1 reply to this topic

#1 VThomas

VThomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:47 AM

Advertisement
Hi All,I get diarrhea when i skip a meal.For e.g saturdays being holiday for me, i wake up quite late 10:00 AM and sometimes dont have anything to eat till 2-3 pm(usually a burger) in the afternoon. The next day i notice some diarrhea during D.If i also have a carbonated drink, then the diarrhea is more pronounced.So my question is, how does skipping a scheduled meal for a day result in diarrhea.Thanks

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,802 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:13 AM

I don't think it would be a universal cause; however, if it is consistant for you it might be something to it.There are a couple of things that might be going on although you are more the next day.Large meals after a period of starvation does seem to cause a larger gastrocolic reflex so it might make you more prone to diarrhea in the hour or two after breaking the fast. You do not have that, but it may be getting you off-schedule enough to set you up for problems later. Physical stressors can sometimes set off the IBS, so it might be stressing the system just enough with the irregular meals to cause a problem. Quite a few people find small frequent meals (so 1/2 the amount of a normal meal 5-6 times a day) is easier on the system than skipping meals then making up for it by eating more at the next meal.Some people find carbonation a problem, but it may be the high fructose corn syrup more than the carbonation as most soft drinks have that.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here