Advertisement

Photo

Antispasms medicines and trying to conceive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PooH

PooH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 12:21 PM

Advertisement
I am currently trying to conceive, I have looked up several medicines to check to see if they are safe if I do become pregnant, all of the ones I looked up say that they are not safe(Levbid, Librax, Bentyl, Donnatal) are there any medicines for spasms in the colon that are safe to take while pregnant? I cannot stop taking my meds(Bentyl, and Donnatal) if I do, I have a bad, long lasting pain in the right of my abdomin. What do I do? We want another baby, but without my meds. I am in so much pain!

Advertisement

#2 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 02:09 PM

Hi PooH,I was in your boat a year ago. I wanted to get pregnant, but worried how I'd live without my Librax (anti-spas). The gyno told me that Librax is Class C, so shouldn't be used during pregnancy. He switched me to Bentyl, which is a Class B drug. Class B drugs can be used during pregnancy. I gave birth 7 weeks ago to a beautiful, healthy baby girl. So, I would look up the donnatol to see what class that is, but I know that Bentyl is safe.Good luck,Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

My blog: http://pesharachel.blogspot.com/

#3 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 29 December 2001 - 02:09 PM

Hi PooH,I was in your boat a year ago. I wanted to get pregnant, but worried how I'd live without my Librax (anti-spas). The gyno told me that Librax is Class C, so shouldn't be used during pregnancy. He switched me to Bentyl, which is a Class B drug. Class B drugs can be used during pregnancy. I gave birth 7 weeks ago to a beautiful, healthy baby girl. So, I would look up the donnatol to see what class that is, but I know that Bentyl is safe.Good luck,Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

#4 PooH

PooH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 11:17 AM

Thank You Stace for your reply. I was wondering too, because Dr. did put me on Bentyl, and I did tell him that I was trying to conceive. But then another Dr. told me, after putting me on Donnatal, that I should not be taking any of the medicines while trying to conceive.

#5 PooH

PooH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 11:17 AM

Thank You Stace for your reply. I was wondering too, because Dr. did put me on Bentyl, and I did tell him that I was trying to conceive. But then another Dr. told me, after putting me on Donnatal, that I should not be taking any of the medicines while trying to conceive.

#6 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 12:04 PM

The doctors would prefer that pregnant women take NO drugs, esp. during 1st trimester. However, if medicine is really needed, it must be a Class B drug. Thank heavens for Bentyl. Good luck trying to conceive.Stacey

#7 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 12:04 PM

The doctors would prefer that pregnant women take NO drugs, esp. during 1st trimester. However, if medicine is really needed, it must be a Class B drug. Thank heavens for Bentyl. Good luck trying to conceive.Stacey

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here