Advertisement

Photo

can gas make me feel like I'm having a heart attack!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:56 AM

Advertisement
I have been sick for about 5 days now. Over the weekend naseau, dry heaves. I have IBS-C and have stomach problems all the time. This illness has wiped me out. Last night I woke up with the worst heartburn. Took 2 tums and those helped but made my chest cold. Honestly thought I was having a heart attack. Even woke up the hubby. I Did end up getting to sleep and felt better this a.m. I am back at work. But I am experiencing light headedness and a coldness in my Gi track and chest. odd thing is when I pass gas or burp, it gets a little better. So I'm wondering if it just has to w/the gas. OVerall I feel like #### but got tired of looking at the 4 walls at home. So headed back to work. Partly a mistake and partly good. At moments I think "what the heck am I doing here." Posted Image But can't stay home forever. Comments?

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,803 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

Upper GI tract (stomach or esophagus) issues can feel like they are in the chest and can cause symptoms that are mistaken for heart problems.Although you don't want to just assume.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:27 AM

I agree on the assuming thing. It's really weird. I'm lightheaded and have this word cold twinge thing behind my left breast. Not really "pain" just twinges. Same thing in the middle of the night. I took a lorazapam and went to sleep. Felt good this morning when I woke up. Now it's back again. I hate to go through whole ordeal of hosp. to find out it's gas you know?

#4 ColonCombat

ColonCombat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

I can have some pretty severe twinging in the chest area sometimes, at first I thought I was having a heart attack or something, but when I burp it's like it just goes away. Gas pressure of some kind, undoubtedly. Not the exact same as yours, but sort of similar. Posted Image

#5 mindy1597

mindy1597

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

Have you tried prilosec otc or I am currently on prevacid which is a presciption? I have been on the prevacid for 2 weeks now and I have felt great. I pass A LOT of gas during the day but no more pain and absolutely no bloat.
I wonder what it is like to be comfortable in your own body.

IBS 20+ years, hysterectomy & appendectomy.

#6 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

I take zantac 2x a day. The dr. did have me do a 14 day thing of prilosec on top of that. That seems to have helped alot. We'll see what happens when I finish the 2 weeks. Is the prevacid something you'll take forever?

#7 mindy1597

mindy1597

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

I have been taking the prevacid for 2 weeks now and my doctor just gave me 2 more weeks of samples. I'll have to ask him if it is something you can take forever - because if it is the reason I feel so good I don't want to stop. I've been telling people that I feel so good I'm like the energizer bunny on drugs!
I wonder what it is like to be comfortable in your own body.

IBS 20+ years, hysterectomy & appendectomy.

#8 descartesmom

descartesmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

I went outside this morning and I got the twinging and it has stayed with me off and on today.First time it was on my front right and now it's next to my left breast. It doesn't hurt just twinging.I think it was the cold that started it.I know that I'm having an ibs bout right now so I'm putting it down to that plus I'm windy. Posted ImageI was fine going to the shops this morning, no dizziness nor the feeling I was going to pass out. I made sure I ate something and I took 3 Immodium before I left the house. I also had my my paper knockers on too, which thankfully I didn't use.
Dx with ibs in 1969

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here