#1 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

Advertisement
I have seen several different preps here. Mine (monday test) involves stopping food tonight (Sat.)at 6 pm. Magnesium Citrate at 8. Sunday fluids only. 1.5 oz fleet phospho soda at 11:30 and 5:30. Then 4 dulcolax at 8 pm. Lots of water. I know alot of you do those lyltely drinks and wouldn't have to start their prep til tomorrow for a monday test. Which prep do you prefer? I know it's hard if you haven't done both. Sometimes I wonder about asking for the lytley drink instead? Thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

Is it for a colonoscopy?I didn't remember that you have to fast one day.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#3 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

Sorry...I should have mentioned what it was for! Yes a colonoscopy. All the preps include not eating the day before. Some, like mine, actually start a little earlier than that!

#4 buttmunch

buttmunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:44 PM

I prefer the magnesium citrate. It tastes a whole lot better than Phospho-Soda. There's also the pill version of the Phospho-Soda, but I can't remember the name of it.

#5 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

See that's what I mean by a lot of different preps. I had to do magnesium citrate AND phospho soda. Buttmunch did you only have to do one? I had to do magnesium citrate 2 nights before and then phospho soda 2x the day before! Also 4 dulcolax.

#6 MCPayne

MCPayne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:31 AM

Well, I've had several colonoscopies, and one coming up. I've had different doctors as I have relocated several times because of my dad's job. This colonoscopy coming up is the Miralax prep, and it's my first time using this prep method. It doesn't sound like it will be that bad aside from the amount of Gatorade I have to drink. I didn't really care too much for the Magnesium Citrate, although that is not as bad as the phospho soda, which I really did not care for.

#7 phoenixitc

phoenixitc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:07 AM

I have only had one colonoscopy and did the 4 Ducolax & Miralax prep. It was easy and went quickly. I took the Docolax at 5pm, started the Miralax at 7pm drinking 8oz of Gatoraid/Miralax solution every 15 minutes. I felt no naseau, very little cramping, and had no soreness of the bottom. I had several BMs that night, slept well, had a couple when I woke up and it was all over by 7am. My procedure was at 2pm.

#8 willie

willie

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

None better or easier than the Dulcolax prep...one that was initially related to me by an IBS board member several years ago. Ived used it for six colonoscopies as well as my colon resection surgery...each time it was easy, effective and thorough with no cramping, side effects or other unpleasantness.Take a light diet the day before and the day you start the prep...nothing extensive, just easy to digest. Then two days prior to the test you take two Dulcolax at 10PM. Next morning (1 day prior to the test) you begin a clear liquid diet and take two more Dulcolax tablets at 10AM...and then two more at 4PM..thats it. You take nothing by mouth after midnight. Then the next morning you have your colonoscopy....then end. Works like a charm everytime. Posted Imagewillie

#9 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

I just had mine done and I had to take 2 pills in the AM. Then about 5ish I had to drink a gallon of gator aid with Miralax. I watered down the gatorade with water. Got everything out OK but couldn't keep all that gatorade stuff down. Didn't eat a thing the day before.Wound up with so much gas and couldn't get a fart to come out. When I finally did get a couple of loud ones out the nurse said it sounded like music to her ears. I wanted to ask her how it was to her nose. There were about 6 of us in a little area all farting in harmony. Posted Image Must have been the farting capitol of the world. Posted Image

#10 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImageTHANKS WILLIE FOR THE DULCO PREP!!!That's what i don't like about Miralax(Golytely) the gas is extremly uncomfortable before it gets out.I didn't know you were musician Stinky.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#11 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

SpAs, I was then Posted Image Posted Image

#12 willie

willie

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

My next Dulcolax prep is around the corner...next colonoscopy is 9 November...its almost become routine now.

#13 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

Willie-is this the prep your dr. gives you? or do you do this instead of the one the dr. gives you. Mine usually gives me the 1.citrate of magnesia 2. fleet phospho 3.another fleet phospho 4.dulcolax. I'd love to just do dulcolax but am afraid to just go ahead and do what I want. What if prep isn't sufficient?

#14 willie

willie

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

Both.....way back when I was about to have my first colonoscopy, I was a member of this board and a wonderful lady saw that I was anxious about the whole procedure and sent me an email detailing the Dulcolax Prep. When I went to my gastro doc to schedule my colonoscopy I explained the prep to her and she said that it sounded fine to her versus the horrible alternatives. Things went great....I even asked her after the first procedure if I was well prepped and she said she hadnt seen any better. So from then on, when I go in she keeps telling me to keep doing what I have been doing. When I had to go in for colon surgery, the surgeon also agreed that the prep I had been using should be fine....it was. So, its not just something that I trumped up in defiance...its a great procedure that works wonderfully well without all the problems. You must take in a lot of fluids on the day prior to your colonoscopy. Perhaps the only downside of this prep is that it takes a bit longer which is fine with me.willie

#15 Lauri1

Lauri1

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hmmm something to keep in mind for my next one. 22 months and counting... Posted Image Thanks!

#16 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Tomorrow I can't eat at all--Posted Image and at noon have to take 4 delayed-release tablets of Bisacodyl. Then, about 4 hours later I have to drink 1/2 gallon of Half-lightly (8 ounces every 10 minutes). We'll see how it goes. I haven't done this prep before. I am being put out with Propofol(sp?) so I am doing this outpt in the hospital at 1:30pm on Thursday. God, I only weigh 100lbs I can only imagine what my weight will be by Thursday evening having had nothing to eat for 2 days! Good luck to everybody going through this ordeal. I hope I get to report that this time around I remembered NOTHING about the procedure.
Tiss

#17 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:59 PM

I've been sick as a dog from the pills. Vomiting. I feel better right now. Have to start drinking the half-lightly around 5pm. Wish this was over.
Tiss

#18 stinky too

stinky too

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:05 PM

The stuff made me barf too, but at least it wasn't like I was barfing and having D all at once, like from a migraine.you will get thru this. Hopefully all will come out OK Posted Imagerooting for you stinky

#19 willie

willie

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

I can't believe people still subject themselves to that horror....its barbaric. Im so sorry you have to go through all that. If I had to take that #### I'd likely have died from colon cancer....instead, the anxiety and misery was minimized to the point that the prep is just an inconvenience really. Many thanks to an IBS board member named Cece that passed the Dulcolax prep on to me and I have since passed it on to hundreds of others that no longer have to gag and suffer. The easier you make the whole procedure, the more people are likely to get checked. Bonne chance, willie

#20 willie

willie

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:02 PM

Colonoscopy went nearly perfectly today. Nothing found of consequence which is exceedingly good news. The prep went better than usual this time though I did have a lot of irritation toward the end. I should have also indicated in the pure Dulcolax prep that the diet prior to starting this prep is important. A day or even two days prior to starting this prep you need to ingest a fairly low residue, easy to digest diet. I'd stay away from pork or beef. I like pasta and the like just before I begin the prep. I also found that Mango flavored Gatoraide is great. All done for a while now...I hope this info will help some of you that have the courage to talk to your physicians about it and not just accept what they throw at you. Best of luck, willie

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here