Advertisement

Photo

Anyone had problems with the antibiotic Cephalexin (brand name: Keflex)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 lilymaid

lilymaid

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 03:23 AM

Advertisement
I actually have an infection in my nose. (Not a sinus infection... an infection in the nares!!) Can you believe it? Anyway, I told the doc I had IBS and my stomach was pretty sensitive. She prescribed Cephalexin. Took the first one about two hours ago and feel pretty okay. Anyone had probs with it, making IBS act up? Any "women's problems"??Thanks! Lilymaid

Advertisement

#2 lou026

lou026

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 11:40 AM

I was on Keflex about a month ago because I had a sinus-throat infection and I didn't do well at all on it. I had D the whole time I was on it and of course they tell you to take ALL of the medication!! I usually have D anyway but this was every single day and it just didn't agree with me at all. I have taken CIPRO with great results and while I was on it my D actually went away for a time.

#3 lou026

lou026

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 September 2001 - 11:40 AM

I was on Keflex about a month ago because I had a sinus-throat infection and I didn't do well at all on it. I had D the whole time I was on it and of course they tell you to take ALL of the medication!! I usually have D anyway but this was every single day and it just didn't agree with me at all. I have taken CIPRO with great results and while I was on it my D actually went away for a time.

#4 Guest_Ladienyte_*

Guest_Ladienyte_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2001 - 08:00 PM

Ohhh Keflex made me SO sick!!! I couldn't keep taking it, it was terrible. Gave me awful D! The only antibiotics I can successfully take are Cipro and Ceftin! That's it .. most others make me feel horrible!Just remember, everyone is different!Good luck!! Kirstin, IBS-D------------------~If I'm gonna go down, I'm gonna do it with style ... and you won't see me surrender~

#5 Guest_Ladienyte_*

Guest_Ladienyte_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2001 - 08:00 PM

Ohhh Keflex made me SO sick!!! I couldn't keep taking it, it was terrible. Gave me awful D! The only antibiotics I can successfully take are Cipro and Ceftin! That's it .. most others make me feel horrible!Just remember, everyone is different!Good luck!! Kirstin, IBS-D------------------~If I'm gonna go down, I'm gonna do it with style ... and you won't see me surrender~

#6 srhackett

srhackett

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 11:58 AM

I was given cephlax for a breast infection when I was breast feeding my son - I broke out from head to toe in a rash - so not only did my boobs ache terribly - I felt misreable. I wasn't IBS aware at the time so I cannot comment on what it did to my GI tract

#7 srhackett

srhackett

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 11:58 AM

I was given cephlax for a breast infection when I was breast feeding my son - I broke out from head to toe in a rash - so not only did my boobs ache terribly - I felt misreable. I wasn't IBS aware at the time so I cannot comment on what it did to my GI tract

#8 britta

britta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 01:39 PM

I have yet to find any antibiotic that doesn't send my GI tract into an uncontrollable pit of despair. I have been antibiotic free now for almost 2 years, and so far so good. I am lucky to have a doctor who works with me to find alternatives though.
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane. J. Buffett

#9 britta

britta

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 01:39 PM

I have yet to find any antibiotic that doesn't send my GI tract into an uncontrollable pit of despair. I have been antibiotic free now for almost 2 years, and so far so good. I am lucky to have a doctor who works with me to find alternatives though.
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane. J. Buffett

#10 Phyllis McDonnell

Phyllis McDonnell

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 03:34 PM

It's one of the very few antibiotics I can take. I had to take it for 2 weeks in the summer for a kidney infection, and it didn't even give me mild nausea. I have to make sure I don't take it on an empty stomach. I also drink lots of fluids with any antibiotic to make sure it's flushed through my system efficiently.I have a friend who is pan-allergic and has IBS, and it's the only antibiotic she can take.However, we're all individuals, and it's better to proceed with caution. Just don't go looking for side-effects: if you're anxious like me that will usually produce them!Hope you feel better soon.------------------Phyllis[This message has been edited by Phyllis McDonnell (edited 09-22-2001).]
Phyllis

#11 Phyllis McDonnell

Phyllis McDonnell

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 03:34 PM

It's one of the very few antibiotics I can take. I had to take it for 2 weeks in the summer for a kidney infection, and it didn't even give me mild nausea. I have to make sure I don't take it on an empty stomach. I also drink lots of fluids with any antibiotic to make sure it's flushed through my system efficiently.I have a friend who is pan-allergic and has IBS, and it's the only antibiotic she can take.However, we're all individuals, and it's better to proceed with caution. Just don't go looking for side-effects: if you're anxious like me that will usually produce them!Hope you feel better soon.------------------Phyllis[This message has been edited by Phyllis McDonnell (edited 09-22-2001).]
Phyllis

#12 lilymaid

lilymaid

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!Ladi and Phyllis-- thanks also for the anti-anxiety reminders (Ladi saying to remember that everyone is different and Phyllis saying not to look for side effects)... I needed that! Because my mind "what-ifs" itself until I DO feel sick!So far, so good. I've taken it with a little bit of food, and also on an empty stomach (in middle of night and first thing in the morning)... so far... nothing. (Six doses total.) It was hard to tell at first, because yesterday I was doing a ton of stuff and then my head felt terrible... lightheaded and yucky. But I made a guess and was right... it was because my period was going to start. It was the really distinctive yuckyhead that I get.I haven't had nausea, etc., and no D although I didn't go to the bathroom yesterday or today. Sometimes, due to changes or schedules, my intestines go into reverse and decide no movement is better than any. Hmm.Anyway, I'm glad that the medicine is in me (at the moment) because the doc told me that the infection in my nose needed to be stopped because it could go into my brain and give me meningitis! I'm like, "Okay, so when should I start that medication?" (I had called the doc just to double-check that this was the right prescription, in the right amount, etc., because I had my doubts.)I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks! Regards, Lilymaid

#13 lilymaid

lilymaid

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!Ladi and Phyllis-- thanks also for the anti-anxiety reminders (Ladi saying to remember that everyone is different and Phyllis saying not to look for side effects)... I needed that! Because my mind "what-ifs" itself until I DO feel sick!So far, so good. I've taken it with a little bit of food, and also on an empty stomach (in middle of night and first thing in the morning)... so far... nothing. (Six doses total.) It was hard to tell at first, because yesterday I was doing a ton of stuff and then my head felt terrible... lightheaded and yucky. But I made a guess and was right... it was because my period was going to start. It was the really distinctive yuckyhead that I get.I haven't had nausea, etc., and no D although I didn't go to the bathroom yesterday or today. Sometimes, due to changes or schedules, my intestines go into reverse and decide no movement is better than any. Hmm.Anyway, I'm glad that the medicine is in me (at the moment) because the doc told me that the infection in my nose needed to be stopped because it could go into my brain and give me meningitis! I'm like, "Okay, so when should I start that medication?" (I had called the doc just to double-check that this was the right prescription, in the right amount, etc., because I had my doubts.)I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks! Regards, Lilymaid

#14 CaseyL

CaseyL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 09:16 PM

Lilymaid -I took Keflex last summer for cellulitis in my arm. Believe it or not, I never felt better (since I was diagnosed with IBS) than when I was on it. I ate yogurt everyday that I took it and I was able to eat anything I wanted for the first time in years. I actually stayed better (from an IBS point of view) for about 2 months after stopping Keflex. I told my dr about this and all he said was "hmmm, how about that". I don't think he was even paying attention to what I said. Anyway, it did something to me because I symptom-free from about the 2nd or 3rd day of taking it and stayed that way for over 2 months after stopping. Good luck. Casey

#15 CaseyL

CaseyL

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 09:16 PM

Lilymaid -I took Keflex last summer for cellulitis in my arm. Believe it or not, I never felt better (since I was diagnosed with IBS) than when I was on it. I ate yogurt everyday that I took it and I was able to eat anything I wanted for the first time in years. I actually stayed better (from an IBS point of view) for about 2 months after stopping Keflex. I told my dr about this and all he said was "hmmm, how about that". I don't think he was even paying attention to what I said. Anyway, it did something to me because I symptom-free from about the 2nd or 3rd day of taking it and stayed that way for over 2 months after stopping. Good luck. Casey

#16 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 09:47 PM

Good luck, lilymaid! I believe I'm supposed to take that same antibiotic in 10 days, when I have outpatient exploratory surgery, so I was particularly interested in this thread. I've had so many antibiotics in the past year+, and I don't do well on any of them. I hope you fare well!
"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

#17 HipJan

HipJan

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2001 - 09:47 PM

Good luck, lilymaid! I believe I'm supposed to take that same antibiotic in 10 days, when I have outpatient exploratory surgery, so I was particularly interested in this thread. I've had so many antibiotics in the past year+, and I don't do well on any of them. I hope you fare well!
"Cast your bread upon the waters..."

#18 Starry Night

Starry Night

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 01:32 AM

I took Keflex a lot when I was in 3rd and 4th grade, for MANY strep throat infections...that was my dr at the time's antibiotic of choice. I don't remember having any problems with it. That was pre-IBS, of course, but it was also after I found out that erythromycin SEVERELY upsets my stomach. Gooof luck! (Kick that infection right outta Dodge!)

#19 Starry Night

Starry Night

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 September 2001 - 01:32 AM

I took Keflex a lot when I was in 3rd and 4th grade, for MANY strep throat infections...that was my dr at the time's antibiotic of choice. I don't remember having any problems with it. That was pre-IBS, of course, but it was also after I found out that erythromycin SEVERELY upsets my stomach. Gooof luck! (Kick that infection right outta Dodge!)

#20 Guest_ono1_*

Guest_ono1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2001 - 06:25 AM

Took Keflex about a month or so ago for a bad sinus infection. I tolerated it extremely well, no nausea or diarrhea, which is unusual for me. I understand it is a good antibiotic, not too many (really) bad side effects.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here