Advertisement

Photo

Does IBS cause you to feel sick day after day?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 didiusa

didiusa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 03:34 PM

Advertisement
I'm sorry for all the recent questions but I am trying to determine what my problem is. I have felt utterly sick from whatever is going on. I wake up to a few mild gas pains, have my bout of diarrhea or loose stool (and it is only one a day) but after I get up and start my day I feel sicker and sicker. By that I mean my intestinal tract feels so sore and upset and makes me feel sick all over. I just want to curl up and die. I have no major pains just general upset intestinal tract, pain in my back today. As the day wears on it may become worse with gas and bloating. I have a very hard time relieving the gas. Anyway I am sorry to be so long but I thought IBS was bouts of cramping and episodes of diarrhea but relief came at some point. Please help me with this. I need some reassurance, noting a greasy film with the morning diarrhea. HELP! This is making me miserable and my anxiety is high wondering what this is all about.Thanks again, Diane

Advertisement

#2 DavidLA

DavidLA

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 04:36 PM

Hi Diane,-Sorry you're having to deal with this..after 20yrs of this myself, I know this is NO picnic.I haven't read your other posts, but I would assume you went the conventional route, and after havingtaken numerous tests & procedures your Dr. informed you, "you're fine" & you officially now have IBS. The only advice I can give you for this condition is number one..Have Hope that things will improve, read all you can on IBS, and Indigestion, and keep experimenting with different remedy's. For myself, I've chosen the Non-Drug Route, I would rather experiment with Aloe Vera, Probiotics, digestive enzymes, different foods, etc for relief. I believe since were the ones suffering with this 24-Hours a day, we should be the ones who choose what we put into our bodies. I can't tell you how many times I was pressured to try this drug or that drug, I felt that the Drs. were like the Girl Scouts coming to my house selling cookies, so they could win a trip to Hawaii for most sales. Keeping a log or journal can also help you,something to consider. Good Luck.!!!!

#3 ncottle

ncottle

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 04:43 PM

YES....it too makes me feel sick sometimes all day long. The last two days have been terrible. You never know if it is something you ate or what the heck makes it carry on the way it does. It is so frustrating.

#4 I_H8_IBS

I_H8_IBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 07:24 PM

I suffer from C, and this was always tough because many times the pain was alleviated upon a BM, but there was noBM in the forecast Posted Image Anyway, I have found my so-called "cure" for c in Magnessium.Gas, Pain and bloating on the other hand and spasms, I have almost totally eliminated with the peppermint oil capsules. Taking the Mag, has helped this but occasionally, especially after a bout of stress, I get stomach cramps and gas. Combined these things have worked Miracles for me. I was also taking probiotics on a daily basis, but take them a now few times a week, as they helped relieve trapped gas, but peppermint seems to keep me from getting the excess gas in the first place. .I did not have luck initially with just peppermint oil in liquid form. The one that I now have is in capsule form and it is by the company Nature's Life, the name of the produc is PeppermintZ Intestinal Aid. Some of the other tablets disintegrate in the stomach, so that it doesn't help much gas wise...The bottle says: "To help ensure maximum effectivness, these enteric coated gels pass through the stomach intact and disintegrate in the small intestine where there benefits are needed....Peppermint and Carraway oils (calm intestinal spasms and signifigantly reduce gastrointestinal discomfort. These carminitive herbs help relieve the build-up of excess intestinal gas. Also contains Lemon Balm,Chamomile,Fennel and ginger root which have all been shown to posess anti-spasmodic and carminative properties."Where I buy them there $14.00 for 60 gels. I know everything is different for everyone, so it's just a suggestion. Any one else try this particular product????Kari

#5 I_H8_IBS

I_H8_IBS

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 07:28 PM

I forgot to mention that I take them on an empty stomach. They suggest waiting at least an hour after you eat, but I take them about 45 minutes prior to eating. kari

#6 RitaLucy

RitaLucy

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 11:54 PM

Yes, Yes, and Yes! I always feel that there is something going on in my body and never quite feel good.. I always feel a bit dragged down. It is amazing how we get used to feeling and functioning this way but some days are worse than others.
"When I die, I hope it's in a meeting. The transition from life to death will be barely perceptible."

"When planning a parade -- always put the elephants last!"

#7 Dietes Vegeta

Dietes Vegeta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 11:37 AM

Hey again Didiusa Posted Image I know EXACTLY what you mean about feeling sick day after day...I've had IBS-D for...*thinking*...well..since birth actually! Almost 23 years now! I've had flare ups, on and off....Goddess bless the peaceful breaks we get from IBS where we actually forget that we have the darned thing! But when I do have my flareups, they last a while ( so far, my current flare up is going into it's 4th month! ) I have literally felt sick EVERY DAY for the last 2 months...I cannot eat anything except for pretzels, tea, and the occasional corn muffin...if it is a REALLY GOOD DAY, I can handle a half-bowl of mashed potatoes! I've lost a little over 10 lbs in the past week and a half!!It really is no picnic when it flares up! I'm assuming you've had tests done or have consulted a doctor about your symptoms? I will admit (here at least lol ) that I am the most stubborn human being on the PLANET when it comes to doctors and admitting that I need medical help, but I caved in last week and went to a GI, and am having the dreaded Colonoscopy and Endoscopy next Monday Posted Image But after 4 months of nonstop PAIN and several bouts of near-unconsciousness and dizzy spells from not being able to eat right, I'm actually anxious for the tests to be done so I can make sure I don't have anything else going on inside of me Posted Image If you have not gone to a doctor yet, make the appointment. If you have and you've gone through the routines and had the official "Congratulations....you've got IBS" speech...all I can say is to hang in there girl!If you can tolerate the taste ( I know a lot of people who find the stuff appalling ), try to drink LOTS of peppermint tea...I literally bring 2 gallons of the stuff to my job each day! Peppermint is known to have a soothing affect on the tummy. Or, and I know this sounds weird, eat one or two of those small bite-size peppermint patties! They help my stomach feel a little better...even 5 minutes of feeling "OK" is better than no minutes of feeling "OK"! *thinking if she is done with her rambling*...yeah, I think that should do it LOLHope I didn't just bore the heck out of you LOL Posted Image ~Dietes Vegeta~ Posted Image

#8 boxgirl73

boxgirl73

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 11:48 AM

Dietes-let me know how your colonoscopy goes. i have my first one next friday!!!! good luck!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here