Advertisement

Photo

Antispasms medicines and trying to conceive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PooH

PooH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 12:21 PM

Advertisement
I am currently trying to conceive, I have looked up several medicines to check to see if they are safe if I do become pregnant, all of the ones I looked up say that they are not safe(Levbid, Librax, Bentyl, Donnatal) are there any medicines for spasms in the colon that are safe to take while pregnant? I cannot stop taking my meds(Bentyl, and Donnatal) if I do, I have a bad, long lasting pain in the right of my abdomin. What do I do? We want another baby, but without my meds. I am in so much pain!

Advertisement

#2 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 02:09 PM

Hi PooH,I was in your boat a year ago. I wanted to get pregnant, but worried how I'd live without my Librax (anti-spas). The gyno told me that Librax is Class C, so shouldn't be used during pregnancy. He switched me to Bentyl, which is a Class B drug. Class B drugs can be used during pregnancy. I gave birth 7 weeks ago to a beautiful, healthy baby girl. So, I would look up the donnatol to see what class that is, but I know that Bentyl is safe.Good luck,Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

My blog: http://pesharachel.blogspot.com/

#3 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 02:09 PM

Hi PooH,I was in your boat a year ago. I wanted to get pregnant, but worried how I'd live without my Librax (anti-spas). The gyno told me that Librax is Class C, so shouldn't be used during pregnancy. He switched me to Bentyl, which is a Class B drug. Class B drugs can be used during pregnancy. I gave birth 7 weeks ago to a beautiful, healthy baby girl. So, I would look up the donnatol to see what class that is, but I know that Bentyl is safe.Good luck,Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

#4 PooH

PooH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 11:17 AM

Thank You Stace for your reply. I was wondering too, because Dr. did put me on Bentyl, and I did tell him that I was trying to conceive. But then another Dr. told me, after putting me on Donnatal, that I should not be taking any of the medicines while trying to conceive.

#5 PooH

PooH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 11:17 AM

Thank You Stace for your reply. I was wondering too, because Dr. did put me on Bentyl, and I did tell him that I was trying to conceive. But then another Dr. told me, after putting me on Donnatal, that I should not be taking any of the medicines while trying to conceive.

#6 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 12:04 PM

The doctors would prefer that pregnant women take NO drugs, esp. during 1st trimester. However, if medicine is really needed, it must be a Class B drug. Thank heavens for Bentyl. Good luck trying to conceive.Stacey

#7 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 12:04 PM

The doctors would prefer that pregnant women take NO drugs, esp. during 1st trimester. However, if medicine is really needed, it must be a Class B drug. Thank heavens for Bentyl. Good luck trying to conceive.Stacey

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here