10 replies to this topic

#1 chrisvoorhees

chrisvoorhees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:18 AM

Advertisement
I'm beginning to wonder if most of my problems are attributed to gas. I have pains, in my arms, especially my left arm, and shoulder upper back pain, I'm beginning to wonder if this is gas/ibs problems....???

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:37 AM

I don't think arm pain would be from the gas in your colon.Sometimes gall bladder attacks are felt in the upper back near the shoulder blade, but not so much in the arms. Most often on the right side since the gall bladder is on the right.I would have this investigated as something else first. You may have a shoulder joint problem, or a pinched nerve.Just because you have IBS that does not mean that everything in the body that is wrong is from the IBS.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:10 PM

A good rule of thumb is that if you don't eventually pass the gas, then there never was any gas.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#4 jezabel_007

jezabel_007

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:53 PM

I get that too, no clue what it is. I find that taking a breath makes it hurt even more, especially deep breaths. But I just ride it out. I don't get it oftan.

#5 Tlyon

Tlyon

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:25 AM

I have had pain in my shoulder and back from gas. And for those of you who will say that it is unusal I have this example. After I had surgery, I woke up with pain in shoulders, neck, and back. To the point that moving was almost impossible. Called the doctor, who said that it was caused by air that had been put into me to basically blow things up, so they could get in. Gas. He told me to take a mild laxative, and it should go away. It did. So yeah, I think gas is capable of causing pain in the upper body.

#6 kazzy3

kazzy3

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:51 AM

It's true pain in the upper back and shoulders can be gas. I was told this after my c-sections as well. I think the arms can sometimes be affected as well. I still get these types of pain pretty regularly as well as the regular abdominal pain.

#7 magso

magso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:10 AM

It's true pain in the upper back and shoulders can be gas. I was told this after my c-sections as well. I think the arms can sometimes be affected as well. I still get these types of pain pretty regularly as well as the regular abdominal pain.

I have a gall bladder problem and went to hospital with pains in my right side, my arms, shoulders, stomach - I had bloods taken, xrays etc and was told that it was being caused by gas so yes, you can get back, shoulder and arm pains from gas.

#8 lukajaare

lukajaare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:11 AM

Had a c-section several years back, is it the reason as to why i experience upper body aches to date? I get sharp pains in my upper back, chest and shoulders especially in the morning on waking up such that i can't stand immediately but sit for a while fast, however the abdominal pains aren't so frequent.

#9 Sorbsy

Sorbsy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, all my life gas has had a tendency to 'refer' to the most unexpected and distant regions in my body, but for some reason I could always tell it was intestinal gas versus something else causing pressure on a nerve. I haven't had it in my arm, though, only as far as my collarbone. It can be especially painful to take a deep breath, both in the lower abdomen and wherever the pain is shooting.That said, however, I'm also prone to pulling ligaments in my back and pinching nerves. When I yank my thoracic out of place, the pain radiates down my arm from my shoulder and back, and it also hurts when I take a deep breath. I would say it's better to not assume if you can't immediately tell it's gas — when it's originating in my intestines, it's very apparent that gut pressure is the culprit.
"As a doctor I should be able to tell you what causes diarrhea. However, viewer, it is one of the greatest mysteries in the scientific world." - Dr. Steve Brule

Proud member of The "Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia" With Dysfunctioning Thyroid club; presently hosting a wonky GI tract, malfunctioning endocrine system, factor V Leiden thrombophilia, and morbid humour.

#10 jmw2323

jmw2323

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:57 PM

I have had what I have assumed were gas pains for years radiating up my spine from midway to the top. Sometimes i would feel it in my neck as well. 4-5 times per year, last many hours. Had my gall bladder removed in january and thought these episodes would stop. Unfortunately i now get them more often bit for a shorter duration.

#11 screeb

screeb

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:04 AM

Refered gall bladder pain occurs in the right side, but the thoracic duct of the lymphatic system is also there. It is much larger than the lymph duct on the left. I believe that the pain is lympahtic pressure that has been shown to be in a positive feedback loop with triglycerides and their packaging lipoprotein. It has been hypothesized that the former two factors cause skin sensitization, which when mechanicallly stimulated builds lymph pressure, (causing triglyceride and fat absorption). If one assumes that IBS is a pan--enteric disease, then digestion leading to fat absorption and triglyceride packaging would be affected, via upper GI problems, (delayed gastric emptying, GERD, functional dyspepsia, etc).

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here