4 replies to this topic

#1 annieL

annieL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 March 2002 - 07:44 PM

Advertisement
I have been having problems with IBS-D for years. About a month ago I got worse after receiving some oranges and grapefruit from Florida. I was eating oranges, grapefruit and a big glass of orange juice in the morning. A book on food intolerance listed oranges as a possible problem food.I stopped eating all citrus fruit and my IBS has disappeared. I have been normal for the past three weeks. I can leave the house in the morning without worry. I hope that this isn't just a fluke. Has anyone else had problems with citrus fruits?

Advertisement

#2 stillgoing

stillgoing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 12:53 PM

I get the acid reflux so bad, when I drink a glass of O.J., it feels like I'm having a heart attack. Then, several hours later, the cramping, pain and D kick in. Any kind of citrus is a killer.

#3 MaggieMae

MaggieMae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 01:23 PM

Do you get problems when you eat other fruits? Among other things, I have been diagnosed with a fructose intolerance. Citrus fruits are high in fructose and if I eat them, I'll surely get lots of cramping and D within a couple of hours. I can eat a banana every so often, though, and not have any problems, probably because they are low in fructose. MM

#4 annieL

annieL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 March 2002 - 05:13 PM

To MMNo, other fruits don't seem to bother me. I have been eating bananas, pears, apples, grapes,tomatoes etc. for the past three weeks. I have not had any citrus fruit and I feel great. No anxiety about leaving the house in the AM. I recommend that people with IBS make an effort to find out their food intolerances. It may be just one food. I was drinking orance juice every morning and sprinting to the bathroom at least 3 times every morning. I hope that I have found my food intolerance because life has been normal for 3 weeks now.Annie L

#5 river_pool

river_pool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 06:49 PM

I seem to have many food allergies, like almost all of it. I've been noticing over the years the oranges, tomatoes, lemons, etc. bother me. I've reduced my intake dramatically and it's helped me a great deal. Then again I've reduced the amount of wheat, oats and other things too. Its all helping, but I wonder if there will eventually be anything that I can eat!Lisa

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here