#1 joolie

joolie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

Advertisement
i was wondering if me eating cottage cheese would affect my ibs, also what about normal cheese. I have stopped pigging out on crappy stuff, choc, nuts, crisps etc and i am now having oatcakes with some low fat cottage cheese, but im hoping it will agree with my ibs.Any advie would be as ever appreciated. Posted Image Posted Image
joolie :)

Advertisement

#2 joolie

joolie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:43 PM

*** typo error i meant advice Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,890 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:56 PM

If you do not tolerate the lactose in milk cottage cheese may bother you (if enough quantity).Aged hard cheeses have very little lactose as the bacteria that makes it cheese eats it. But fresh/soft cheese like cottage cheese hasn't been through the long bacteria eating lactose process.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#4 NauseaQueen*

NauseaQueen*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:59 PM

Joolie,I personally found out right off that cottage cheese was an absolute Posted Image for me. So is milk, ice cream, powdered milk, yogurt etc. I can however do regular cheese but for some reason not fat free cheese Posted ImageI do make "healthy muffins", which are very good by they way, with cottage cheese and as long as I only eat one serving a day I do ok, anymore, and I bloat up like a hot air balloon Posted Image I love cottage cheese to so I'm really bummed I can't eat it Posted Image

#5 joolie

joolie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

thanks for the replies, ill try it anyway and see how i get on with it, fingers crossed it does not disagree with me Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Guest_SarahB_*

Guest_SarahB_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:55 AM

You could always just avoid cow's cheese. I had to cut it out of my diet and started to have just goats cheese which didnt have an effect on me, so maybe you might find some luck with that ! If like me you love cheese then try the goats cheese! although Feta cheese and some goats cheese's r very salty (which I hate) but some r very tasty Posted Image

#7 Padrona

Padrona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:26 AM

I have found exactly the opposite. Cottage cheese and yogurt are really the only two foods that are 100% SAFE for me! When all else is going to hell, I can eat a bowl of cottage cheese and it sooths all the upset. I guess everyone is different. For 7 full days I lived on yogurt and cottage cheese with water and the ocassional glass of milk. I could not handle veggies, grains, fruits, or anything processed.My doc said that IBS affects everyone differently. Some people are safe eating whole grains, but they upset me. Some people cannot tolerate any lactose but I could.My doc also told me that hard cheeses were a huge NO NO because of the aging process. The cheese undergoes chemical changes during the aging that severely upsets IBS. Well, he was right in my case. Any kind of hard aged cheese would tear me up. But fresh milk products were just fine.I guess it all is trial and error until you figure out your own body Posted Image

#8 joolie

joolie

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:27 PM

thankyou both for the advice much appreciated Posted Image Posted Image

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here