#1 volatile

volatile

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:12 PM

Advertisement
I am puzzled at how when I drink water, I get more bloated.The reason I drink water is because I read that having a lot of water, gradually, was good for IBS.I have been drinking filtered cold water, and yet when I drink, I notice I get increased bloating instantly.Why, and what I am supposed to do?I need to drink water, am I supposed to avoid it?I thought filtered tap water was good for IBS, do I need to have a different kind of water?Has anybody had this? When I exercise, I can't skip having water, so how do I solve this matter? Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Fairy

Fairy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

drinking cold water from the fridge is not good for the tummy. try drinking room temperature water, in moderation. Don't drink too much in one go that won't help either.

#3 from_india

from_india

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 03:55 PM

Link [/b]What is Edema?? Edema (BE: oedema, formerly known as dropsy) is swelling of any organ or tissue due to accumulation of excess fluid. Edema has many root causes, but its common mechanism is accumulation of fluid into the tissues. Flatulence

#4 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

quote:
I am puzzled at how when I drink water, I get more bloated
Everyone who consumes a sufficient amount of water gets bloated in this fashion. That's natural and normal.
quote:
What is Edema?? Edema (BE: oedema, formerly known as dropsy) is swelling of any organ or tissue due to accumulation of excess fluid. Edema has many root causes, but its common mechanism is accumulation of fluid into the tissues.
Edema has nothing to do with this topic.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#5 kymba

kymba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:04 PM

I cant even tell the difference between bloat and not bloat, call me silly. What eles can cause it? I know salt can add..KIm

#6 from_india

from_india

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:27 PM

Hi welcome. Bloating have a significant meaning. Generally when you eat you must have noticed your abdomen is bloated , for a normal person. But that does notindicate that u are suffering from bloating. For bloating --- the medical term as it designate as an GI problem-- you must suffer from suffocation and pressure inside the abdomen. Generally deep breating ( and not inhsaling air through mouth), dring water slowly in small sips and doing some excercise or walking will lessen the problem. You should also avoid overeating. bloating can also occur for bacteria overreacting with undigested food.

#7 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:51 PM

quote:
For bloating --- the medical term as it designate as an GI problem-- you must suffer from suffocation and pressure inside the abdomen.
There is a distinction between functional bloating and distension. I think volatile is describing distension and not bloating. True?
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#8 volatile

volatile

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:28 AM

What I am saying is, I notice when I drink water, sometimes, especially at my office, I get an instantly expanded belly and I can even feel irritation.I have been drinking cold filtered, in one of the water pitchers, water as well as room temperature water, it does not seem to matter.I would like to know what I should do, I need to drink water, but I can not stand getting bloated, and this happens within the first few sips.It is not as if I drink a ton of water at once, I drink slowly and feel like this.Is there any explanation or anything I can do to stop this problem?Do I need to drink bottled water only?

#9 Screamer

Screamer

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 07:38 PM

Have you tried drinking herbal tea as opposed to water while at work then drinking the warm water once you get home? I find a hot (not boiling) cup of herbal tea doesn't give me the same problems that water on it's own does. And there are heaps of varities out there other than peppermint or fennel.
"Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends."
--George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Peaceful Prairie
Please feed an animal, click here
Go Veg!
My Blog
Amy-IBS-A-Sigh, oh well, they say variety is the spice of life :P

#10 volatile

volatile

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 10:40 PM

Is there any explanation as to why water of all things makes me bloated?I am getting peeved at how everytime I drink, I get bloated.This is absurd, I NEED TO DRINK WATER, I CAN NOT BEAR TO HAVE IT WHERE EACH TIME I AM THIRSTY I HAVE FEAR A BAD BLOATING IS COMING.Now, why is the happening, and what is practical solution, I need to drink water, this is stupid.

#11 Healthwise

Healthwise

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:14 AM

Maybe you could have an IV to replenish your body with water, without having to drink it. It might be a bit of a problem at a dance club though unless you put the thing on wheels.Sorry to be so flippant, since I know bloating is awful, but no one seems to have magical answers for you. Even the books on IBS sort of shrug their shoulders when they mention bloating. I guess if I had a symptom that seemed to occur no matter what I did, then I'd just enjoy life as much as possible and "resist not evil". In other words, I'd be eating banana cream pies, drinking nice cool white wines, rich Italian food, etc. The reason I have a very dull diet of chicken and rice and pasta is because it seems to stabilize my system. If none of this helped, I'd probably be out there at PIZZA PIG restaurant having something acidic and decadent that would lead to an early death.P.S. Life is often stupid. Learn this while you are young and you will save yourself a lot of frustration (part of the "resist not evil" clue above).

#12 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:49 AM

quote:
Is there any explanation as to why water of all things makes me bloated?
If this is reliably reproducible, you should ask your doctor about having a fluoroscope done while you are drinking water. It may give some hint as to what's going on.
quote:
I NEED TO DRINK WATER
Nobody has to drink water per se.If I understand correctly, only water causes this not any other liquid. True? (Of course, most every liquid contains water, which make that situation puzzling.)

#13 twsts

twsts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Did you find a good solution?  I find when I get bloated easily that if I take soluble fiber for a couple days or so that I feel much better and don't notice it any more.

#14 BQ

BQ

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,203 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I don't know but I think this person's issue may have been drinking *cold* water.  I notice I can get pretty severe and sudden ab pain when I drink really cold water.

(You may not hear from the Original Poster as this thread is going on 8 years old.)

Please remember this is a group of folks seeking support on how to live with and manage IBS. THESE ARE ONLY MY OWN THOUGHTS. IF YOU WANT AN EXPERT OPINION, ASK A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

#15 SteveInAustin

SteveInAustin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Drinking or eating anything will trigger muscle contractions in the intestines and stomach. It's like a switch that gets turned on in the stomach (and perhaps just all by the brain itself). The stomach sends a signal to the brain when there's more stuff in the stomach. The brain in turn sends signals to begin bowel movement and various secretions in the intestines and stomach. What you're likely experiencing is this process, and the bloating may be due to the resulting increase in gas from bacteria that begin to multiply when they shift around and get exposed to various bodily fluids. Or it's due to the electrical activity (spasms) produced by the nervous system during this process.

That's what I suspect anyway.

- Steve

#16 nigol

nigol

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

bravo on reviving a decade old thread.

#17 SteveInAustin

SteveInAustin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Oh hey! :)

#18 MushroomFarmer

MushroomFarmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi this is my first post and I plan to make a new post around this topic.  My observation is that IBS, etc sufferers are adding to many fluids to their diets in the forms of teas, sodas, or just plain water.  My good theory (as is probably already suspect) is that gut disorders have a microbiological foundation of bacteria, yeasts, and protozoa.  Most of which little is known about because the species cannot be cultivated on any lab media and dishes.  I have experience when it comes to observing how all this flora competes and grows as it is essential in my line of work (running a mushroom farm).

Compost/hay that gets too wet or is too wet at harvest will heat up with microbes to the point of catching fire.  A wooden log that sits in warm water will rot away quickly.  Oversaturation of water creates extreme microbial action, and this excess action is what tears at our guts and causes progressively worse microbial environments that eventually favor the bacterias that cause cysts/chrone's/etc.  Look for my new post on this topic.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here