12 replies to this topic

#1 Salgoud

Salgoud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 01:54 AM

Advertisement
I heard about it here and it sure works for me, Olive Oil! My C was so severe that I went on a ten-day cruise and never had a movement during the entire time.... still kept eating though, since they make a habit of stuffing you and "I already paid for it." But, it was pretty uncomortable to say the least.About ten days ago I read some archive posts on this board about some who were using olive oil. Two tablespoons per day. Since then I have taken it every night before bed along with Citrocel and a stool softener pill. (If you do not breath through your nose you can't taste the olive oil at all.) Since starting this regimin and drinking a lot of water, I have been regular every day, with no pain during elimination or through out the day. The bloating is gone too. I can't thank you all enough for suggesting the treatment. Also, have started taking magnesium suppliments. For me, it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the olive oil is virgin or 2nd or third generation squeeze. I have tried both virgin and regular olive oil. The cheap stuff works as well.. its thinner so I just take a little more. No problems with it building up and leaking out the back-end as some posters have feared.Olive oil has numerous other assets as well, including being an excellent anti-oxident. If you haven't tried this yet and you are a C its worth trying. It sure works for me. "Free at last"

Advertisement

#2 wanderingstar

wanderingstar

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 12:19 PM

I'm confused. Did you start taking the Citrucel and stool softener at the same time as the olive oil? How do you know which of the 3 has been giving you relief? (I know it may be a combinaton of all 3!). ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS
susan

IBS D type. I also have M.E (CFS).

#3 Salgoud

Salgoud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 01:06 PM

I had been taking Citrocel for many years. Combined the stool softener about a year ago. That combination did not work on its own until I added Olive Oil.

#4 Redfern

Redfern

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the report. Redfern

#5 Rose

Rose

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the report, but you stated you just started taking magnesium supplements, so how do you know it' s the olive oil that is helping you..it could be the magnesium or maybe a combination of both. ------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)
"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"
Rose (C-type)

#6 Salgoud

Salgoud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2001 - 12:08 AM

Well, the first time I took the olive oil about ten days ago I had a great movement the very next morning. Mind you, as the week progressed I still did not have movements every day but at least every other day, which I believe is considered within the normal range. I added the magnesium because I would like to be daily. So far its all worked.I think its fair to say that the olive oil worked without the magnesium, but with the magnesium it works even better.Perhaps the larger point is that whether it be the olive oil alone or the combination of Citrucel, one stool softener pill a day, plenty of water and a 400 mg magnesium suppliment per day it has relived the major IBS C symptoms I have been living with for several years.Everyone is different, so I don't know whether this will work for all. But, none of this stuff is bad for you like a laxative and there are many suffering... why not try them all together like I am doing... it may work for you as well.

#7 Guest_Julia41_*

Guest_Julia41_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2001 - 01:56 AM

Salguod!!!I was the original person who posted on theOlive Oil therapy.I agree.. if this therapy works for you..more power to the people who take thistherapy. Also, the benefits as youmentioned ROCK!!! (Antioxidant, LubricatesMuscle and Joints, Lowers Cholestrol,Eliminates Gas, Distention, Bloating,Constipation) Hello, can we talk!!!I was getting soooooo frustrated with themainstream medical population telling memy condition had to be psychological. Ikeep telling them wrong part of the anatomnyguys and gals. Oh, if only the medicalcommunity could think outside the box anddraw outside the lines. We would not besoooooo outcast by the doctors we see.In any event, through my extensive studyon this subject. I came up with the solution, but also, the cause for my condition. Low hydrochloric acid inthe stomach, thus replaced by Oleic Acid/Olive Oil on a daily basis this eliminatesthe gas, bloating, distention, constipation.I will post my original information.FYI!!!Take Care,Thanks Again!!!!Julia41

#8 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 03:48 AM

quote:
Low hydrochloric acid inthe stomach, thus replaced by Oleic Acid/Olive Oil on a daily basis this eliminatesthe gas, bloating, distention, constipation.
Having little or no hydrochloric acid in the stomach is not related to constipation. Olive oil cannot replace this acid and there is no known mechanism by which it could treat IBS-C or slow-transit constipation.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#9 Guest_Julia41_*

Guest_Julia41_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2001 - 01:52 PM

Flux!!!First, you do not have the condition, soI would not listen to you. Also, there is medical literature thatconfirms that low hydrochloric acid cancause constipation. That is why thedoctors will do blood work or endoscopeprocedure. Thus, the Heidelberg Test wouldnot exist if this was not a factor for IBS C patiences. Also, I have discussed this with GI Doctorsand they confirmed this information. Anyonewith common sense would discuss this information with there GI Doctor. Get a Life!!!Stop giving wrong information. Julia41

#10 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 05:15 PM

quote:
there is medical literature thatconfirms that low hydrochloric acid cancause constipation.
No, low hydrocholric acid does not cause constipation.
quote:
Thus, the Heidelberg Test wouldnot exist if this was not a factor for IBS C patiences
This test has nothing to do with constipation or with IBS and it probably had been developed years ago for looking at stomach acid when the cause of ulcers was not known to be related to H. pylori. It probably has limited usefulness today and none for constipation or IBS.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#11 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 10 June 2001 - 05:45 PM

Aside from the argument whether olive oil works for some people's constipation, which I do believe helps some people-I've found out that pure butter helps me better than olive oil. Is butter considered an 'oil'?
Tiss

#12 Guest_Julia41_*

Guest_Julia41_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2001 - 10:15 PM

Flux::You bore me!!!Yawn!!!Julia41

#13 Gooby

Gooby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Daily use of Olive oil, Magnesium dietary supplement, and Prunes (and sometimes in severe cases, Prune Juice) work for me.

Probiotics for relieving constipation?  Try kombucha and kim chi.  They are full of good bacteria, and don't have any dairy products in them.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here