#1 ruby333

ruby333

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 November 2003 - 01:11 AM

Advertisement
Whenever there is any stool in my rectum, my bowels spasm violently and I feel the urge to go but I cannot push the stool out. I admit that because of this I've been manually removing stool from my rectum for years, which makes the spasms worse, but the stool doesn't seem to come out any other way. Even when I'm not constipated and my rectum is full of mushy or hard stool, it won't come out and sometimes I have to continually remove it throughout the day and by the end of it just lots of mucous comes out and I end up taking Immodium to try to get some relief. Does anyone have any suggestions for strengthening the muscles or being able to push stool out? I think my body is used to having me remove the feces and won't do it on its own now and I don't want to use enemas because I don't want to make the spasms worse and the Immodium just leaves me constipated for days. I'm worried that I'm weakening my muscles and I'll end up incontinent or something, but my rectal muscles, ironically, seem like they're too tight to allow anything to get out. I just had a colonoscopy and GI tests a few weeks ago and their only suggestion was eat more fibre. Well, I haven't really been eating anything for 2 months and have lost a ton of weight, so I'm trying to retrain my body to accept food and to remove it properly. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

#2 Stedwell

Stedwell

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 09:10 AM

No answers for you Ruby but I have the same problems. Any ideas anyone?

#3 em.

em.

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 11:46 AM

I am having the same probs at the moment. I am talking Milk of Magnesium to try and soften adn help with it as it is a mild laxative.Hope it eases for youEmx

#4 Gret

Gret

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:24 PM

Ruby,Why do you take Immodium? Wouldn't that clog you up further? This is a tough one, but it sounds like you need to get your diet balanced and get some fiber involved. You sound miserable, like all of us here have been at some point! Good luck!

#5 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:46 PM

Has a doctor ever said anything about:"Outlet obstruction type constipation (pelvic floor dyssynergia)The external anal sphincter, which is part of the pelvic floor normally stays tightly closed to prevent leakage. When you try to have a bowel movement, however, this sphincter has to open to allow the fecal material to come out. Some people have trouble relaxing the sphincter muscle when they are straining to have a bowel movement, or they may actually squeeze the sphincter more tightly shut when straining. This produces symptoms of constipation. http://www.iffgd.org/GIDisorders/GIAdults.html "Bowel PatternOne issue that remains controversial in IBS is subdivision into bowel pattern subgroups. In particular, what defines an alternating bowel pattern is unclear from the literature. Indeed, there is no definitive guidance from the Rome committees regarding this issue. Simply defining patients not fitting into an arbitrary diarrhea or constipation subgroup as an alternator may be overly simplistic and even misleading.In a study by Locke and coworkers,[5] the investigators aimed to determine what individuals meant when they said that they had an alternating bowel pattern, as based on a large community survey. A valid questionnaire was mailed to 4029 randomly selected individuals in Olmsted County, of whom 3022 eligible subjects provided data. Overall, 7.6% of the population had a self-reported alternating bowel pattern, compared with 9.2% who stated that their usual bowel pattern was constipation and 2.5% who said that their usual bowel pattern was diarrhea. It was interesting to note that the feeling of incomplete rectal evacuation and passage of mucus were significant predictors of reporting an alternating bowel pattern in this general population. Of those individuals who reported an alternating bowel pattern, 59% met symptom criteria for constipation based on standard and accepted groupings of individual symptoms, whereas 35% met symptom criteria for diarrhea and 20% met criteria for both 25% met criteria for neither.These findings suggest that "alternators" may not comprise a distinct subgroup from constipation and diarrhea in this population. Further work is needed to define an appropriate, clinically relevant subclassification of IBS based on colonic symptoms. The latter could be very useful in terms of making management strategies more logical and evidence-based." http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/463420...02/7002/7001/-1
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#6 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 23 November 2003 - 04:52 PM

PSI know this is a commercial site, but this lady talked at one of our local IBS support groups and although not totally IBS infomration, it is worth reading for the info. http://www.fruit-eze.com/education/colon/retraining.html
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#7 sillyface

sillyface

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 08:32 AM

ok, i don't know if this is right or not, it's just a suggestion. In nursing school we learned certain steps to bowel care. manual extraction is what you do when nothing else works. So if you used a laxative, you would be going a steo down from manual extraction. When someone is contipated the first step is to increase fiber and give stool softeners, then if they still can't go (usually after about 3days), give them a glycerine suppository. You could also you a dulcolax suppository, it draws more water into the area, but is also more irritating. then we graduate up to a fleet, which just adds a lot of bulk to the area which hopefully will bring stoll out with it. if that doesn't work, there are two steps. If the person is impacted, as in there is a blockage of stoll, either there are only smal amounts of stoll getting around it, or no stool at all is coming out, then manual extraction is used. if there is no blockage, then we would use an oral fleet. now i wouldn't recommend the oral fleet really. it irritates the bowel a lot, so it can make you feel a lot worse. the point of all this info is to let you know that if you decided to use a regualr fleet for a while, and then backed down to a glycerine suppository, maybe your rectum would get used to pushing stuff out on it's own again. it's just a thought. and fleets are just saline, and glycerine suppositories are just lubrication, so it's not really like using a laxative.it's just a thought. i hope things get better for youkarenPosted Image

#8 missC

missC

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 04:02 PM

what is a fleet? i never heard of it till i found this site.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here