#1 Davis 2002

Davis 2002

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 09:37 PM

Advertisement
My IBS doctor says abdominal gas is trapped in my colon and causing my chronic bloating He said I just have to live with it Has anyone tried anything that works? I watch my diet Phazyme won't hep abdominal gas

Advertisement

#2 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 10:36 PM

How did the doctor determine this? Did you have an x-ray at the time of the bloating?
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#3 flux

flux

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10,398 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 10:36 PM

How did the doctor determine this? Did you have an x-ray at the time of the bloating?
I am not a doctor, but utilize sources of information not readily available to the public. Some of this information may contradict what you think you know and some of it may sound harsh, but the information is what it is, and you got it here for free. I am just a messenger. Always consult a real doctor.

#4 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 10:50 PM

Yes, I too have suffered with trapped gas. Ask for a prescription anti-spasmodic (like Librax, Bentyl or Levsin). The gas gets trapped because of the spasms of the colon. Anti-spasmodic drugs (also known as anti-cholinergics) relax the smooth muscle, allowing the gas to pass. I have used both Bentyl and Librax and within an hour of taking 1 pill, I can pass the gas and the pain is gone.Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

My blog: http://pesharachel.blogspot.com/

#5 Stace

Stace

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 10:50 PM

Yes, I too have suffered with trapped gas. Ask for a prescription anti-spasmodic (like Librax, Bentyl or Levsin). The gas gets trapped because of the spasms of the colon. Anti-spasmodic drugs (also known as anti-cholinergics) relax the smooth muscle, allowing the gas to pass. I have used both Bentyl and Librax and within an hour of taking 1 pill, I can pass the gas and the pain is gone.Stacey
"Many things in life will catch your eye, but few will catch your heart" -Anonymous

My blog: http://pesharachel.blogspot.com/

#6 Homebound

Homebound

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 12:44 AM

I get this all the time too. It can really hurt, and make you bloated. I wish I knew how to get rid of it, I usually just have to lay down for a while when I get it.Jennifer

#7 Homebound

Homebound

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 12:44 AM

I get this all the time too. It can really hurt, and make you bloated. I wish I knew how to get rid of it, I usually just have to lay down for a while when I get it.Jennifer

#8 Kaos0100

Kaos0100

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:30 AM

I believe some of the pain I have is from trapped gas. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it hurts! I find that massaging my abdomen and stomach helps the gas release...

#9 Kaos0100

Kaos0100

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:30 AM

I believe some of the pain I have is from trapped gas. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it hurts! I find that massaging my abdomen and stomach helps the gas release...

#10 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:39 AM

Hi Davis....Like Flux I am a little curious, also, how this diagnosis was arrived at. What procedure did he use to "visualize" te "trapped gas", do you remember? Not saying anything one way or the other, just curious how he made the assessment.MNL
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

#11 Mike NoLomotil

Mike NoLomotil

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:39 AM

Hi Davis....Like Flux I am a little curious, also, how this diagnosis was arrived at. What procedure did he use to "visualize" te "trapped gas", do you remember? Not saying anything one way or the other, just curious how he made the assessment.MNL
Eat Well. Think Well. Be Well.
www.nowleap.com
What's My Line?:
http://ibsgroup.org/...910646#51910646

#12 bobo

bobo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 06:05 PM

Guess I'm with the others in saying, I wonder how your doctor arrived at this conclusion. ??But one thing I find that helps me when I have gas and need help passing it...drink lots of water. And when the gas wants to expel...let it. Don't hold it in cause it might be socially unacceptable, that just makes it worse.I guess I should add why I use water. I've found out that most times when I use OTC gas medications...I immediately have diarrhea...and then seem to be bound up the following day. No fun there.

#13 bobo

bobo

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 06:05 PM

Guess I'm with the others in saying, I wonder how your doctor arrived at this conclusion. ??But one thing I find that helps me when I have gas and need help passing it...drink lots of water. And when the gas wants to expel...let it. Don't hold it in cause it might be socially unacceptable, that just makes it worse.I guess I should add why I use water. I've found out that most times when I use OTC gas medications...I immediately have diarrhea...and then seem to be bound up the following day. No fun there.

#14 J_j

J_j

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:17 PM

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of medical pro's at all, but my doctor told me they can tell a lot just by poking around on your abdomen - he always does this when I see him. Maybe this doctor could "feel" the bloating. I was curious when I was diagnosed with IBS because the first time I was told I have it the doctor did just that - poked around. He then told me it's amazing what they can all tell just be feeling in certain areas on the abdomen. He said just from doing that he could "feel" spasm's, gas and irritation. I believe him because about ten years prior I was having trouble with diahrrea, pain an bloating and was seeing a different doctor at that time. He poked around and said the same thing this one did - the lining of my stomach was irritated and he could feel spasm's. Check with your own doctor's - they can explain it much better than I ever could!

#15 J_j

J_j

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:17 PM

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of medical pro's at all, but my doctor told me they can tell a lot just by poking around on your abdomen - he always does this when I see him. Maybe this doctor could "feel" the bloating. I was curious when I was diagnosed with IBS because the first time I was told I have it the doctor did just that - poked around. He then told me it's amazing what they can all tell just be feeling in certain areas on the abdomen. He said just from doing that he could "feel" spasm's, gas and irritation. I believe him because about ten years prior I was having trouble with diahrrea, pain an bloating and was seeing a different doctor at that time. He poked around and said the same thing this one did - the lining of my stomach was irritated and he could feel spasm's. Check with your own doctor's - they can explain it much better than I ever could!

#16 Jammer

Jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 04:44 AM

I had it so bad that I could not walk.To check for gas, the doctor tapped me just above the colon.If it sound hollow like a drum, it is full of gas. The doc also says that it will go away if you eat a gas free diet.(no beans, onions,softdrinks, etc..)My gas did go away, but very slowly.I still have gas, but not so much. JAMMER

#17 Jammer

Jammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 04:44 AM

I had it so bad that I could not walk.To check for gas, the doctor tapped me just above the colon.If it sound hollow like a drum, it is full of gas. The doc also says that it will go away if you eat a gas free diet.(no beans, onions,softdrinks, etc..)My gas did go away, but very slowly.I still have gas, but not so much. JAMMER

#18 WhoAMI

WhoAMI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 11:33 AM

My doctor saw and felt the severe spasming during a colonoscopy. Then when I had abdominal surgery recently, the surgeon could see the gas trapped there in my colon. That's how I knew for sure the gas was there. But my doctor, like the others, always palpates my abdomen and can feel how much gas is in there. Perhaps that's how your doctor knew this.

#19 WhoAMI

WhoAMI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 11:33 AM

My doctor saw and felt the severe spasming during a colonoscopy. Then when I had abdominal surgery recently, the surgeon could see the gas trapped there in my colon. That's how I knew for sure the gas was there. But my doctor, like the others, always palpates my abdomen and can feel how much gas is in there. Perhaps that's how your doctor knew this.

#20 bonniei Ph.D.

bonniei Ph.D.

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,831 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 11:43 AM

Maybe the infamous percussion technique? Posted Image
----------------------------
A total of 183 patients(with unexplained GI symptoms) had breath tests, of whom 134 (73%) were positive for fructose malabsorption"
"80% of patients had lactose malabsorption "
http://ibsgroup.org/...910563#73910563

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here