#1 Tattoo

Tattoo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 01:15 PM

Advertisement
Do see the complete article, but I've excerpted some seemingly relevant portions below.
quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The military has traditionally focused on the dangers associated with heat illness, which has killed a number of healthy, young enrollees, Colonel John W. Gardner of the Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner in Rockville, Maryland told Reuters Health. However, pushing the need to drink water too far can also have deadly consequences, he said...In an interview with Reuters Health, Gardner explained that drinking too much water is dangerous because the body cannot excrete that much fluid. Excess water then goes to the bowel, which pulls salt into it from the body, diluting the concentration of salt in the tissues.Changing the concentration of salt, in turn, causes a shifting of fluids within the body, which can then induce a swelling in the brain. The swollen organ will then press against the bones of the skull, and become damaged.
These are extreme cases (see article), of course, but I suspect the same sodium imbalance and its effect on the bowels are the culprits when my D worsens after I try to drink a lot of water.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,895 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:37 PM

This has been known for some time.Typically the 1st gallon of replacement fluid should be water, but anything after that should be something that contains some salt, etc.Back in the old days they used to dose everyone out in the heat with salt pills to counteract the problem of needing to drink too much water.Avoiding water when you are in extreme heat is not a good idea, either. But after that first several glasses of water start alternating it with gatorade or pedialyte or other electrolyte containing drinks.K.Adding here is a link to guidelines about maximum water consumption rates http://www.capnhq.gov/nhq/cp/encampments/AETC.htm
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 OppOnn

OppOnn

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 07:26 PM

If I drink too much water, I gurgle. So, I don'tthink I drink enough. However, I feel morecomfortable drinking less. At the back of mymind, I keep thinking this is not so good, but...Gatorade prolonged my d once for days. Too muchsugar, I think, in it.Does anyone know of something with less sugarto take after a d. I know there is somethingin the UK, but not sure what or if availablein the US. O
Crohn's ileitis. Mild.

#4 LOSTCODE

LOSTCODE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 01:38 AM

I added sea salt today on my rice and I think it may have helped my IBS. I don't think it has to be in a drink. Try consuming a little extra sea salt in a food that you eat. Just remember that this is just me experimenting and not factual help.

#5 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 11:53 AM

"Water can kill you".Res Ipsa Loquitur. Look what it does to fish...the good they die young Posted Image MNL
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

#6 Guest_NDGSTN_*

Guest_NDGSTN_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2002 - 01:53 PM

Really really really hot and humid 45c + here.Usually get 6-8 x8oz of water a day or other fluids.Been perspiring a lot in the heat and no air-con so tried to drink extra water to keep hydrated. Guess what?Ended up breaking out in even more of a sweat in waves after each sip. Hands got clammy and felt very sick. This is a new one - very strange.

#7 AD

AD

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 04 July 2002 - 03:46 PM

This is interesting since I know water is the WORST thing for me when I feel nauseated or have upper GI discomfort. For some reason, water has more trouble staying down than any solid food. I have actually regurgitated water during a few bouts of nausea, but I've never once had any foods or acids come up. I don't even get heartburn. Often, I just feel like water sits in my stomach for hours without moving at all. It's almost as if my stomach has to "work hard" to "digest" water and move it down. My stomach feels like a bottle, and the water I drink just continues to "fill" eventually "overflowing." Yet it has NOTHING to do with acid or heartburn.Sometimes, certain dry foods seem to soak up the excess water hanging around in my stomach. Naturally, eating dry foods without much water makes me a bit more thirsty. I often wonder how the absorption of water by certain foods affects sensations of fullness and bloating and their duration. I think this is probably what makes things like bread, pasta, cereal, and rice more "filling" or satisfying to some people.

#8 Julia37

Julia37

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 July 2002 - 10:26 PM

There's a drink called SmartWater at Whole Foods, that's water with electrolytes added and no sugar, fruit, or other such. Since I'm fructose intolerant I can't have the ones with sugar and such.I think Gatorade has changed since it was first put on the market. It has a lot more sugars now, like high fructose corn syrup. I think the marketing efforts to make it in new flavors and make it appeal to more people has affected it's quality. It's owned by a different company now.Also there was a new water being given out on the street here - forget the name of it but it's labeled as a sport drink. It's not, all it is is sugar water. The second ingredient is "sucrose syrup". Sucrose is the chemical name for table sugar. I was so angry about this misleading labeling I tried to talk to one of the marketing people, but she said to write a letter to the company. Like I have nothing better to do than write letters to companies to teach them what they should already know - I work for a living too!! Posted Image Ok, calming down now - my point is, check the ingredient label. Marketers will put anything on the front.I got along yesterday on 3 sausages, chips, and plenty of water - Nothing like Andouille sausage and bread after a long day at a music festival... Posted Image

#9 PippylongStockings

PippylongStockings

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 12:43 AM

I'll have to show this article to those dieting women pushing me to drink over 100oz of water a day.

#10 Jeanne D

Jeanne D

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 01:21 AM

Everything in moderation, as the saying goes.I've always heard that 6 to 8, 8oz glasses a day is a healthy amt.Jeanne Posted Image

#11 Tattoo

Tattoo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 04:20 PM

> I'll have to show this article to those > dieting women pushing me to drink over > 100oz of water a day.So... I suppose that diet works because you can't get out of the bathroom for long enough to actually eat anything??? Posted Image

#12 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 12:17 AM

There is a thread about parasites too. What about water having deadly parasites?
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here