IBS+GERD+GAS=Chest pains and abdominal Discomfort - Abdominal Pain - IBS Self Help and Support Group Forums - IBSgroup.org
Advertisement

Photo

IBS+GERD+GAS=Chest pains and abdominal Discomfort

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

Advertisement
I have a history of IBS and have occassionally had reflux. What I have had going on now has been similiar symptoms for over a year...no loss of weight, and otherwise feel pretty good...very stressed. If it were something really bad I guess it would worsen over a year!!!??? Terrible way to think, but likely true. I have what feels to be gas pains...my question is does anyone get gas related pain just under the breast nipple...intermitent not all the time. I have not had gall bladdar checked but wouldn't it have likely gotton worse in a year?I am taking Nexium for 6 weeks, and using Citrucel.Anybody have similiar symptoms...I am a worrier..thanks

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

Can anyone help???? I am getting worried...no one similiar with 33 views already.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

quote:
I have what feels to be gas pains
Do you actualy pass gas, is it better after passing gas?
quote:
does anyone get gas related pain just under the breast nipple
Not me, but it could be possible. Sometimes I have pain in my upper leg when I bloated. IBS pain can change it`s position. For example, back pain is common in IBS. You should avoid gasy things!!Try to live without Citrucel. Fiber is gasmaker.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

i pass gas both ways!!!?? Sometimes it makes me feel btter...and the chest ache or pain comes and gos for a year or so

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:12 PM

chest pain lasts a year? I get chest pain when I'm really gassy. It usually subsides when I pass gas.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

Dukert: Are you C or D? Do you think your colon is hypersensitiv to pressure? We call it visceral gut pain. It`s common in IBS.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

Sorry I have been traveling for a few days. I am not certain I am folowing the pressure...do you mean like stress?? Do you get chest ache thats intermitent?? comes and go's. I have IBS-C AND D...sorta goes back and forth.

#8 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6019 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

I had years of indigestion and D and eventually full time abdominal burning and reflux. Fortunately, extreme gas pain only occassional. I have not had it since 1998 with flavonoid supplementation. There are solutions for this.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#9 KristinaT

KristinaT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hi Dukert.I get these pains under rib/breast area, at first it was really scary but i have now too been getting them past 6 months. Sometimes pain is dull achey then at other times it can feel like stabbing/pinching almost heart attack like lasting from 1minute to 4hrs. I have discovered that most of the time if i take Zantac and Quickeze (antacids for indigestion and heartburn and reflux or ulcers) it settles it down. Hope this helps.

Prolific Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

###overitnowCan you tell as more about the flavoid supplements that you took? Are they avaliable over the counter? What`s the brand name?

#11 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6019 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Sarmiento: It is called Provex CV. It is made by a customer marketed company, so is limited to countries where they have such operations; however, there are a group of people who resell it on eBay. I am not one of them; but if you are in North America, I can get a bottle to you to try out. The ingredients are red grape skin and seed, bilberry, gingko biloba, quercetin, and a combination of bromelain and two proteses that quadruple the absorption. It is made to stop the oxidation of cholesterol, but has a number of other uses, especially around strengthening the circulatory system. (It has been clinically tested for cardio claims although I don't know if they have done double blind studies.) It hasn't had any effect on my wife's non-IBS C; but it stopped her reflux in a couple of months--she had the "heart attack" variety--as it did mine--the nauseous kind. I have cholesterol issues and a history of heart disease in my family; my wife does not, if that matters.Mark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for all the good info...nice to see others have some chest ache or pinch....i seem to get it more after i eat...i belch after i eat..the ache seems to come and go...do you guys have IBS and Gerd...which do you believe causes the chest ache or pain??

#13 Rowe2

Rowe2

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1769 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hi Posted Image From all my miserable years of IBS I have found both IBS and GERD cause the pain/pinch. Hope you get relief soon. You are on one of the best prescription meds for the problem.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Hi - I also get upper abdominal pain/pinching - on my right side under my ribs and it radiates to my back. Sometimes I get it on both sides of my upper abdomen. I had an endoscopy last year for GERD and they found hiatal hernia. Have had IBS most of my life - mostly D in recent years. Also had colonoscopy last year - they found and removed a small benign polyp. I get so scared about all these symptoms because both parents died from cancer - my father from pancreatic cancer and mother from colon cancer. I am current getting some relief from D from the Immodium once a day. Calcium didn't work. Neither did fiber but I still take it hoping it will kick in. This board is great. It's comforting to read about others' experiences and what works for all of you. Thanks.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hello- I also get upper abdominal pain-bad gas. I just want to poke a hole in my stomach and let the gas out,becuase it is so trapped. I take beano, gasx, you name it, and sometimes nothing happens. ON top of that, I have acid reflux,so it just sets that off as well. I have had it so bad that I had to lay down in the middle of the floor at work on my left side to try and pass the gas out, in front of everyone. My aunt once told me that if I have gas to lay on my left side, and I swear by it. While it may not get it all out, there's something that gets it out quicker.

#16 twonK

twonK

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bonnie1295:My aunt once told me that if I have gas to lay on my left side, and I swear by it. While it may not get it all out, there's something that gets it out quicker.
That's interesting since I had a barium swallow procedure yesterday where you have to swallow a load of liquid but *not* burp. They told me to lie on my right side to make it go down quicker. I suppose that would make the gas go in the other direction (bowel-wards) - makes sense!pete

Meds: Provigil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, others

Current: IBS-C, OCD, Refractory Depression for 20+ years

Fixed: Hydronephrosis, Bilateral compartment syndrome

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

Sometimes I get painful trapped gas that builds back up to my ribs. My GI doctor and the pharmcist both told me me - FIBER. Fiber pills are better than that liquid or powder stuff.

#18 jms1963

jms1963

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twonK:[QUOTE]Originally posted by bonnie1295:My aunt once told me that if I have gas to lay on my left side, and I swear by it. While it may not get it all out, there's something that gets it out quicker.
In the recovery room after my colonoscopy they told me to lay on my left side to help release the gas. It worked !I also use a yoga posture (actually referred to as the wind relieving posture) - lay flat on your back, pull right knee up to chest and hold for a minute or two - then do the left side - then both. I also find that doing a spinal twist helps get things moving alonghttp://yoga.org.nz/postures/twist_yoga_instruction.htmJodie
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

I am new here but certainly not new to IBS......I also have fibromyalgia......most people w/fibro have IBS.....Yes, I do have the pain....in the lower abdomen....sometimes my intestines feel as tho they have been scrubbed inside out w/a wire brush. Very painful. It is not always in the same spot either. It moves from one side to the next. I am taking an anti-spasmodic that works pretty well and for the gas I take a very good vegetable charcoal. I live in Mexico and this charcoal is by far the best I've ever used....it really controls the gas. I have the swelling/bloating and my biggest problem is the constipation.....rarely have diaherra.....I eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, take the metamucial...and now that doesn't seem to be sufficient. I am now having to supplement w/stool softners......WHAT NEXT????

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

I get severly bloated with no gas, literally hurts to sit. sometimes the pain goes under my rib cage to my right pectoral muscle. After 10yrs of dealing with this I finally went to see a doctor. He put me on an antispasmatic.... so far no luck except the drug makes me sleepy and out of it.... any have an suggestions for severve bloating??

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2016 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here