#1 MartyG

MartyG

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:11 PM

Advertisement
Does anyone here have both thyroid and IBS problems.I've had IBS most of my life but did not develop reflux until I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. When my numbers get out of whack, things (reflux, back pain, burping, rumbling, discomfort) in my digestive area seem to increase.I believe there is some connection, just don't know what. I have been on the thyroid board and more than a few have similiar problems.Any suggestions?Marty

Advertisement

#2 watchmedream

watchmedream

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:01 AM

Hmm maybe I could have this too. How could you check for thyroid problems?
Gah

#3 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 27 June 2003 - 06:37 AM

Jupiter here from the IBD boardWMD...please stop thinking you have every illness mentioned here. I really believe that you need to stop visiting all the sections & worrying that you have everyone elses problem. I wish you all the best for your next appointment but meanwhile try to focus on something else.There is a fantastic book called 'Creative Visualisation' by Shakti Gawain. Helps you focus on being positive. Maybe your local library has it?
Jupiter119. Ulcerative colitis diagnosed 2001.

#4 Alise

Alise

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 07:29 PM

Hi Watch, your md can check your thyroid hormone levels. It's generally worth knowing. The tests aren't 100%, though. And don't listen to Jupiter--we're all looking for answers...& doesn't she sound like the average doctor? Except instead of saying it's all in your head, she wants you to get into your head...Alise

#5 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:15 AM

AliseHave you read all the other posts on the various boards by WMD? I'm trying to help her here.

#6 Alise

Alise

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 11:55 AM

Hi Jupiter,Yeah, I've read some of the other posts. No offense, I understand where you're coming from with your advice to this kid. But she's just a scared 13 year old who's lacking in social skills and obviously, parental guidance. I think everyone besides Joan is taking her offensiveness too personally. I have "Creative Visualization", and at 13, I don't think it would've done me much good. Like everyone on the planet, she just wants to be accepted, but she goes about it all wrong. I wish all of you who try to "help" her would just filter out her foul language and hyper-emotion, & genuinely try to help her w/o all this judgement. You know, give her responses that do something besides make her defensive and feel even worse about herself.Don't you wish you could talk to her parents? I do.Namaste,Alise

#7 Alise

Alise

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 12:04 PM

Marty--Are you still there? Sorry for the diversion on your topic. Just fyi, I suspect hypothyroidism because my average body temp is always low, but I've never had it checked out. That's my only symptom of hypothyroidism, so I just try to exercise frequently. With low body temp, it's important to work up a sweat each day to get rid of toxins.Alise

#8 Auroraheart

Auroraheart

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 11:44 AM

I have hypothyroidism as well, and am IBS D. (and am also on the thyroid BB)And I agree with Jupiter.
Never take someone forgranted. Hold every person close to your heart because you might wake up one day and realize that you've lost a diamond while you were too busy collecting stones

#9 Jupiter119

Jupiter119

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2003 - 07:10 PM

Hi AliseYep...I've wondered about Watchmedreams parents & would love to talk to them. Apparently they know that she visits the site here. I was just worried that WMD might be gleaning too much info from the boards here.

#10 figling

figling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 10:41 PM

After I was diagnosed with a goiter and mild hypothyroid, it seemed like my digestive problems did get worse. I've had IBS for 36 years, long before the thyroid diagnosis. But I did develop other digestive probs, such as gastritis, around the same time that the thyroid was diagnosed. I feel like it's connected, although taking thyroxine hasn't improved the digestive problems at all.

#11 Guest_perfectly_*

Guest_perfectly_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:48 AM

Hi, i've had thyroid problems since i was 13, and had my thyroid removed and so i'm now on thyroxine permanently. Over the past year i've developed IBS. I've been reading a few books about hormonal problems and came across a section about thyroids and thyroxine...apparently thyroxine is T4, which your body then has to convert a small amount of it into T3. Some peoples bodies dont do this all so well, therefore not making their bodies fully efficient. I'm not yet sure if this has a definate link to IBS though, i'm in the process of doing more research. There is another drug apart from thyroxine which already includes the T3 where studies show people taking it feel much better for it.

#12 cdette

cdette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

My IBS symptoms started when I started thyroid meds to shrink a goiter. I think I would rather have the goiter.

#13 Rick (never give up)

Rick (never give up)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:02 PM

cdette,I did a thyroid test in which they monitor your T levels on a 2 hour period, after ingesting some substance. It is more accurate. If you're still interested I can look in my archives for the exact name.

#14 KAD

KAD

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

My doctor ordered a blood thyroid test first after I dicussed my IBS symptoms with him. Apparently thyroid problems indicate bowel problems or thyroid functioning affects bowel functioning...I can't remember exactly what he said.

#15 EnemyTummy

EnemyTummy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

I have Primary Pulmonary Hypertension and hypothyroid, and I always felt those two were connected, now I have IBS (just dx). I take so many other meds that I really did NOT want to add anymore chemicals, so I am going to go the natural route first with probitics, Heather's tummy fibers and intestinew.Im sorry you have a thyroid issue too, just make sure your docs stay on top of it, too little or too much medicine can make you sick. I got diagnosed with hypothyroid over 7 years ago. I dont really have any suggestions as I am new to IBS, but I hope that you take a look at your diet, smaller meals more frequently and things that may speed up your metabolism. I try to stay away from red meat, and processed foods.Good luck!!

#16 Guest_sickofit2_*

Guest_sickofit2_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hi, i've had thyroid problems since i was 13, and had my thyroid removed and so i'm now on thyroxine permanently. Over the past year i've developed IBS. I've been reading a few books about hormonal problems and came across a section about thyroids and thyroxine...<BR><BR>apparently thyroxine is T4, which your body then has to convert a small amount of it into T3. Some peoples bodies dont do this all so well, therefore not making their bodies fully efficient. I'm not yet sure if this has a definate link to IBS though, i'm in the process of doing more research. There is another drug apart from thyroxine which already includes the T3 where studies show people taking it feel much better for it.

I have both Graves and Hashimoto's so I feel I may be qualified to comment on this topic.Thyroid levels can definitely effect the digestive track along with a multitude of other things.Low thyroid can cause it to slow causing constipation, the same way a fast thyroid can cause dirreah.There is truth to what you say about T-4 replacement and conversion to FT-3. Many people feel better supplementing a little T-3 hormone known as Cytomel. Whether it helps with your IBS is unknown but worth a try if you are experiencing constipation issues. I tried a bit of Cytomel but did not get relief, only anxiety and heart palpitations so I quit taking it. Selenium can also help with the conversion process but start out 100mg and go up from there and do not exceed 200 mg per day.Proper thyroid testing TSH, FT-4 and FT-3 would be a good thing for you to determine if it is indeed your thyroid replacement amount causing you issue. Because I have both diseases and both antibodies my thyroid lab's are very odd, one showing hyp, one showing hyper and one showing normal. It's the antibodies for me and although I do struggle with constipation I do not have any other low thyroid symptoms. If constipation is your only symptom of hypo I doubt it is your thyroid replacement. If however you are losing alot of hair, have dry skin, fatigue you may be right about your replacement.I have developed what has been called IBS by my GP post op almost immediately, however I did have issues before thyroid removal, just not as bad. I have also most recently been on 10 months of iron supplementation to correct a ferritin deficiency which has destroyed my digestive track. It's taken almost 2 months to get it working properly but I think I may have gotten it fixed.Other things for you to consider is age, stress levels, diet and fiber intake. I have noticed increasing my fiber (finally found a system that works) has relieved many of my issues.I have put off seeing a gastrointerologist for 3 years trying different thyroid replacement combinations, vitimin supplements and diets. I finally broke down 2 weeks ago after exhausting all my options and made the appt for Sept 11 but don't you know my digestive system has been working just fine for an entire week now on a new fiber I have begun.

#17 rhonalomey

rhonalomey

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

There is a simple blood test for underactive thyroid, which gives accurate levels and then you take Eltroxin, that brings the levels to normal and therefore should not be connected to ibs at all because the thyroid hormone in the blood is correct. I have both and have been taking eltroxin for 30 years and had ibs for 5 years. Of course all this is done by a doctor.

#18 seattlemom

seattlemom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

I was diagnosed with Thyroid and graves disease about 9 yrs ago when my weight dropped to 80 Lbs. I had to have my thyroid removed. I didnt get IBS till this year and I am in missery. If I didn't have to eat or drink anything I wouldnt as the bloating gets so bad after anything to eat or drink! But Sigh I have a heathy appetite so I just suffer. Does IBS Ever go away?

#19 Robin12

Robin12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:59 AM

I have noticed exactly the same thing. I have both IBS and hypothyroidism. When either of them gets out of whack, I have increased IBS symptoms and problems with terrible heartburn. I too, am looking for help. When I return to my rheumatologist I hope he will adjust my medication. Good luck and let me know if you figure out any other solutions.

#20 nitha_ni

nitha_ni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Slightly different topic from me:My dad's side of the family has a history of thyroid problems. Litterally, my dad and all of his siblings are on medication for Hypothyroidism. I've been tested nearly every two years since I was a kid (because I apparently have all the physical symptoms) but my numbers always fall within the normal range. But could having a family history of thyroid disease help trigger IBS? Because my dad defintiely has IBS as well (though he was never diagnosed. I don't think he ever told a doctor) and we share a lot of the same symptoms. Also, can you have a thyroid condition without the blood tests showing abnormal numbers?Sorry, I'm pretty new here, and still full of questions :(

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here