#1 badfoot

badfoot

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 06:11 PM

Advertisement
Anyone else suffer from this combination? I've had IBS C&D for 12 years, and gradually have developed chronic sinus problems year round. I've been dairy free, which seemed to help initially, but not in the long term. I already eat very carefully (veg., brown rice, fish etc.) Any suggestions appreciated. blessings.

Advertisement

#2 clare

clare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 06:38 PM

I have had chronic sinusitis for years, and also appraently IBS, tho I was only diagnosed this week.I am conviced the 2 are linked, but don't know how!Eg. when I took the laxatives for the barium enema my sinuses dired up completely.When I take the anti-spasmodics for cramp my sinuses clear!!All I can think is it's a mucous membrane thing! Posted Image

#3 clare

clare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 06:38 PM

I have had chronic sinusitis for years, and also appraently IBS, tho I was only diagnosed this week.I am conviced the 2 are linked, but don't know how!Eg. when I took the laxatives for the barium enema my sinuses dired up completely.When I take the anti-spasmodics for cramp my sinuses clear!!All I can think is it's a mucous membrane thing! Posted Image

#4 Stampede66

Stampede66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:05 PM

I actually signed on to create a thread regarding a very similar issue. I was very surprised to see this thread already as I appear to have convinced myself (no one agrees with me) that breathing and IBS are connected. I can't get a doctor to agree or even look into it as they refuse to acknowledge that there may be a link of any sort.My problem is a little different. I start off with IBS-C, major bloating and difficulty breathing (sinusitis blockage also, but breathing I am more concerned about, particularly wheezing). A couple of days later I start sneezing like a maniac (allergies I guess) and then the IBS-D kicks in. Several days later I am then again back to my everyday state. This happens to me several times a year. Anyone have a similar problem?I have also seen an allergist regarding the problem and he says that it is Ashtma. Well, I have an inhaler that I only use for the above problem and also I don't have any difficulty breathing when I am not bloated. Asthma is not likely the problem. Any suggestions?

#5 Stampede66

Stampede66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:05 PM

I actually signed on to create a thread regarding a very similar issue. I was very surprised to see this thread already as I appear to have convinced myself (no one agrees with me) that breathing and IBS are connected. I can't get a doctor to agree or even look into it as they refuse to acknowledge that there may be a link of any sort.My problem is a little different. I start off with IBS-C, major bloating and difficulty breathing (sinusitis blockage also, but breathing I am more concerned about, particularly wheezing). A couple of days later I start sneezing like a maniac (allergies I guess) and then the IBS-D kicks in. Several days later I am then again back to my everyday state. This happens to me several times a year. Anyone have a similar problem?I have also seen an allergist regarding the problem and he says that it is Ashtma. Well, I have an inhaler that I only use for the above problem and also I don't have any difficulty breathing when I am not bloated. Asthma is not likely the problem. Any suggestions?

#6 LinuxRules

LinuxRules

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:41 PM

I've had both sinus problems (chronic, year-round) and IBS-D for decades. I've also noticed a correlation between certain events and my two problems. For example, every time I've had surgery, my breathing improves for a couple of days. Is this due to something in the anesthesia? the oxygen? something else?This is a very interesting topic...I'm anxious to see what others might have to say.

#7 LinuxRules

LinuxRules

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:41 PM

I've had both sinus problems (chronic, year-round) and IBS-D for decades. I've also noticed a correlation between certain events and my two problems. For example, every time I've had surgery, my breathing improves for a couple of days. Is this due to something in the anesthesia? the oxygen? something else?This is a very interesting topic...I'm anxious to see what others might have to say.

#8 itchi

itchi

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:59 PM

I have IBS C and sinus problems too, but my IBS C came from the antibiotics I took for the chronic sinus problem. One connection though is that foods that bother my IBS often also bother my sinuses(for instance wheat and dairy).Itchi

#9 itchi

itchi

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 09:59 PM

I have IBS C and sinus problems too, but my IBS C came from the antibiotics I took for the chronic sinus problem. One connection though is that foods that bother my IBS often also bother my sinuses(for instance wheat and dairy).Itchi

#10 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 11:34 PM

Look into histamine and its effect on the GI Tract, which can be triggered some different ways.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#11 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 11:34 PM

Look into histamine and its effect on the GI Tract, which can be triggered some different ways.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#12 Guest_4willieC_*

Guest_4willieC_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:44 AM

Count me in this club...year round sinusitis and IBS C type. What Eric said is very important...check it out.

#13 Guest_4willieC_*

Guest_4willieC_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:44 AM

Count me in this club...year round sinusitis and IBS C type. What Eric said is very important...check it out.

#14 Guest_Artspirit_*

Guest_Artspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:29 AM

My doctor told me that mere post nasal drip can cause gas, if that is any help? So based on that response, it would appear that anyone with allergies or sinus problems year round (as I have) might have some G.I. issues arising because of it.

#15 Guest_Artspirit_*

Guest_Artspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:29 AM

My doctor told me that mere post nasal drip can cause gas, if that is any help? So based on that response, it would appear that anyone with allergies or sinus problems year round (as I have) might have some G.I. issues arising because of it.

#16 Guest_Artspirit_*

Guest_Artspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:31 AM

Grace..... your IBS probably improved after surgery because your intestinal tract is empty.

#17 Guest_Artspirit_*

Guest_Artspirit_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2002 - 08:31 AM

Grace..... your IBS probably improved after surgery because your intestinal tract is empty.

#18 MaritimeGirl

MaritimeGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:10 PM

I logged on today for the same reason. We started discussing sinus several days ago in the Women's Issues when we started talking about Candida. I've had chronic sinus problems/nasal drip/allergies(?) for about 7 years. I can't get rid of the pain in my face. I've tried MANY things. I even had a brain scan to check for cancer. I do not eat dairy but I'm noticing a connection to breads and sugars(?). It's bad enough that IBS-D interferes with my family life but when my sinuses flare up it's harder to get control of it and the constant headaches/face pain makes me cranky. I've really noticed that my health issue is making an impact on my 5 year old. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Posted Image

#19 MaritimeGirl

MaritimeGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 12:10 PM

I logged on today for the same reason. We started discussing sinus several days ago in the Women's Issues when we started talking about Candida. I've had chronic sinus problems/nasal drip/allergies(?) for about 7 years. I can't get rid of the pain in my face. I've tried MANY things. I even had a brain scan to check for cancer. I do not eat dairy but I'm noticing a connection to breads and sugars(?). It's bad enough that IBS-D interferes with my family life but when my sinuses flare up it's harder to get control of it and the constant headaches/face pain makes me cranky. I've really noticed that my health issue is making an impact on my 5 year old. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Posted Image

#20 MaggieMae

MaggieMae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 07:48 PM

I don't suffer from allergies or sinusitis, but I have noticed that every time I eat, not matter what it is, my sinuses start to drain. I have to blow my nose after every meal. I mentioned it to the doctor, but he didn't really seem concerned.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here