Advertisement

Photo

loose stool constipation? (careful--sort of graphic!)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WD40

WD40

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:19 PM

Advertisement
Okay, I admit, I have been a bad girl this week not getting all my fiber and testing out naughty foods (like Taco Bell) to see how far I've come along. Today, after about 10 days of eating poorly, I am finally quite icky feeling and sipping my ginger tea to quell the nausea. My fault, I know!My question, though, is this: has anyone had a BM where you are straining as in C but when the stool finally comes out it is soft, not hard? That happened to me yesterday. It was like, dang! come out already! and then it did, a few times. I had to struggle for the whole time and yet they were soft, like they should have just scooted on out easily. Normally when I am C they are hard (either small hard bunnies or one big fat hard monster). I have not really had squishy stools while constipated. Anyone else? I will definately take some more fiber now to get some bulk. It was the strangest BM day I've had in a long time! It was as if my higher pooper muscles were working, but the last muscle that lets it all out was just stalled somehow. It was a little painful and more than frustrating. I was thinking, "ok good I have to go, it feels urgent". Then I sat down and it would NOT come out. GRRRRRRRRR! **sigh** I guess it's back to oat groats and carrots for me.

Advertisement

#2 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:24 PM

I have this same problem almost daily. I classify myself as a "C" type, but my stool is also pretty lose..it just won't come out...at least not all of it. It is very,very frustrating. I have been taking magnesium tablets (500 milligrams) every night before I go to bed, and I am noticing some improvement.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#3 Guest_Axelle_*

Guest_Axelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:27 PM

WD - that is almost always as I am! I don't understand it either! Even after days and days of C - sometimes when it finally does happen - it's almost watery! What's up with that? My Dr was concerned when I told him this and I was scheduled for one of the many tests (who even knows anymore) to see if I had a small obstruction, which I did. You're not alone - I am the same way. After getting what turned out to be 3 small little obstructions removed - I am all messed up so I don't know what to expect next. Maybe you should tell your Dr.

#4 Guest_MuStang_*

Guest_MuStang_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:29 PM

I have had those BM's too for the past couple days! I have not been eating a lot of fruit and veggies, so that might be part of my problem. Did eat canteloup this morning, going to the store soon to get more fruit and veggies. Do take metemucil each night again, still, same BM's. I am also wondering if maybe it might have something to do with my period, I am due to start mine any day now.

#5 wanderingstar

wanderingstar

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:32 PM

Hi WD40 (cool name by the way!!)I've been having the same experience as you, since being on 1/2 tablet per day of caltrate for the diarrhea. I'm constipated, it's hard to get it out, and when it does, it's soft, slippery, almost can't feel it as it comes out. This is a totally different experience for me - the times I've been constipated it's been hard and horrible! Weird huh?! I don't think it's anything to be concerned about though.wanderingstar
susan

IBS D type. I also have M.E (CFS).

#6 WD40

WD40

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:33 PM

Uh oh, an obstruction? I wonder if that is what is causing the nausea as well? I will try not to worry too much (thank God I am not the anxious type). The stools were kind of skinny, but not pencil-thin. I will give it another week with increased fiber and see what happens. I hadn't even considered the possibility of blockage. Thanks for the heads-up! I will keep a good watch this week. I have run out of my vitamin and mineral supplements, where I was getting my calcium and magnesium, so that could also be a factor, too.

#7 WD40

WD40

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 04:39 PM

Hi again guys and gals,I don't know which is worse, the D or the C. Sometimes I think I'd rather have the painful bout of loose stools because afterwards I feel all cleaned out. With the C I get all irritable and frustrated, it hurts up high and down low, I feel bloated and over all yucky and headachy. This C was a little strange in that it felt like it was going to be the loose stool-D type but it was loose-stool C type. Aargh! No satisfaction whatsoever! For those who have this all the time, hats off to you for your patience and endurance! It's so annoying! Thank goodness for psyllium husks! They usually bulk me up overnight, so hopefully it will work this time, too.

#8 Guest_LucyCat_*

Guest_LucyCat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2000 - 07:06 PM

Geezzzzz guys....I am usually constipated daily.....but about once a week or so I have what you described...It's always a b***h to get out.....I am exhausted aferwards. And worse yet, I never really feel like I am done. I always have that feeling that I have to go. I recently went through a colonoscopy, so there are no obstructions. I drink citrucel daily, take a stool softener, and I have just started to take magnesium. For some reason, today I feel absoloutly NORMAL! I am wracking my brain to figure out what I did yesterday.....If I figure it out, I'll be sure to do it again. WD40....make an appointment with your doctor and check things out, for your own peace of mind.LucyCat

#9 AD

AD

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 30 June 2000 - 09:24 PM

I feel the same way. I have taken milk of magnesia every day for the past 3 years, which turns everything into total liquid. Yet, I still never go enough. It is just as if black coffee is coming out in small amounts. I classify myself as IBS-C and will not be totally satisfied until I can depend on a daily colon cleansing.

#10 WD40

WD40

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for the responses. My mind is at ease for now, I am one of those IBSers who tends not to worry until something becomes persistent. And since I hear this is quite "normal" for some of you, I will just chalk it up to IBS. If the fiber doesn't change then I will talk to the doc, but I can guarantee she will just tell me it's the IBS manifesting itself and not to worry.

#11 Guest_JessLG_*

Guest_JessLG_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2000 - 03:32 PM

WD, When I had that problem my doctor thought I had harden stool blocking the way inside. He suggested a regimen of Metamucil for a few days to clear everything out. For me it worked because obviously mine was not as severe as some who have responded to you. My brother's girlfriend also had the problem and they suggested she take a small dose of Milk of Magnesia(?) to clean out her system. If natural fibers don't work for you maybe one of these two approachs could help clean you out so you can start over.Take care.Jess

#12 carole

carole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 04:54 PM

Hi WDI go like that very often. I also have had my sigmoid removed which leaves no storage and I very rarely feel completely finished. I know how you feel but I thought it was due to not great muscle control. I am on lotronex but am having a second relapse ( have been on it since April) this week and going pretty often with these ribbon like stools. I never thought of these pieces as C since I used to go 5 to 15 times a day but maybe I need to rethink my situation. When the lotronex works I have these very hard, sometimes huge things come out!! Is not that constipation? I am confused but hope you feel better soon.------------------

#13 katy

katy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 01 July 2000 - 05:03 PM

Like many here, I am like that daily. It's a struggle to get out at first but it's always soft. Once I get the first stool out it's easier for the rest to follow. I can't figure that out.However, I did try an experiment the one day. Usually, I take my teaspoon of Perdiem before bed. A few days ago I took 1/2t. in the morning and 1/2t. before bed and it actually helped! Maybe the fiber needs to be mixed in there throughout the day to keep things moving better? The only thing is, I don't like taking it in the morning because I feel more bloating during the day. Ho, hum. What's one to do?------------------C-Type IBS (slow motility)

#14 Guest_octavia_*

Guest_octavia_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2000 - 01:26 AM

Ribbon like soft bm's are the only kind I have. Every once in a while, my 4 year old forgets to flush, and I find myself looking into the bowl with a wistful longing look at a NORMAL BM!!! I would very much like to have normal bm's again, I never though about there being an obstruction, that's kind of a scary thought, does this ever happen for other reasons? ------------------If nothing changes, nothing changes.

#15 Guest_BARBARA LYNN_*

Guest_BARBARA LYNN_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2000 - 01:43 AM

I also get those soft "ribbon like" BMs. I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who classifies myself as a C, but still has soft stools. Not to get graphic here, but has anyone noticed that the more irritated your bowel is the more "ribbon like" they get?

#16 Guest_LucyCat_*

Guest_LucyCat_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2000 - 01:55 AM

What makes them change shape? Sometimes they are normal sized, and then sometimes they are the thin "ribbon like" variety.....does the bowel swell up when it's irritated? And it also seems that the ribbons are harder to get out...why is that?LucyCat

#17 Spirit

Spirit

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 02 July 2000 - 06:03 AM

That would be me. Sometimes I even get the "strain to get out" super spft stool, immediately followed by rock hard pellets. Again, followed by super soft, and so on, and so on.It really sucks.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here