1 reply to this topic

#1 newsjunkie

newsjunkie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:36 PM

Advertisement
I have not had a bowel movement in 10 days with the exception of a couple very hard and dry "pebbles" and 3 episodes of watery diarrhea on Saturday. I am thinking more and more that this may be a fecal impaction. My abdomen both above and below my navel is swollen to such an extent that I look like I am pregnant.I spoke with my GI's nurse practicioner and she directed me to take a full bottle of magnesium citrate. I did that over 2 hours and nothing has happened. I can feel it inside me and it really hurts.If the mag. citrate doesn't kick after 6 hours should I go to the ER? Or is this not quite an emergency condition and I should wait until morning? I have Mepergan for pain and Xanax for anxiety but I have resisted taking them so I don't cover up how I am really feeling. I just don't know how dangerous fecal impaction really is...What should I do???

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,802 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:19 PM

I'd call the doctor back to report that it hasn't worked so far. They may have a next step for you to do, also can give you better guidelines than anyone here as to when you need to go to the ER.If it progresses to full obstruction or causes other issues it can become critical to get care right away. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000230.htm so I would get up with the doctor again to see what time frame you should be working with.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here