you how much better i feel! My muscles don't ache, my back doesn't hurt, my restless leg syndrom is gone. The bleeding in my rectum is gone almost completely! My finger nails are strong again, they were so thin they hurt for a long time. Now, there are lots of kinds of coral calcium on the market. The real cheap kinds have lead and arsnic in them. The kind i found is reasonalby priced from an internet health food store, forgot the name, but it's half price. I was paying 27.00 a bottle from our local health food store. I'ts only 16.00 from this place. Anyway, the kind I am taking is called Trace minerals Research. Box 429, Roy, Utah. 84067. Phone is 801-731-6051. They will probably tell you to call a store, but anyway, It's called Coral Calcium from Okinawa Japan. 1145 mg with vitamin D and pure trace minerals. 60 in a bottle. Try it, I feel so much better! Now if only they could find a cure for my UC, i would be great!! Posted Image

#6 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:45 PM

quote:
How do you know you have gas?
flux, in my case, the nose knows. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Sleepy28

Sleepy28

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 02:20 AM

I agree with Cindy, everyone is different. Me personally... I'm lactose intolerant but can drink soy milk. I was so sad that I couldn't order my vanilla lattes anymore but then I discovered soy! If I drink TOO much soy though I get constipated so maybe only 2-3 times a week do I get a latte.

#8 lors5

lors5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 12:17 PM

Check out calcium fortified rice milk, I can't remember the name but out local grocery store has it. I like the taste of vanilla Rice Dream, but mine is not calcium fortified so I take suppl., too much soy milk makes me bloated too but not as bad as skim milk, so luckily I can tolerate one cup a day. Lorrie

#9 lnw

lnw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 12:06 AM

Hi,It seems that I agree with many that have replied, I cannot tolerate any dairy products and so I switched to soy products, (soy drink, tofu and tofu desserts).Then I found that I started to have problems with soy also and that was because of the amounts. I can handle about a half a cup of soy milk a day but try to spread out my soy products to alterate days. Rice milk is good - Rice dream vanilla flavour is delicious and tolerable. So I alternate between rice milk and soy milk.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here