289 replies to this topic

#1 wornout

wornout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:56 AM

Advertisement
I just ordered this probiotic--the one that's being widely discussed in the "IBS News and Research" section, and is being reported as successful in the GI conference in Hawaii this week.I have not yet received it; i ordered it here: http://www.bifantis.com/find.shtmHas anyone tried it? I'd like to get some feedback.Moderator's note: Visit the website http://www.aligngi.com for more information about this product.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,889 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:07 AM

Haven't tried it yet, but last time I saw Dr. Drossman we talked about it and it sounded like there was reason to believe it might be a good product for some people.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 Funny Gutz

Funny Gutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:55 AM

Excellent find wornout. I was going to ask my GI where I could find a trusted source for the newly investigated probiotics, and behold my beloved (and behated) maker of Asacol has found a new way to get money out of my pocket. Ah the joys of a love-hate relationship.Please keep us informed as to your progress, and any impressions about the product. I certainly am very interested in your evaluation.

#4 Funny Gutz

Funny Gutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

Here's the FDA docket of filings by Proctor & Gamble for the probiotic:FDA: P&G Dietary Ingredient Bifantis™ DocketIt's only been available for 4 months or so. Everything seems legit, so I'm going to order it too and see how it goes.

#5 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 04 November 2005 - 06:43 PM

You might want to read this follow-up news article about this:http://www.ibsgroup....showtopic=55022Jeff

#6 Funny Gutz

Funny Gutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:24 AM

Thanks Jeff! I've been keeping an eye on your posts at the IBD News section for 35624:Bifidobacterium infantis 35624News certainly seems to be coming fast about this probiotic, even if some of the buzz is sponsored by the manufacturer. Posted ImageThe language of the "MedPage Today Action Point" strikes me as odd: "...it is not approved by the FDA and the clinical trials to establish its efficacy for IBS are ongoing." Does that imply that if efficacy for IBS is established this probiotic may be turned into a "drug" regulated by the FDA, instead of an "ingredient" available OTC?

#7 Jeffrey Roberts

Jeffrey Roberts

Member #1 Founder

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

• IBS Penpal

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:25 AM

The FDA has a category called "Medical Food". I'm not sure, but believe the classification of a medical food is tied to a condition. I think that is what was implied in that article.Jeff

#8 hanna

hanna

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wornout:I just ordered this probiotic--the one that's being widely discussed in the "IBS News and Research" section, and is being reported as successful in the GI conference in Hawaii this week.I have not yet received it; i ordered it here:http://www.bifantis.com/find.shtmlHas anyone tried it? I'd like to get some feedback.
Wornout did you receive this product and have you tried it yet? Please post your results, I am curious to find out if this works and also interested in ordering it.

#9 Funny Gutz

Funny Gutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the reply Jeff!I am still waiting for my shipment.I actually like the idea of waiting for the product, because probiotics are perishable. I hope that they ship it out as soon as they have a new batch ready. I plan to store it in the fridge, in case that helps any. I always wonder if probiotics at drug stores are less effective for the time they've been on the shelf.

#10 Catalina

Catalina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:24 PM

Has anyone heard if there are any problems with taking this product when you are also taking some prescription drugs?

#11 wornout

wornout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

I still don't have it yet. I ordered it on the first, or maybe Oct. 31. I got a "we just shipped your order" message on the ninth. On the 10th, my credit card was charged. I guess it should be here any day.I'll update on my condition when i get it. I don't have my hopes up, since i had my hopes up for Cipro and then for Rifaximin, which both did nothing for me. Also, Jeff posted an update on the Bifantis study that suggested that straining and incresed alcohol intake are significant indicators of treatment failure. I don't know exactly what that means, but I like to drink.

#12 Funny Gutz

Funny Gutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:10 PM

I ordered on the 3rd, and got a order shipped notice on the 10th. Nothing in the mail today for Veteran's Day.I'm on the exact opposite side of the indicators. I've never drank a day in my life, and D flys out of my butt on it's own propelled by colon spasms. Posted Image The only straining is from trying to keep it in. Posted ImageI assume that the study asked the participants to describe their condition on a standardized questionaire before the therapy began. After the study was over they go back and see if there was anything in common between those that it helped, and those that it didn't, and these wierd things were the most notable differences that were similar to the groups.Catalina, there should be no unusual problems between the ingredients in this product and prescription medication. This is just freeze dried bacteria in a typical colored medicine capsule with the usual fillers. The stated ingredients aren't anything unsual that you wouldn't find in other medication and considered by the FDA to be "neutral":Bifidobacterium infantis 35624microcystalline cellulosehydroxypropylmethylcellulose capsule USP grademagnesium stearatesugarsodium caseinatesodium citrate dihydratepropyl gallateFD&C blue #2Contains milk and soy ingredients.Lactose free.I'll keep this tread updated too, so hopefully between the two of us we can have a complementary set of observations.I also don't have high hopes for this as a micracle cure. In fact, I seriously doubt just this one thing could make a huge difference. But I do think it is a part of a broad improvement in my intestinal health.

#13 NoGo/GoGo

NoGo/GoGo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:15 PM

Funny Gutz and Wornout,Hi! I also feel like both of your screen names rolled into one. I'm excited by the reports, but also trying to be realistic about my expectations for this probiotic. I would be overjoyed if things just improved!BTW, Funny G, it says on the Align website to store this at room temperature. Dave

#14 wornout

wornout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:14 PM

I got it today--fourteen days after i ordered it. I'll post again in a week or so, describing my symptoms. If there are any outstanding symptoms, i'll post earlier.

#15 Funny Gutz

Funny Gutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for catching that storage info NoGo/GoGo!

#16 CinNJ

CinNJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

Mine came today too - hope they work. My first impression is that they keep falling out so I have to sit on my side until they are absorbed. JUST KIDDING!

#17 Funny Gutz

Funny Gutz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:40 PM

Posted ImageEvery time I eat something I say "I should complain to the grocery store. I paid good money for this food and it won't stay inside me!"That joke also works for people with pets. "I paid good money for this dog food and it just ends up in a pile on my backyard." Posted Image

#18 DireWeeYah

DireWeeYah

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

I just received my two "bottles" today. They got here quicker then the online store said it would. Here are some pictures of the pretty but wasteful packaging. Comes with a guide and a day by day progress tracker (diary/calendar).-John
John the Vegas Realtor
I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv.

#19 DireWeeYah

DireWeeYah

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

John the Vegas Realtor
I'm not a doctor but I play one on tv.

#20 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

First impression? Posted Image
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here