#1 MartyG

MartyG

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 04:18 PM

Advertisement
Does anyone know which drugs add to the relaxation of the sphincter muscle (hopefully this is the correct one, if not you know what I mean) regarding hiatal hernia.I know that bentyl and lomotil. Does anyone know if ativan has any effect.Any feedback would be appreciated.Thanks.Marty

Advertisement

#2 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 04:40 PM

Hi Marty."This can be due to a weak sphincter muscle, to too-frequent spontaneous relaxation of the sphincter, or to hiatal hernia. Hiatal hernia means that the stomach pulls up into the chest above the sheet of muscle that separates the abdomen from the chest this muscle sheet is called the diaphragm. A hiatal hernia weakens the sphincter. " http://www.med.unc.edu/wrkunits/2depts/med...c/esophagus.htm This page maybe of some help for you, http://www.mindspring.com/~videosur/hiaheind.html
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#3 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,853 posts

Posted 13 June 2003 - 05:19 PM

One commonly used herb for IBS spasms--peppermint--can relax the stomach sphinter and make acid reflux worse. In people with heartburn/GERD type problems it should be used very cautiously if at all.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here