36 replies to this topic

#1 stones71

stones71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 04:12 PM

Advertisement
When I was younger, I had strep throat every winter and was on a lot of antibiotics. I have heard that antibiotics can lead to IBS along with tragedy and stress. I am not sure if this is true or not...but it sounds like it could be. When I was younger(in the 80's) they didn't give kids asidophilus to help their immune system while they took antibiotics. It's rare that doctors do that today. Just wondering what you guys think about this. I went through a tragedy when I was 13 and took antibiotics when I was younger...so I guess they both could be the reasoning behind my having IBS. I don't know if "they" really understand what causes this problem.

Advertisement

#2 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 04:48 PM

stones71, it is very possible and likely this was the start of it for you.Here is some info for you read this and all the links to it and that will help you understand it more hopefully. http://www.gastro.org/adhf/ibs-guide.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#3 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 30 July 2001 - 04:48 PM

stones71, it is very possible and likely this was the start of it for you.Here is some info for you read this and all the links to it and that will help you understand it more hopefully. http://www.gastro.org/adhf/ibs-guide.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#4 BARBARA HALL

BARBARA HALL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 01:37 AM

I KNOW FIRST HAND THEY CAN STIR IBS UP . I ONLY MET ONE DOCTOR WHO PUT MY DAUGHTER ON ANTIBOTICS FOR ACNE AND HE TOLD HER TO EAT YOGURT WHILE TAKING THEM SO SHE WOULD NOT GET A YEAST INFECTION BECAUSE ANTIBOTICS CAN CAUSE THAT TO.

#5 BARBARA HALL

BARBARA HALL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 August 2001 - 01:37 AM

I KNOW FIRST HAND THEY CAN STIR IBS UP . I ONLY MET ONE DOCTOR WHO PUT MY DAUGHTER ON ANTIBOTICS FOR ACNE AND HE TOLD HER TO EAT YOGURT WHILE TAKING THEM SO SHE WOULD NOT GET A YEAST INFECTION BECAUSE ANTIBOTICS CAN CAUSE THAT TO.

#6 bethy_3

bethy_3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 02:39 AM

Dear Stones 71,I have an interesting and thought provoking story for you. I know you posted your message a while back but I have only recently became an active member of the IBS support page so please forgive my lateness.Anyway, to make a long story short I too am VERY interested in the after effects of antibiotics and IBS. I was just on the chat room tonight asking around of anyone who has had surgury or any other reasons why they may have had to ingest large amounts of antibiotics at a young age.Here is My story...I had surgury only at 6months of age. I was on very very high does of anitbiotics for a prolonged period of time. Being so young this is (we know now) very dangerous for the development of the intestines and the stomach. As a child I always had gas and a bloated irritated stomach. I was diagnosed with IBS at age 9. It is now 15 years later and I am still with it. I have learned how to control it but am in doubts about antibiotics, especially with young children. If you have any new information about this please let me know.Thanks,bethy_3

#7 bethy_3

bethy_3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 02:39 AM

Dear Stones 71,I have an interesting and thought provoking story for you. I know you posted your message a while back but I have only recently became an active member of the IBS support page so please forgive my lateness.Anyway, to make a long story short I too am VERY interested in the after effects of antibiotics and IBS. I was just on the chat room tonight asking around of anyone who has had surgury or any other reasons why they may have had to ingest large amounts of antibiotics at a young age.Here is My story...I had surgury only at 6months of age. I was on very very high does of anitbiotics for a prolonged period of time. Being so young this is (we know now) very dangerous for the development of the intestines and the stomach. As a child I always had gas and a bloated irritated stomach. I was diagnosed with IBS at age 9. It is now 15 years later and I am still with it. I have learned how to control it but am in doubts about antibiotics, especially with young children. If you have any new information about this please let me know.Thanks,bethy_3

#8 Tricky

Tricky

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 08:36 AM

I blame them for the start of mine

#9 Tricky

Tricky

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 08:36 AM

I blame them for the start of mine

#10 metoo

metoo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 01:36 PM

I have no doubt that antibiotics caused my IBS. I had no problems until I was give multiple antibiotics over a short period of time for H.Pylori and ever since then I have been constipated and been unable to tolerate all foods and it keeps getting worse and worse even though I've stopped taking antibiotics over 2.5 years ago.I was eating 2 cups of yogurt a day during the antibiotics (love yogurt, now I cannot tolerate it) It didn't do a think for me. I've been taking probiotics for years but it has made no difference.I believe that antibiotics are a lot more dangerous than people are aware.

#11 metoo

metoo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 01:36 PM

I have no doubt that antibiotics caused my IBS. I had no problems until I was give multiple antibiotics over a short period of time for H.Pylori and ever since then I have been constipated and been unable to tolerate all foods and it keeps getting worse and worse even though I've stopped taking antibiotics over 2.5 years ago.I was eating 2 cups of yogurt a day during the antibiotics (love yogurt, now I cannot tolerate it) It didn't do a think for me. I've been taking probiotics for years but it has made no difference.I believe that antibiotics are a lot more dangerous than people are aware.

#12 jmadams

jmadams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 09:30 PM

Metoo, so you never had any lose stools or throwing up in response to stress? (I never did).I wonder if I've ruined my GI system forever now.Is your constipation typical IBS type (with cramping?)

#13 jmadams

jmadams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 09:30 PM

Metoo, so you never had any lose stools or throwing up in response to stress? (I never did).I wonder if I've ruined my GI system forever now.Is your constipation typical IBS type (with cramping?)

#14 itchi

itchi

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 11:46 PM

My IBS was caused by antibiotics also. I also developed lots of problems with food intolerances and have to really watch what I eat. I had had diarhea with antibiotic use before, but it was the time that the antibiotic caused constipation that my stomach never returned to normal. I also believe that antibiotics are more harmful than they are thought to be by the medical community, especially with longterm use.

#15 itchi

itchi

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 07 February 2002 - 11:46 PM

My IBS was caused by antibiotics also. I also developed lots of problems with food intolerances and have to really watch what I eat. I had had diarhea with antibiotic use before, but it was the time that the antibiotic caused constipation that my stomach never returned to normal. I also believe that antibiotics are more harmful than they are thought to be by the medical community, especially with longterm use.

#16 Paiewonsky

Paiewonsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 12:26 PM

Mine too. 3 years ago I had to terminate a pregnancy at 5 months because it had no brain. I then had toe surgery and external pins were placed in the toe for 1 month they got infected. To make a long story short I had taken 60,000 mg of anitbiotics in a years period. IBS started and I hate it.

#17 Paiewonsky

Paiewonsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 12:26 PM

Mine too. 3 years ago I had to terminate a pregnancy at 5 months because it had no brain. I then had toe surgery and external pins were placed in the toe for 1 month they got infected. To make a long story short I had taken 60,000 mg of anitbiotics in a years period. IBS started and I hate it.

#18 Lizbec

Lizbec

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 04:49 PM

Yes!!! Definitely. Which is why I recently delayed seeing the doctor about a horrible cough (I knew she'd give me anti-bs cos i'm asthmatic). Turned out i had pneumonia and I was really ill. I think that there are times when we need anti-bs but I also think they get overprescribed. My son(aged 7) has had them prescribed loads of times for "glue ear". And i have noticed that his bms are typically fluffy, frothy and full of mucous. It doesn't seem to bother him but i have serious concerns for his future health.In the meantime he still has ear problems!!!!liz
Diagnosed UC in january 2003.Disease still active;hoping for remission

#19 Lizbec

Lizbec

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 04:49 PM

Yes!!! Definitely. Which is why I recently delayed seeing the doctor about a horrible cough (I knew she'd give me anti-bs cos i'm asthmatic). Turned out i had pneumonia and I was really ill. I think that there are times when we need anti-bs but I also think they get overprescribed. My son(aged 7) has had them prescribed loads of times for "glue ear". And i have noticed that his bms are typically fluffy, frothy and full of mucous. It doesn't seem to bother him but i have serious concerns for his future health.In the meantime he still has ear problems!!!!liz
Diagnosed UC in january 2003.Disease still active;hoping for remission

#20 bethy_3

bethy_3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 February 2002 - 07:41 PM

Lizbec,For me, please watch our for your 9 year old son. Like I said, I think ani-b's as some people call them are very dangerous for children. If you read my story up a few reply's, my surgery was because of ear infections. I know it sounds strange but I don't want your son do be at risk for IBS. Beth

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here