10 replies to this topic

#1 jazzynala

jazzynala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 02:27 PM

Advertisement
You know, I have often wondered if any celebrities suffer from this condition as well and how they handle it. I watched the MTV VMA's the other night and damn near had a IBS attack just thinking about how I would react if I were in that situation. And that venue is just one example of the travel and appearances that these people make. Just some food for thought I guess. Has anyone heard of any major celeb's with IBS?

Advertisement

#2 kac123

kac123

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 03:02 PM

Janene Garafalo (she's a comedian and has been in lots of movies - like "The truth about cats and dogs") and Jimmy Kimmel (from The Man Show) are two that i know about it - and they actually discussed it on the air. There's also a musician....maybe one of the guys from Pearl Jam....

#3 kac123

kac123

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 03:03 PM

Ooops - my mistake - the guy from pearl jam has Crohn's not IBS."Pearl Jam guitarist Mike McCready announced today that he is suffering from Crohn's disease. He admitted he's suffered from the debilitating stomach ailment for the past 15 years, and decided to do so after witnessing the strength of a young teenager who'd suffered through 6 surgeries and still had a long way to go. During his speech, the artist related a particularly embarrassing incident to demonstrate how Crohn's can strike at any time. "Playing onstage, I'm always aware of where the bathrooms are," he admits. "When Crohn's hits, I have to run, or it won't be pretty. It happened when we opened up for the Rolling Stones in 1997 in Oakland . "It was our first show with them," McCready continues. "Five minutes before we went on, I went up to (Pearl Jam frontman) Eddie (Vedder) and I said, 'Look man, can we play 'Sometimes'? -- which is a slower song that I'm not really on. I was in pain. I went running offstage looking for a bathroom, and there wasn't one. Then, all of a sudden, there was one. It was a honeybucket. I heard my band play that song from inside a portable toilet!"

#4 Bada Shanren

Bada Shanren

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 03:05 PM

the odds are that one out of ten or so has IBS?Bada
I am a licensed clinical psychologist so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If there's a problem I am licensed in the State of Tennessee.

I am also a poet and I suffer from IBS so sometimes my opinions come from there.
My opinions should be seen as no more correct than any other person's opinions who has IBS, like you.

#5 anonymoose

anonymoose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 04:38 PM

this is funny, cuz i was thinking about posting a thread like this, but about celebrities that i think have the "leaky gas". from what i can see in their movements, and peoples' reactions(ie facial expressions), these are the people:Snoop DoggR Lee Earney(HIstory channel's mail call)Gary Buseydamn thats all i can think of right now. anyone else notice any?

#6 Ty

Ty

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 06:58 PM

Camille Grammar (the wife of Kelsey Grammar from "Frasier") has IBS-C. She briefly went public with it, but haven't heard from her in a while. She even posted to this BB.More recently, Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman) has come out in support of her Mom, who has IBS.
Ty
*Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.*
-Robert A. Heinlein

#7 Robbi

Robbi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 07:01 PM

I read a few years back on this board that Jenny Mcarthny (sp?) from an MTV dating show has it. Shw apparently wrote about it in her book she published a few years back. She claims to have diarhea every morning. Also...Kramer's 'real-life' wife. She has it too. She gets unrelenting stomach spasms.

#8 WindyCityRich

WindyCityRich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 08:33 PM

Herve Villajes, the guy who played "Tatoo" on Fantasy Island had IBS. He actually committed suicide a few years after the show ended. In the news article that reported his suicide, they made a point of mentioning that he was a long-time sufferer with IBS. Don't know if they were implying that was a contributing factor.

#9 SteveE

SteveE

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:55 PM

I think the Nirvanna artist Kurt Cobain who committed suicide also had IBS, but it's purely a guess on my part that recreational drugs may have contributed to his fate.Those who take such drastic steps are probably looking to demonstrate control over their lives, their IBS, whatever. But I subscribe to the Angry Beavers philosophy "Are we ever really in control?" Ok, so they didn't coin anything new there, but just thinking about the Angry Beavers makes me smile, so I guess humor is my way of demonstrating control.Which reminds me, if animated characters count as celebrities, Beavis (of Beavis and Butthead fame) clearly has IBS as demonstrated in their feature film when he's talking to the old lady on the plane.Beavis: "I poop too much."old lady: "Maybe you're lactose intolerant."Beavis: "Nope. I just poop too much." Posted Image

#10 Ian

Ian

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:47 PM

For those in tune with British humour, Kenneth Williams (star of many a 'Carry On' film) would make a big thing of the fact that he suffered from IBS on chat shows and I was recently reading article on Nigel Planer (Neil in the 'Young Ones') who was quite open about the fact that he has occasional symptoms - he also said that a lot of performing/theatrical people experience IBS.Ian

#11 jazzynala

jazzynala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:46 AM

I want to bump this one up. I just wondered because my boyfriend and his group recently released a new CD and it seems to be going quite well for him, so I am concerned about my IBS whereas we will probably start having to travel and such, and their popularity seems to be gaining. I don't want to take anything away from his dream, but I don't want to be sitting at the MTV VMA's and have to run out in front of all of those people!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here