Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

White rice and constipation?

22K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  flux 
#1 ·
We eat white rice on a daily basis does white rice cause constipation I have IBS-C

#2 ·
Davis, a naturopath told me once white rice is constipating. Then other things I've read indicate rice is v. well tolerated by the gut. However, the Food Allergy book I read - can't remember name - check posts here in this BB - said that leftover rice deteriorates v. quickly and forms some kind of bacteria on the shell within 2 days after cooking, even if refridgerated and advised eating it asap. So maybe the bacteria could cause the constipation???? Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Davis, a naturopath told me once white rice is constipating. Then other things I've read indicate rice is v. well tolerated by the gut. However, the Food Allergy book I read - can't remember name - check posts here in this BB - said that leftover rice deteriorates v. quickly and forms some kind of bacteria on the shell within 2 days after cooking, even if refridgerated and advised eating it asap. So maybe the bacteria could cause the constipation???? Hope this helps.

#6 ·
No single food can directly cause constipation! Only a LACK of fiber or fibrous foods can.If a person fills up on low-fiber foods like rice, they may tend to consume less high-fiber foods. It's just the lack of fiber, not the rice, that's causing the problem.Unlike cramping or D, constipation is not "triggered." If a person has C, he or she developed it over several days. It's the whole diet over several days that is constipating, NOT a single food.

#7 ·
No single food can directly cause constipation! Only a LACK of fiber or fibrous foods can.If a person fills up on low-fiber foods like rice, they may tend to consume less high-fiber foods. It's just the lack of fiber, not the rice, that's causing the problem.Unlike cramping or D, constipation is not "triggered." If a person has C, he or she developed it over several days. It's the whole diet over several days that is constipating, NOT a single food.

#8 ·
quote:No single food can directly cause constipation! Only a LACK of fiber or fibrous foods can.
This is correct.

#9 ·
quote:No single food can directly cause constipation! Only a LACK of fiber or fibrous foods can.
This is correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.