35 replies to this topic

#1 Missy I

Missy I

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:37 PM

Advertisement
I wanted to see if anyone out there has experienced any of the same symptoms as me. I was diagnosed with GERD 6 years ago after having stomach pain for a few years. As long as I have taken my medicine (Prilosec for most of the 6 years), I have been alright. My doctor has switched me to other GERD meds in between, but the Prilosec seems to work best for me. Anyway, for all of these years, as long as I have taken my medicine, I have been alright. However, I had a flare up on Mother's Day this year due to what I thought was eating cucumbers on my salad. I had painful GERD, burning and pressure like I needed to burp really bad. This lasted a full 24+ hours, despite my taking my Prilosec and Maalox, and Rolaids. Since then I have had at least a few flare ups a week. I tried Aciphex for a few weeks, but it induced diarrhea, and so did Nexium. Regardless, neither one helped, so I am back to taking Prilosec. I can eat the most mundane thing-plain toast and water, and have pain all day. It really seems suddenly no medicine is working for me. Well, about a month after my first bad GERD flare up, I began experiencing my heart racing. Not skipping beats, just beating faster. Normally my heart rate is around 75-80, but it will go up to 100 (my doctor said 60-100 is normal), and has been up to around 130 or so on a few occasions. I have a blood pressure monitor, and my bp is always fine (110/70-120/80), but my heart rate is up-usually 110 or so. I know it doesn't sound like much, but after being used to my heart beating 75 or so, 110 feels like my heart is beating out of my chest. It is not due to stress-I can be watching TV and it will start. I can wake up from sleep from it. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Normally it lasts a few hours, and then I am fine. My doctor has put a 24 hour heart monitor on me, and it came back fine, and I had a treadmill test today, and the doctor said it was perfect-no blockages or anything. My heart was fine. I am convinced that these two things are related-the flare up of the GERD and the heart racing. My gastro doctor wanted to do a endoscopy (my one and only one was 6 years ago) and a flexibly sigmoidoscopy ( I also have IBS), but was afraid to do so because of them not knowing why my heart is acting berzerk. I am curious if anyone else out there has experienced anything similar, and if you ever found any kind of connection. I would appreciate any insight anyone might have.One other thing, I am noticing for some reason rice seems to make my heartburn worse. Does anyone else have this problem? I would think rice would be easy on your stomach.

Advertisement

#2 peter kay fan

peter kay fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hi, my doc thinks i have ibs but the only med that seems to work for me is a ppi, so i think its something to do with acid reflux too. However, to the point, since it all started 2/3 years ago i was also having heart palpitations - my heart beats faster, races almost, and sometimes feels irregular. Beacuse im only young i have had lots of tests, heart monitors, ecg's, tapes on for days to record the rythum and scans and x-rays. Nothing is wrong with my heart, but i was put on beta blockers to control the palpitations but now i have come off them. I really do think it has something to do with whatever is wrong with my stomach. Possibly even worsened by anxiety. It is scary when it beats out of control! It does sometimes comes on when i dont feel well, but also it can happen for no reason. Im quite sure (after tests) that there is nothing wrong with my heart and it is a symptom of ibs/acid reflux. In fact, on a few ibs leafests 'heart palpitations' are one of the syptoms described. Also, all the docs said mine were due to stress also but i dont agree with this, as you say i can have them when im watching telly and then been fine during my exams.Hope this helps

#3 Missy I

Missy I

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for sharing. I am 29, and I had to have the heart tests, too. The doctors seem to be shocked for someone my age to come in the office having heart tests. My doctor had mentioned beta blockers, and taking them as needed (when my heart started beating fast. Is this what you did? Or, did you have to take them all the time? Of course my heart was perfectly fine during the monitor and the treadmill. I joked with my husband and said that my heart will start beating fast one minute after I take the monitor off. : ) It didn't. It is very random, but seems to happen at least 3-4 times per week. Did you ever have any bad reactions to the beta blockers? I have the IBS, too. I had the constipation for years, and then had about a year of horrible "D", and have been somewhere in between since. I had read a previous post somewhere on here saying that a lot of people with GERD have the IBS, too. I really think sometimes the medicine we take for the GERD affects the rest of our stomach. I have noticed some of the PPIs seem to make me have D more, while the Prilosec (generic since it is OTC now) seems to have more of a C affect.

#4 peter kay fan

peter kay fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

I took 50mg of Metroprolol a day, which was half a tablet on the morn and half at night. This seemed to work best for me. Before that, i did first start on different tablets which did give me side effects, but i found one to suit me. They werent really bad reactions, just headaches and a few other small things. I still do get palps from time to time now (im not taking the beta blockers anymore) but i just try and forget about them and take some deep breaths, have a lie down. They seem to pass. The thing for me is not to worry about them, cos it can make them worse.

#5 Deepsigh

Deepsigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:34 AM

Lemme see. Two days ago I landed in the emergency room at 1:30 a.m. because of pressure on my chest, rapid breaathing, dizzyiness and nausea. Yup acid reflux. I am now taking Pronoix and calafate and my stomach is still burning and burping. I think the best solution is to stop talking to my aggravating son (smile).

#6 davo

davo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:52 PM

I have suffered with palpitations for years! I am now on Beta blockers and it is a lot better, although I have missed heart beats and flutters every day. Since finding the IBS web site and I found other sufferers I have learned to live with it. I think it must be to do with acid and IBS as I have had all the tests for heart and nothing was found. I have noticed if my stomach is playing up or I have eaten the wrong things I will get palpitations, my heart doesn't race it slows and misses beats, which makes my head feel funny and makes me breathless. I uses to think I was dying, now I know it will pass. Breath in for the count of 4 hold it for 4 then breathe out to the count of 4 this helps to bring the heart back to normal.

#7 JennyA

JennyA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux about four years ago and have managed it on my own for a long time. But recently it's gotten really bad and now it's accompanied by rapid heart rate. At some points my heart goes up to 140. I have been to the ER three times and every time they tell me I'm fine. I finally saw a gastroenterologist who told me that I most likely have IBS and Acid Reflux, but had no explanation for the heart racing. I am a really active person but have become absolutely frightened to run now because I don't understand why it's racing. They put me on a antidepressant for my IBS, but I'm not depressed or stressed about anything. They are convinced though that I am a freak. I am so frustrated and have begun to think that I am crazy. But thanks to finding this Website I don't feel so crazy anymore. Thank you so much for sharing. Everyday I hope that I won't have the rapid heart rate.

#8 Katt5220

Katt5220

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

Hey everyone,I just wanted to let you know that if you have reflux and heart palps it may be because of the vagus nerve that runs next to your esphogus. Google vagus nerve and read up on it, I learned a lot. I had a Dr try to tell me I was having panic attacks and this was all it was.Good Luck,Katt

#9 FrankG

FrankG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:11 PM

I had the rapid heart rate 3 years ago (lasted for 3 months). When I would swollow my heart rate would go to 190bpm for about 2 seconds and then fall back to normal. I went to the ER and they did not believe me, until they hooked me up to an EKG and saw it for themselves. They told me to see a cardiologist who did a few tests and told me my heart was fine and that he had no idea why my heart was racing. It was not until my wife went on the internet that I found others who have had this problem and all say its to do with the Vagus nerve. I was subsequently diagnosed with GERD and delayed stomach emptying disorder (Vagus Nerve Issue). The GERD most likely comes from the stomach emptying disorder. I can't tell you how many symptoms GERD and my Gastroparesis have given me. From the persistant sore throats to feelings of having a heart attack to extreme tiredness after a full nights sleep. I have had so many tests and they all come back normal. My Dr. I am sure thinks I am a nut case. He simply says I am stressed out. Who wouldn't be.

#10 snakeoil

snakeoil

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:00 AM

I am amazed that all these experts havent thought of thyroid dysfunction due to leaky gut syndrome. The vagus nerve could indeed be also effected thru this problem.When the gut wall is inflammed for any lengthy period thru I.B.S, small cracks, & fissures can appear which allow the blood stream to absorb toxins including candida, bacteria, faeces, & fermenting gases. It is not difficult to imagine how a person feels when this occurs, & it is these symptoms that really make the I.B.Ser feel so bad. Among the symptoms are nausea, headaches,double vision, C.F.S, rashes, indigestion, drowsiness palpitations, dizziness, anxiety attacks & depression.How do I know? well from personal experience unfortunately, & yes I rushed myself off to the Casualty Dept. one Sunday morning because I thought my heart was going to burst, it was beating so fast! I had the monitor strapped to me for days & they could find nothing wrong really. "Just go home & learn to relax" I was told. "try meditation" . Oh yeah, when your heart is throbbing so bad it rocks your head, how the hell can you meditate?Well the secret is one KELP tablet every morning to regulate the thyroid thru its iodinecontent. Secondly for eradicating the overall cause ,mangosteen juice which thru its anti-inflammatory phytonutrients XANTHONES may allow the gut wall to heal itself so mal-absorption no longer continues. Oh boy! does your energy level improve!

#11 Lynn

Lynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:59 PM

Hi, can you tell me where to get mangosteen juice? Thanks.

#12 luvchop

luvchop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

I just found your site. I am so glad that I'm not the only one feeling this way. I am 35 years old female, in good health.It all started in May. Went to the ER with rapid heart rate (180), chest pains, and dizzyness. They did all kinds of test. Lung scans (looking for clots), chest x-ray, blood oxy level, ect. Went to my dr the next day, got no where with him. I felt great all summer.Then in Sept went to the Drs. he put me on previcid. A few days later went to the ER again. This time the chest pain was much worse and seemed to have spread to my left arm. Same test all over again (glad I have insurance). Went back to the drs. and he acted like I shouldn't have gone to the ER. But the chest pain was so bad (heart rate was only 130 this time), it scared me. Finally saw another dr in the practice 2 weeks ago, she sent me to see a heart spec. Went on Friday, had an exam, everything seems ok. But I go next week for a stess test and heart ultra sound, she is worried about the rapid heart rate. She said it is most likely gerd. I felt like I was going crazy. The pain and discomfort is sometimes hard to explain. The scariest part is the rapid heart rate. I'm just glad I found this board. Now I don't feel alone.Thanks

#13 overitnow

overitnow

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:13 AM

I used to get the all day burning with occassional reflux. My wife would get frequent heartburn sometimes with heart attack symptoms. We have now both eliminated our GERD with a flavonoid supplement.If you are tired of meds that create new problems or stop working, this might work as well for you. E-mail me if you want to talk about it.msprague2002###yahoo.caMark
My story of beating IBS and my other chronic conditions: http://www.ibsgroup....total-wellness/

#14 coppers1

coppers1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

Great site and discussions I am 52 yrs of age and have been suffering from IBS/GERD for 10yrs. I have also had symptoms of heart attack type pains, irregular heartbeat and, more recently, getting pain and breathlessness when walking fast after big meals-a classic sign of angina, although I have been tested for this a few years ago and given the all-clear (after having an angiogram).Has anyone else experienced this problem when walking after a big meal??

#15 madge

madge

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

I sometimes get an elevated pulse, but not over 85 or so. Not sure why. What's more worrying to me is that even though I'm on Nexium, I've started getting a hard, aching pain in the center of my chest that will continue without letup for 6 to 12 hours at a time. Then it will be gone for a day or so, then back again. I tend to get a tickly, cough with this too. When I have the aching, I can't really carry on with daily activities (although I try), because it really is painful. Tylenol doesn't help much, and I can't take things like Advil because of my acid reflux. When I take Mylanta or Tums, it doesn't help this aching either. Neither does a heating pad. I had a stress test two weeks ago and my heart was fine. I also went in for an EKG yesterday when the chest aching was bad. That was normal. I had a chest x-ray also and that is fine too. Nice to know my heart and lungs are okay, but what the heck is this? The doctor gave me Vicodin to try for a week. He doesn't know what it is. (A second doctor thinks it's just inflammed rib cartilage, but I really don't think that's it.) Anyone ever have anything like this? Can this happen despite being on a PPI and also taking Mylanta and Tums? By the way, I'm also IBS-c...have had that for about 20 years. Sure could use some ideas here.

#16 questforhealing

questforhealing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

HI,I experienced almost all symptoms that everyone here speaks of...I was on meds and conventional treatments for years.As a lifelong sufferer of GERD, IBS, and other symptoms here is my truth:All of my symptoms were a common response to an underlying cause and conventional medicine only treated my symptoms which explained why I did not get better under their treatments.The Cause: delayed food sensitivities which contribute to IBS,GERD, and heart palpitations (as well as contributing to a plethura of other symptoms) along with biochemical dysfunction brought on by poor metabolism function.Please read my story at my home website if you are interested or email me for info. I beat IBS and GERD...you can too.Good luck all,
Steve

Dx'd Gerd 1990
Dx'd IBS 2003
Dx'd Sjogren's 2007

IBS cured 2007

#17 lukevega

lukevega

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

this site is an answer to my prayers. my hands feel like they are shaking just typing this message. i got the rapid heart rate about 4 years ago, and it went away before the paramedics could arrive. by they time they did, i was all back to normal. well, it happened again a week ago. both times it happened the same way. always having the heart burn, i bend over and put pressure on the vagus nerve, stand up, feel light headed, and the heart goes wild. this time i stayed more calm than the first, but it went on for 15 minutes. this time when the paramedics showed up, it was still going. they took me to the er. after the initial light headed feeling, it went away, but i felt panicky, nervous, and nauseous. they took me and said that my top node was out of wack, and they then gave me a IV with an injection of some drug that starts with a "D" that restarted my heart, and i was perfectly back to normal. i definitely think i am having some anxiety/nervousness about it happening again. i would love to know if anybody could give me some advice on techniques to use or medicine to try to get on that would help. i've cut out all carbonated beverages...mainly mountain dew...i was a "dew junky"! i would also like to talk to a doctor about what i really think is happing, gerd, the rapid heart beat, and what to do next. any advice would be great! just having this board here, has helped a ton! thanks!

#18 paul762

paul762

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:32 AM

PLEASE HELP! Had IBS-D for about 7 years, then out of the blue I suffered extreme appendix type pain for 12 weeks, then suddenly and literally overnight my IBS-D turned into IBS-C ?!?!? and now for the last 3 months I have IBS-C and stomach muscles that seem to keep automatically pulling inwards, also have a very hot and red forehead, dizzyness, bloodshot eyes, and what seems like constant fast 100-130+ bpm heart rate daily?!?!?All tests come back normal, GP's and cardiologist say its all stress/anxiety related, but im not and/or dont feel anxious or stressed! What can this all be??? PLEASE HELP!

#19 Midwest777

Midwest777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:36 PM

I visited my doctor last week due to my second episode of acid reflux in the past two months. Very painful, tough to sleep at night, etc. Interestingly, my doctor asked me if I experienced rapid heart rate for the very reasons mentioned here. He mentioned the Vagus nerve and the link between GERD and rapid heart rate and/or palpitations. My GERD has cleared up a couple of days ago, but the rapid heart rate is hanging around. As I type, I'm about 150+ bpm. This is very frustrating, but based on what I am reading, it seems as if I should ask about beta blockers. Is it worth trying to combat these symptoms, or gut it out?I will visit the doc again and post my results. Very frustrating!

#20 paul762

paul762

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Well its now almost July, all pain has subsided, however I still have the fast heart beat(pretty much my only symptom now except for the acid), so this has lasted since Dec 08. I have been taking 40mg daily of propranolol , its supposed to be 120mg but I cant tolerate the amount and 40mg has kept my pulse around 80 bpm unless i move and then it starts going nuts again. Im currently on waiting list for cognitive behavioural therapy, but I fail to see how "subconcious anxiety" can last 24/7 for 7 months and cause this almost constant fast or fast/normal heart beats. Anyway I agreed to counselling and continuation of propranolol and will report back, hopefully with better news.Good luck all.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here