29 replies to this topic

#1 SteveinWI

SteveinWI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

Advertisement
I love oatmeal. I grew up on it. And according to Ms. Heather of www....com its the best thing for IBS sufferers. Every morning I will have a nice big bowel of oatmeal and a banana (because fo the high solube fiber)and soy milk (but havent' given soy up cause it gives me the big D). I discovered that oatmeal and bananas were giving me cramps and the big D in the morning. At first I thought it was the 2 hard-boiled eggs I would normally have and then 30 minutes later have the oatmeal. So for one week I had the eggs but not the oatmeal and banana and what a difference; no cramping, no D; its almost a miracle; I can now go to work in the morning and not worry about being on public transportation and worried I may get the big D. I have cut out alot of the high starch, high carb foods and have noticed a difference in my IBS.

Advertisement

#2 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:55 PM

There have been many other reports in the past of low-carb (Atkins/So Beach) type of diets giving this kind of success. Thanks for reminding of this, again. Hopefully it will inspire others to at least give it a shot.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#3 RachL

RachL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:27 AM

Well I have been avoiding oats, wheat, rye and barley (basically anything with gluten in) for a week and I have been TOTALLY symptom free for this whole week!!!So perhaps grains do cause the D to get worse!RachL x

#4 Prudy

Prudy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

I can't do oatmeal.. or cornmeal.. but I can eat Oat Bran.. go figure.. If I eat the others.. it is clean out time within a few hours.. So I just don't eat them.. I love my Italian and French breads.. but I don't eat the bottom crusts.. because of the cornmeal.. I either cut it off or scrape it off..that is how much I don't digest it.. Everyone is different.. If I didn't have rice or pasta.. or my French breads.. I would have nothing to eat.. those are the foods that save me... the binders so I can eat and not have it all just run through me..
Prudy..
A journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step.
I follow a trigger free diet, take calcium, a good organic cereal, and eat yogurt everyday day to control my symptoms. And a good dose of daily Prayer along with it...HOPE- Sees the invisible, Feels the intangible, Achieves the impossible.

#5 moni_tx

moni_tx

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:35 AM

Is soya milk bad for D? I'm lactose intolerant and have high cholesterol, so have started eating cornflakes with soya milk in a bid to eat more healthily, but the last thing I want is to aggraviate my IBS. I had a bad D day today, but I'm on my period, which in itself guarantees this, I'm running out of food options!
------------------------------------------
If at first you fail, skydiving isn't for you.

#6 slm

slm

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

I recently stopped eating gluten after the suggestion by a co-worker that I may be gluten intolerant. I have felt so much better since changing my eating habits. Now I only seem to have problems when I accidently have gluten or if I am very nervous. In fact, I've discontined my nightly dose of cholesteramine. This is the best I've felt in almost 40 years. Posted Image I don't seem to have trouble with cornmeal and I haven't gotten enough nerve up to try oatmeal. I have just discovered that my blood sugar is higher than it should be and my cholesterol is out of sight so my diet is pretty restricted right now. However, I am following the Weight Watcher's core plan and have lost 10 pound in 1 month.

#7 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

I certainly found soy helpful as a substitute for milk & cheese when my D was active. While I can tolerate milk products well, now, I still use soy milk for cholesterol reasons.For what it is worth, I began using the flavonoid supplement to stop my arterial blockages from increasing and found it also stopped my D. I have since added another supplement to treat my cholesterol absorption and my bloodwork has dropped from elevated to low-normal and stayed there for several years.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#8 SteveinWI

SteveinWI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback about grains. I see many people suffered the D as I do when I consume grains especially oatmeal or cornmeal. I started my little experiment about 3 weeks ago having hard-boiled eggs, and oatmeal with a banana and some soy milk in my cereal. Ten minutes later I was in the bathroom. So the next day I elminated the banana thinking it was that still running to the bathroom. So I just elimenated the oatmeal, banana and soy milk and replaced that with a very good local yogurt I buy in the Bay Area. Man what a difference, no running to the bathroom. I do love oatmeal (and other grains) I have cut them out and feel a lot better. (I did have a taste for gluten tolerance that my GI Doctor did and it was all negative.) Thanks people.

#9 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,904 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

Some people tolerate soy well, others do not. There are some non-digestible carbs in there and you may react to the gas from them just like you would gas from lactose, or resistant starch or any other potentially gas producing carb.Some people have to use rice milk rather than soy milk.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#10 SteveinWI

SteveinWI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

Its not the gas that cause me problems with I eat soy; its the cramping and the time spent sitting in the bathroom. I was told by my GI doctor that if you do have GI tract problems to stay away from soy products as they too can cause your IBS to flareup.

#11 Sukie

Sukie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

I can't tolerate oats in any form, which is a shame becasue I love flapjacks! I realised I was intolerant when I started eating hot oat cereal for breakfast and had cramps and D every time. All grains cause problems for me, though strangely, wheat is better. The worst time was when I tried to cut out wheat and ate rye, millet and gram-flour breads instead- they caused really bad cramping and gas. Most of the time, the only carbs I eat are 4 slices of wholemeal toast a day, 2 at breakfast, 2 at lunch, as I find I can't tolerate more.I avoid dairy and am wary of soya as it seems to worsen my symptoms. I use rice milk, coconut milk or cashew milk for cooking, and sunflower margarine. I occasionally eat soya yogurts.

#12 SteveinWI

SteveinWI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

I tried rice milk and they too gave me the D; but its funny I can have dairy and have no problem, go figure. I also found that staying away from white and brown rice/pastas (although being 50 percent Italian that is a bit difficult) and of course French Bread (which I would eat by the loaf) but these are empty carbs and empty calories)) has really made a difference also in my symptoms. After cutting out the high-starches, high carbs, my symptoms have besided alot. I do eat carbs like green veggies and apples, oranges, but do stay away from the bananas as they are high in sugar and high in starch. I do miss having that nice bowel of oatmeal in the morning but am learning to adjust.

#13 moni_tx

moni_tx

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

Oh man! I guess I'll go back on soya milk from Friday, as I'm not going anywhere this weekend, and see what happens. No way am I trying it during the week while I have class.

#14 Juris07

Juris07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:57 PM

I used to drink soy milk for an alternative for a cow's milk because I'm lactose intolerant but the results are still the same but less than worse than the cow's milk.

#15 Gret

Gret

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:46 AM

You could try rice milk. I hate it, but it's suppose to be easier to digest. My brother had to be on goat's milk as an infant because that is easier on human systems.I wish I hadn't read all the trouble with oatmeal! I've been having oatmeal with peaches and walnuts every morning and feel fine. I don't want to blame that for any problems! (I don't think it would be though.) Soy products do produce gas, which can cause cramping, etc. FOR SOME PEOPLE!

#16 moni_tx

moni_tx

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

Thanks, but no thanks...rice milk is gross. I really like my soya milk so, I'll experiment with it. I was brought up on soya milk as I was lactose intolerant from birth. I don't mind having gas...I don't need a toilet for that Posted ImageI'm sure my husband would disagree...

#17 SteveinWI

SteveinWI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:00 PM

If Oatmeal doesn't give you any trouble don't stop eating it. I love oatmeal (I do have it on weekends) that way if I have to run to the bathroom I don't have to worry about rushing off to work.

#18 Sharell

Sharell

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

I have Celiac Disease so any oat, wheat, barley or rye is out.
Sharell

#19 SteveinWI

SteveinWI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for your input. I tried giving up coffee (have only one cup a day now) I tried one of the coffee-substitutes made with grains (rye, etc.) oh man, the pain and I had D for hours.

#20 Twocups424

Twocups424

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:01 PM

anybody do goats milk or anything other like that????

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here