3 replies to this topic

#1 B S

B S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

Advertisement
Sickly; abdominal discomfort/pain with flu-like symptoms.Can these symptoms be caused by irritable bowel syndrome?I see my dr regularly and have consulted her, without resolution, when these symptoms cause me to get sick. Often begins with loud intestinal and/or stomach rumblings, frequent belching and nausea. Then come the abdominal pains, bloating, slowing of stool regularity and getting SICK. This means I feel like I have a bad flu, but no URI symptoms. Ache all over, very fatigued, can't stay awake, sometimes joint pain. Sometimes have a metallic taste in my mouth.Have had endoscopy. Result: hiatal hernia & GERD for which I take oemeprazole daily. Tried and failed to have a colonoscopy. On day of test 24 hr fast caused intense migraine (hunger is a trigger). Immobile due to migraine and dr said the sedative to be used could aggravate it. Daily--fluoxetine (generic Prozac as migraine preventative). I am a 59 yr old female, eat a high fiber diet and am a vegetarian.Symptoms can last for a few days/week, but currently am in the 3rd week of feeling sick all over, dragging around and cancelling out of life and sitting in a chair/bed. Please help: this has been occuring a couple of times a year for the last 5 years. I have seen the dr numerous times over the past few years, when these symptoms occur, but never had any firm diagnosis (have had blood tests--no abnormalities) except to wait it out. It is extremely difficult to have to interrupt my daily life for these periods of time without knowing what to do to alleviate the symptoms OR MORE IMPORTANTLY how to prevent another occurance.

Advertisement

#2 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

The achy flu-like symptoms might be fibromyalgia.It is fairly common for people to have both IBS and fibromyalgia. You might check out the Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia forums we have here.K.
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

#3 B S

B S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:21 AM

Thank you so much for answering. As you can see in my previous message I am just beginning my search for answers/causes to this problem.I appreciate what you have said and will check into the fibromyalgia forum. You said, "It is fairly common for people to have both IBS and fibromyalgia". Before I proceed I wonder if you believe that the the flu-like symptoms would occur only when they are preceeded by the intestinal rumblings, gas, belching, pain, etc. If it were fibro. wouldn't I experience these problems at other times, and more frequently/consistently? This sickness happens about 2 or 3 times a year, with at times months passing before a reoccurance. Does it sound like I have IBS? As you can tell I know little about either condition.

#4 Kathleen M.

Kathleen M.

Community Manager

• Community Managers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 34,810 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

Sometimes one illness can trigger another, so that they come together doesn't set off any it can't be both bells for me. With any of these problems you can have better times and worse times. None of them are entirely consistant. For Chronic Fatigue and Fibro patients often the problem is they start to feel better, do too much trying to catch up from when they were feeling bad and that triggers a bad spell again.3 times a year might be something else if you were talking a day or two at a time. That you have weeks at a time several times a year makes me think it still could be CFS/Fibro and IBS.It may be worth keeping a diary and try to figure out what is common to all the times this happens. Is it certain months of the year, or only after stressful events, etc.?
My story of beating IBS: My Story with IBS
Ph.D in Biology

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here