16 replies to this topic

#1 Tara2

Tara2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 03:46 PM

Advertisement
I'm confused about what type of fiber is better for constipation. I've been reading about the differences between soluble and insoluble fiber. I understand that soluble fiber absorbs waters and helps hold stool together and that insoluble fiber does not absorb in water and it helps push everything through. I have had constipation problems for years now and have used fiber off and on. I have had one GI put me on insoluble fiber (told me to put unprocessed wheat bran on top of my cereal in the morning), which did seem to somewhat help. And another GI tell me that insoluble fiber wouldn't help and instead to use soluble fiber (psyllium in particular), which didn't seem to help at all and in fact seemed to make things worse. I'm convinced that insoluble fiber seems to be better for me. And from doing a search on previous posts it seems that people on the board usually recommend soluble fiber for D-types and insoluble fiber for C-types (though I know some C types have had success with soluble fiber as well). What I don't understand is why all the soluble fiber supplements (e.g., Metamucil, Konsyl, Fibercon) are marketed towards constipation when it seems they work better for D and for C insoluble fiber is often best. Are there any insoluble fiber supplements on the market? And I wonder if different types of constipation require different types of fiber. For instance, if you have a transit problem maybe soluble fiber helps, but if you have an incomplete evacuation problem than insoluble fiber helps. Tara

Advertisement

#2 Ugh

Ugh

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 04:31 PM

Fibercon is a synthetic that acts like an insoluble fiber. At least as many people with IBS that are helped by taking fiber find things worse with extra fiber, so that's something to keep in mind.

#3 Ugh

Ugh

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Fibercon is a synthetic that acts like an insoluble fiber. At least as many people with IBS that are helped by taking fiber find things worse with extra fiber, so that's something to keep in mind.

#4 Guest_Chris2U_*

Guest_Chris2U_*
  • Guests

Dear Tara, I think as with everything when you have IBS, it is a "try it and see what happens" type of thing. I am IBS-C with diverticulsis, and I find that Metimucil is fine for me if I take half the dosage in each serving and take it maybe three times a week. Some things take time to work - ya know? Wheat grain seems to give me a hard time, but bran and oat bran is fine. Different strokes for different folks as they used to say back when my bowels were "normal." Good Luck and God Bless, Chris

#5 Guest_Chris2U_*

Guest_Chris2U_*
  • Guests

Dear Tara, I think as with everything when you have IBS, it is a "try it and see what happens" type of thing. I am IBS-C with diverticulsis, and I find that Metimucil is fine for me if I take half the dosage in each serving and take it maybe three times a week. Some things take time to work - ya know? Wheat grain seems to give me a hard time, but bran and oat bran is fine. Different strokes for different folks as they used to say back when my bowels were "normal." Good Luck and God Bless, Chris

#6 Ty

Ty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 05:58 PM

Ditto to what Chris said. Everyone is different. I can't take Metamucil or Citrucil. Fibercon worked very well for my C, those other two made it worse.Ty
Ty
*Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.*
-Robert A. Heinlein

#7 Ty

Ty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 05:58 PM

Ditto to what Chris said. Everyone is different. I can't take Metamucil or Citrucil. Fibercon worked very well for my C, those other two made it worse.Ty
Ty
*Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.*
-Robert A. Heinlein

#8 Julia37

Julia37

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for posting about the different types of fibers. I had been under the impression metamucil was good for C. It used to help me a few months ago, but since I changed my diet I've had trouble with C and metamucil was very slow to help. I'd have to take it twice a day for a few days to get results.Last week I bought Uncle Sam cereal and ate it with rice milk every morning, and I had to stop after a few days because I was getting D! So I say, try the high-fiber cereals - Uncle Sam is good because it has no sugar or preservatives, and it tastes good too. It has flax seed and whole wheat.

#9 Julia37

Julia37

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for posting about the different types of fibers. I had been under the impression metamucil was good for C. It used to help me a few months ago, but since I changed my diet I've had trouble with C and metamucil was very slow to help. I'd have to take it twice a day for a few days to get results.Last week I bought Uncle Sam cereal and ate it with rice milk every morning, and I had to stop after a few days because I was getting D! So I say, try the high-fiber cereals - Uncle Sam is good because it has no sugar or preservatives, and it tastes good too. It has flax seed and whole wheat.

#10 AD

AD

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 12:08 AM

A lot of times, it's hard to know what kind of fiber a food has. I know many foods usually have both, but I don't know for sure the proportions. It's just a matter of finding what specific foods you can and cannot tolerate. There is no insoluble fiber in a supplement form. I wish there was one too!

#11 AD

AD

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 12:08 AM

A lot of times, it's hard to know what kind of fiber a food has. I know many foods usually have both, but I don't know for sure the proportions. It's just a matter of finding what specific foods you can and cannot tolerate. There is no insoluble fiber in a supplement form. I wish there was one too!

#12 Jr & Minnie

Jr & Minnie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 12:17 AM

This works great for me & others I know who are IBS "C"! http://www.yerba.com/ccf.htm
Quote of the day and the day after that etc..

"Women are emotional time bombs waiting to explode and take everyone with them."

True faith is promoting God(Christ) from co-pilot to Pilot.
Baruch haba B'shem Adonai!

#13 Jr & Minnie

Jr & Minnie

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 12:17 AM

This works great for me & others I know who are IBS "C"! http://www.yerba.com/ccf.htm
Quote of the day and the day after that etc..

"Women are emotional time bombs waiting to explode and take everyone with them."

True faith is promoting God(Christ) from co-pilot to Pilot.
Baruch haba B'shem Adonai!

#14 TaniaF

TaniaF

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 10:56 AM

Does anyone use Perdium? Wonder how it works. Also with citrucel--has anyone tried the pills vs the drink?I need to get on a fiber regiment--cause when I try to change my diet, sometimes I go overboard and my C turns to D. Any advice?Tania

#15 TaniaF

TaniaF

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 10:56 AM

Does anyone use Perdium? Wonder how it works. Also with citrucel--has anyone tried the pills vs the drink?I need to get on a fiber regiment--cause when I try to change my diet, sometimes I go overboard and my C turns to D. Any advice?Tania

#16 TaniaF

TaniaF

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 10:58 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that my C is basically harder rock type stools vs soft and normal. I do have a BM daily.Tania

#17 TaniaF

TaniaF

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 10:58 AM

Sorry, forgot to add that my C is basically harder rock type stools vs soft and normal. I do have a BM daily.Tania

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here