2 replies to this topic

#1 REF

REF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:37 AM

Advertisement
I have a question and was wondering if someone could help. I have been diagnosed with IBS. I have been prescribed Robinul, but stopped taking it because it didn't seem to be helping. I am fine all day until I lay down at night. I get enormously bloated and get alot or gurgling/popping in my stomach which I could feel travel down into my intestines. Most nights it keeps me awake or wakes me up during the night. Is this a common symptom of IBS and is there anything I could do to relieve this?Also, why do I experience this only after I lay down?Thank you.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,911 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:37 AM

A lot of IBSers have bloating and noisy guts.One though on worse when you lie down may be the same reason pain or itching is often worse at bedtime when you lie down. You have nothing else to distract you so the brain focuses on the symptoms more at that time than it does when you are up and moving and looking at things and having other things to hear.Although I do tend to be more farty at bedtime than other times of the day. I think this is because of the timing of meals and gas production during the day for me.You might look at probiotics as these bacteria do not produce gas when they digest carbs. Acidophilus is a common name for them but there are lots of brands. The one I like lately is Digestive Advantage IBS, which is nice as it doesn't have to be refrigerated and I can get it at Walgreens and CVS.For some people digestive enzymes with pancreatic enzymes in them can help with bloating when taken with meals, but for me I use that mostly from the post eating "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" feeling that I sometimes get even from a small meal.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Axolotl

Axolotl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:51 AM

Finally found someone with the same symptoms! I have none of the usual IBS symptoms except when I lay down at night to try to sleep. Random pains start in my large intestine and keep me awake or I wake up and the pains restart. I have no constipation, nor diarrhea during the day but only at night in bed does the pain start. It feels like gas related pain but the pain can pop up anywhere around my large intestine. I am sure there is an element of thinking about the problem in bed that causes the problem thus setting up a vicious circle.I have looked at lots of different IBS websites but have never found any case that matched my own symptoms until now. I have tried all sorts of remedies but to no avail. Has anyone else suffered from the same nighttime only problem or even better found a remedy?

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here