36 replies to this topic

#1 whooooooops

whooooooops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:53 PM

Advertisement
Which one is working better for y'all?I bought both not too long ago...Gas-X and Ovol = Simethicone and Charcoal...I'm still trying and using both...

Advertisement

#2 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:02 PM

De-gas (the aussie version of gas-x) did absolutely nothing for me. I bought the extra strength one and I continued to rumble and gurgle away. The charcoal however stops all those rumblings and gurglings within 20 minutes. I LOVE the stuff. But I know that charcoal doesn't work for everyone so opinions will vary a lot. What's your vote?
"Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends."
--George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Peaceful Prairie
Please feed an animal, click here
Go Veg!
My Blog
Amy-IBS-A-Sigh, oh well, they say variety is the spice of life :P

#3 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:18 PM

Neither one of these have much impact on gas.
quote:
and I continued to rumble and gurgle away. The charcoal however stops all those rumblings and gurglings within 20 minutes. I LOVE the stuff.
Placebo?
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#4 whooooooops

whooooooops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

I dunno which ones I prefer...I'm still testing them...I'm taking them in a very disorganized pattern TAKING THEM WHEN I FEEL IT'S RIGHT...Sometimes taking both in the same day...I WAS OUT FOR MOST OF THE DAY... ATE TWICE IN FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS... TAKING MY GAS-X TABLETS AFTER EACH MEALS I DIDN'T FEEL ANYTHING THROUGHOUT THE DAY...WHICH HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORESOLVED MY BLOATING AND GAS PROBLEMS...THO I SOMETIMES GET THE UNCOMFORTABLE SYMPTOMES AT NIGHT WHEN I'M ON THE COMPUTER...PROBABLY LESS BOTHEROSOME THAN IT ONCE WAS...THESE PILLS ARE MY ONLY HOPE OF MAKING IT THROUGH A 4 HOUR CLASS

#5 whooooooops

whooooooops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:08 AM

FLUX WEIRD U THINK THEY HAVE NO IMPACT...WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST THEN FOR GAS...

#6 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:46 AM

Flux, no offence at all, I respect and like you a lot but I get the impression you are NOT into natural medicines at all?For me, I have tried every over the counter product there is, not to mention hundreds of prescriptions from my doctor and none of that ever helped. Why is charcoal given in hospitals to od patients to absorb the chemicals and their reactions if it is merely a placebo?It works for me, I love it and will stick to it. If it is a placebo, oh well, mind over matter and the money I spend on it is worth it to me.
Peaceful Prairie
Go Veg!
My Blog

#7 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:36 AM

Just because charcoal (or anything) has a particular legitamate medical use does not automatically mean that everything a health food store sells something for is a real thing that it does. I believe the problem is that when charcoal is dry it absorbs gas OK, but when it is wet it pretty much can't absorb gases any more but can interact with liquids/things suspsended in the liquid phase when wet.It will absorb nutrients and drugs in the liquid phase so over use of charcoal may cause problems.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#8 bigmama

bigmama

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:56 PM

Posted ImageJust wanted to say I tried charcoal today took one dose and had to chew it as it was huge and I could not swallow it it did make me burb alot so am going to keep trying once a day, so far my stomcahe has not disappeard like it did for some, but am not as bloated so keeping my fingers crossed it just might work as i have tried everything under the sun to get rid of my 9 month pregnant bloated huge stomach,and I repeat Iam not pregnant just hugely bloated.....

#9 whooooooops

whooooooops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

It really seems as if Charcoal is causing constipation...Or I just normalized myself with it and stopped going regurlarly to the bathroom...

#10 eaf

eaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

Hi. I have pain, gas, and bloating. It took me numerous sonograms, an upper GI, and many trips to the Dr. to FINALLY figure out that its GAS thats the culprit! I get gas CONSTANTLY. I am thinking of trying GAS-X, but this charcol stuff seems positive. I have IBS-D so I wouldn't have any constipation issues. Does anyone have any other opinions on charcol. My mom says it may cause cancer, but doesn't everything?!?

#11 whooooooops

whooooooops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

It absorbs nutrients and now it may cause cancer...why isn't all these things mentioned on its box or something...Now I'm gonna get an anxiety attack...Anyone, Screamer...Reassure me that I'm gonna be alright now if I stop using all these meds...or if I continue for a few more days...

#12 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:27 PM

Okay I found a link all about charcoal, how to take it etc etc what to do and not to do. You can find that here: http://www.cancer.sutterhealth.org/health/...=multumd01028a1 I also googled charcocaps and cancer and came up with absolutely zilch. I have not heard of it causing cancer but if anyone has any research that says otherwise I'd be interested to read it!Whooops, try not to panic! Maybe it's just a bit of a wives tale. I was put on charcoal when I was 7 for pains in the belly and back then I was a C and 10 years on I have no signs of cancer.
Peaceful Prairie
Go Veg!
My Blog

#13 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 12:02 AM

quote:
My mom says it may cause cancer, but doesn't everything?!?
What?
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#14 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:26 AM

Um maybe she is thinking of food you cook over charcoal or at high heat (doesn't have to be charcoal) where you can get heterocyclic amines and PAH's formed from the meat??But it isn't the charcoal (any grilling method will do this) itself that is the issue.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#15 bigmama

bigmama

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:30 PM

Posted ImageHelp, I just read on that link screamer that is said not to chew the tablets, well I have been since they are huge and I can't swallow them whole, so i have been breaking them up and chewing them now I'm scared that i have hurt myself. I also have not noticed any difference with my bloated stomach, but have noticed it is'nt as hard as before and I burp more and have less pain and gas,.so I don't want to stop them actually was thinking I needed to take more to help get rid of the bloating,any suggestions?

#16 smelly1

smelly1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

Bigmama, I can't swallow the pills either (trying) but I bought the powder charcoal and read on a web site that you can mix it with water and drink it thru a straw (doesn't get all over your teeth and lips that way) so it must be ok or why else would they sell the powder?? Make sure you brush your teeth and tongue as soon as you are done and no one is the wiser!

#17 eaf

eaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 07:18 PM

SO I bought GAS-X today (extra strength with Maalox)...Does anyone have any suggestions as to when I should take it? I was thinking once a day to 'regulate' the gas pains, but perhaps I should only take it on an as needed basis? Anyone?

#18 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 08:42 PM

Usually if it works for me it is taking it with each meal. It will only effect gas it is co-located with so taking once a day may not get it distributed as well as with each meal.K.
Ph.D in Biology

#19 whooooooops

whooooooops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:51 AM

I only take it a day before and the day I need it... I read somewhere on the these boards that it loses its efficieny with regular use...

#20 whooooooops

whooooooops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:06 AM

CAN I TAKE CHARCOAL AND GAS-X TOGETHER...CHARCOAL ONE DAY AND GAS-X THE OTHER...

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here