#1 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

Advertisement
I swear I just want to crawl under a rock and die , I was at the grocery store this morning and MY IBS "D" hit me. I could feel it running out , and I told the cashier I need your restroom now ! We were 1/2 way thru ringing up my sales and this happened.I ran for the bathroom and then had to rush back to the cashier as she was waiting for me to complete the sale.Why does this happen every damn time I go out ???Glenda

Advertisement

#2 Divinity

Divinity

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

Glenda, I feel for you! This can be so embarassing. It's not your fault so don't blame yourself. Play it safe and get those pull-ups.Stress plays a big part in this. Maybe try going out when you are relaxed?Hugs to you!

#3 nerfmom

nerfmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

It happens. My husband who does not have IBS has a weak spinchter(Sp) muscle and bowel accidents are not uncommon for him. He wears depends and feels much better when we go out. He used the undergarments, but now he is using pull ups. It has made a big difference for both of us.

#4 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

I guess I am just going to have to break down and go buy myself some pull up's.These accidents issue everytime I go out of the house is becomming a routine.One thing that would panic me is my Diarrhea smells sour. How do I hide the smell if I am in public ? I'd sure be waddling funny like a duck with a diaper full of poop.This is so embarrasing. I just wanna die.

#5 nerfmom

nerfmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

Is it different if you eat before you go out or not? I have found with me that not eating before I go out lessens the chance of an IBS attack.

#6 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:06 PM

Eating makes no difference.No matter what I do , when I go out , I can count on having an accident.This is so shamefull to have to deal with.

#7 kitkat17 Lady of the Loo

kitkat17 Lady of the Loo

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

I know Glenda. Believe me I have had my share of these most embarassing moments. One time I was in Kohls. I left my phone in my car. Here it came. No warning, no pain, nothing.It was summer so I had on shorts. I RAN to bathroom and died.I sat there crying, wondering what the heck was I going to do?It was all the way down in my shoes too. After about 15 minutes I heard the door open. I asked if she had a phone I could use. She said No, but I work here. I asked her to call my H to bring me up some clothes . She did and gave me tons of towels wet and dry. I stood there in the ladies bathroom giving myself a darn bath. Then after 15 minutes she came back in with my clothes. I got the heck out of there as fast as I could. I hate telling this story, BUT I want you to know you are NOT alone. I was only 42 when this happened. I was about 38 and I did this at Disney. SO I have done it a few times in my life too.Can you take imodium? I take lomotil. I know what you mean about the diaper thing. To darn young for them, BUT we have to do what we have to do sometimes. And it does not matter what I eat or don;t eat either. I can eat something on Monday and be fine, but eat it on Thursday and I get D. I quit the guessing gam eon food.Take care and remeber you are not aloneKat
IBS-D for way to long

How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye
and now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance,I could of missed the pain,
But I'd of had to miss the dance

Kat

#8 nerfmom

nerfmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:56 PM

It is no wonder that us IBS people find it hard to go out like everyone else. I had a friend who finally had a ileostomia for that very reason. She did well with her surgery, but what a drastic thing to have to do.

#9 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

I thought I had some bad horror stories to tell , But >Being at Kohl's and having to ask for help from an employee , to call your husband to bring clothes , I haven't had that happen yet.I was at the mall in the food court , and I was running for the bathroom and I messed my pants.I did have to get my hubby to bring me clothes as I couldn't walk with stuff squishing out my pant legs.I remember another time out in my truck , I had a messy accident and the smell grossed my son out so bad he rode home in the back of the truck bed in the rain.No mater what I use Imodium or Lomotil , it just doesn't dry me up to eliminate these darn runs.I am really scared to leave the house , because I guarentee I will #### my pants. It happens every time.I need pull up's , but I am ashamed and embarrased to buy them at my age.If I sneeze or throw up I pee my pants. Why?This whole ordeal has gotten out of hand.

#10 Divinity

Divinity

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hi Glenda, you're not alone. I pee my pants too. I had a hysterectomy and apparently there is not much there to hold the bladder up. Therefore I get unexpected urination.When I sneeze or throw up, I'm guarenteed to wet myself. I have to squeeze real hard first. When you throw up though, never mind squeezing, it doesn't work. Posted ImageIt is embarrasing to buy pull-ups but I don't think it's as embarrasing as pooping in public.Try them out, you have nothing to lose. Think of the freedom of mind, of being able to go where you want, without the stress of accidents.It's worth a try! Keep your chin up! Posted Image

#11 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

I wet myself all the time. Sneezing and throwing up really hit my bladder hard. I can go pee' , get up to walk away and pee' more and get my underware wet.I had a total hysterectomy in 1987 and never thought it could be due to the fact there isn't much left in there to hold the bladder up.But now that you mention it , that makes 100% sense.Now as for pull up's , I need them badly.If I mess my pull up's I still have to find a bathroom to clean up in.The horror that gets me is > What if I have my pull up's on and all of a sudden my diarrhea expolodes with a bang and a smell around a crowd of people ?The Dreadfull looks I have gotten is terrible.People hold their nose and glare at you.I am just at a loss what to do anymore.Are pull up's the answer ?This is so much to deal with.

#12 Divinity

Divinity

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

Glenda, please see your doctor about your bladder problems. My doctor has been proposing different options that may help. One of them is a surgery to tighten the muscles. (something like that) For some people, it resolves the problem completely, some other people re-experience the problem after a few years. There are also other treatment options. Please look into them. Quality of life is important!!!p.s. You can carry purse size baby wipes so that if you do have to clean up after a mess, it will be easier.People can be mean.... but then again, they don't know what it's like. Never mind what they do, it is not your fault!!! It is important that you be comfortable and secure in your daily life, so it pull-ups can help..... go for it.I'm sending good thoughts your way, with a whole bunch of hugs. XOXOXOXO

#13 Jules 65

Jules 65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Glenda:I guess I am just going to have to break down and go buy myself some pull up's.These accidents issue everytime I go out of the house is becomming a routine.One thing that would panic me is my Diarrhea smells sour. How do I hide the smell if I am in public ? I'd sure be waddling funny like a duck with a diaper full of poop.This is so embarrasing. I just wanna die.
Hi Glenda,Sorry to hear you're still having a bad time, I been there done that lots of times Posted ImageLot's of ppl here have given you very good advice re: pull-ups, I have been using them since December on the advice from people on these forums..Re: Yes if you "go" in them they will smell, but it will if you have an accident in your pants, but then you change, clean up, and no-one will know..I have been on fibre supplements for the last few weeks, and now I can't remember my last accident, though I still take the pull-ups, if I go out, though haven't "used" them, you know what I mean...Hope you give pull-ups a try at least, you will get "some" freedom back..Take careHugggggsJulia

#14 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 02:13 PM

How much do they cost ?How many per package ?I am going to have to get me some soon .One thing I have not mentioned , but I will , when a woman messes her pants with Diarrhea , the runny mess goes into your urinary tract opening , I was full of poop and got a severe bladder infection. I had to use an enema syring and squirt warm water up there to clean out the mess.So ladies , be sure you don't get an infection because of this.Pull up's sound great , but they still have draw backs I think.How to change in public if there is no place to change ? This is so stressfull thinking about all of this.

#15 Divinity

Divinity

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:34 AM

Hi Glenda,You may want to try a vaginal douche. Made specially for cleansing "in there". Posted ImageHope you're feeling better!

#16 descartesmum

descartesmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

Glenda, you're not alone. One day I was WH Smiths, a bookstore/stationery store in my town when I walked 2 steps and then I went. Posted Image Just a sharp little pain and then the waterfall. Thank G-d I was friendly with one of the women who worked there. She took me upstairs to their staff loo. You try walking up stairs trying not to go and with my knickers falling down with poo. I cleaned up the best I could and then went home.It was terrible though. I could just imagine everyone that I got near smelling my accident. It isn't easy trying to clean up in those little stalls.I have bought pull-ups but I hate the idea of having to wear them everytime I go out which is every day.I don't eat a thing before I go out but I still have problems.
A journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step.

#17 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:49 PM

Hi Divinity , I am talking about the actual urinary tract opening itself. (not vaginal )One time when my runs were bad , the diarrhea seeped up the urinary tact opening and I got a bad bladder infection.I went to the pharmacy today 4/15 and priced the Pull up's.My goodness they are expensive and you don't get alot of them.I didn't buy any yet. I may try to price them "on-line" , and see if I can get a better deal.Glenda

#18 Glenda

Glenda

Prolific Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

Descartesmum,You poor dear that must have been terrible for you.I guess my worst attack was in the crowded elevator. You could hear every bang and plop.The stares we just dreadfull. The nose holding really made me want to cry.

#19 Prudy

Prudy

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:49 PM

Try Walmart.. they are always cheaper then most drug stores and supermarkets...
Prudy..
A journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step.
I follow a trigger free diet, take calcium, a good organic cereal, and eat yogurt everyday day to control my symptoms. And a good dose of daily Prayer along with it...HOPE- Sees the invisible, Feels the intangible, Achieves the impossible.

#20 nerfmom

nerfmom

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

Look for coupons in the sunday newspapers. Also, there are undergarments that use elastic straps made by Depend. They are cheaper. They may be enough for you to use. Check them out.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 IBS Self Help and Support Group All rights reserved

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here