Advertisement

Photo

No Pressure On Waist - Can't Wear Pants!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 buzz

buzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:16 PM

Advertisement
I have looked around the forum, but have been unable to find anything dealing with this subject. If I missed something, please let me know.I cannot handle any pressure on my waist/abdomen. I wear pants 2 to 3 sizes too big, held up with suspenders so that there will not be any constriction on my waist. Because of this, I can’t tuck in any shirts. I have to wear everything out to avoid directly showing my huge waisted pants or anything else that may be visible due to the space between the pants and me. And, when I say I can’t handle any pressure on my waist/abdomen, I mean I can’t. It is not just “uncomfortable”, or just something that happens after meals. It is all the time. If I do wear something too tight (which in this case would be anything that is tight enough to stay up by itself) I get pain in my abdomen that allows me to do little else but lay down. I get a headache, and my ability to think is destroyed by crabbiness.I know that this is not a “mental” issue for me, because I have been in many situations where I was not thinking at all about my waist or pants yet began to quickly degenerate to a crabby, painful mess. It wasn’t until later, when I took the pants off, that I got relief and realized that the pressure around my waist was the culprit.I have read and heard from many IBS suffers that they get abdominal pain after eating certain foods, too much food, or wearing really tight clothing – but I have not come across anyone else who just can’t function when they have ANY amount of tightness around their waist.Does anyone else have this issue, and more importantly, has anyone been able to overcome this somehow? Peppermint pills, fiber, water, etc. all help with food based pain and regularity, but do nothing for this waist sensitivity. I would really like to be able to exercise again, and consider employment that requires your shirt be tucked in. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 urbanmart

urbanmart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

I have looked around the forum, but have been unable to find anything dealing with this subject. If I missed something, please let me know.I cannot handle any pressure on my waist/abdomen. I wear pants 2 to 3 sizes too big, held up with suspenders so that there will not be any constriction on my waist. Because of this, I can’t tuck in any shirts. I have to wear everything out to avoid directly showing my huge waisted pants or anything else that may be visible due to the space between the pants and me. And, when I say I can’t handle any pressure on my waist/abdomen, I mean I can’t. It is not just “uncomfortable”, or just something that happens after meals. It is all the time. If I do wear something too tight (which in this case would be anything that is tight enough to stay up by itself) I get pain in my abdomen that allows me to do little else but lay down. I get a headache, and my ability to think is destroyed by crabbiness.I know that this is not a “mental” issue for me, because I have been in many situations where I was not thinking at all about my waist or pants yet began to quickly degenerate to a crabby, painful mess. It wasn’t until later, when I took the pants off, that I got relief and realized that the pressure around my waist was the culprit.I have read and heard from many IBS suffers that they get abdominal pain after eating certain foods, too much food, or wearing really tight clothing – but I have not come across anyone else who just can’t function when they have ANY amount of tightness around their waist.Does anyone else have this issue, and more importantly, has anyone been able to overcome this somehow? Peppermint pills, fiber, water, etc. all help with food based pain and regularity, but do nothing for this waist sensitivity. I would really like to be able to exercise again, and consider employment that requires your shirt be tucked in. Any help is appreciated.

#3 vizion

vizion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

Hi Buzz,I have the same problem too. It's been gradually getting worse the last few years. I'm not diagnosed for IBS yet. But any pressure on my tummy makes me struggle for air. I have custom made pants that have garters all-around just like the ones you find in shorts. But lately, it's been tough for me even wearing those. To top it off, my tummy expands an inch, 2 or 3 when I sit. I have no solution except to wear underwear at home.

#4 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

oh yes, i get that too. i have slow transit constipation and when i'm really backed up and bloated with stool and gas i cannot tolerate any type of pants even my trusty one-size-too-large elastic waistband drawstring pants. fortunately i'm a woman so then i can turn to my comfy tent jumpers. don't know what i'd do without them.years ago i used to bib overalls when this happened. they were pretty comfy too. not exactly in style any more though. but when i'm that uncomfotable i really don't care about style--lol.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#5 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

oh yes, i get that too. i have slow transit constipation and when i'm really backed up and bloated with stool and gas i cannot tolerate any type of pants even my trusty one-size-too-large elastic waistband drawstring pants. fortunately i'm a woman so then i can turn to my comfy tent jumpers. don't know what i'd do without them.years ago i used to bib overalls when this happened. they were pretty comfy too. not exactly in style any more though. but when i'm that uncomfotable i really don't care about style--lol.

Tiss

#6 Tiss

Tiss

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

I absolutely can't stand to wear anything around my waist. Haven't for many years. I guess I'm lucky cause I am pretty thin and can wear the lower rise jeans and pants. I don't know if any of you women shop at J.Jill but they have a line of clothing call J jill Wearever. Wonderful tops and pants that feel like pjs with elastic waste without looking dumpy. Just went to Italy and wore the Wearever on the LONG plane ride without feeling cramped up in my tummy due to having anything press on my waist.
Tiss

#7 annie7

annie7

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:14 PM

i'm thin too but even the low rise bother me--quite a bit actually. can't bear to have anything pressing on my belly either which is right where the low rise sit.

these are just my own thoughts. for expert medical advice please contact a health care professional.

#8 irateintestines

irateintestines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

I have this terribly, and as a result I heavily rely on dresses, and super loose, rolled down on my waist leggings. The dresses have to be potato sack style and loose. The thing that troubles me the most is my bra! Now that is a terrible uncomfortable situation, especially since my set heavily rely (ha ha) on one. I think one of the hardest to cope with aspects of IBS is how it makes you feel about yourself, both internally and externally. I feel your pain! I guess I'm lucky that dresses are in my socially acceptable clothing repertoire.

#9 Ella.b

Ella.b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

#10 Ella.b

Ella.b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

Hi, I have a similar issue, I can have a bm fine one morning but by the afternoon I start to get a cramp like pain really low done in my pelvis area as if it's being stretched..it's almost like a contracting, I feel totally compact and full of air, but I'm not, even after taking movicol and having normal bm this pain can occur, it's gets worse over about 2 hours until I'm in agony and can't do anything, I have to lay down and I can't whasoever wear anything restricting on my waist for at least a week, I'm left with a dull ache and pain not a severe as in the start, but it last for a week, does anyone get this symptom???...I also had a ceserean 20 months ago so I'm wondering if it's that or my ibs, doctors seem to think it's the ibs, but I'm also getting to the stage whe I'm wearing sizes bigger because I'm worried of it starting while I'm out. :0(

#11 sjy

sjy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hi, I have a similar issue, I can have a bm fine one morning but by the afternoon I start to get a cramp like pain really low done in my pelvis area as if it's being stretched..it's almost like a contracting, I feel totally compact and full of air, but I'm not, even after taking movicol and having normal bm this pain can occur, it's gets worse over about 2 hours until I'm in agony and can't do anything, I have to lay down and I can't whasoever wear anything restricting on my waist for at least a week, I'm left with a dull ache and pain not a severe as in the start, but it last for a week, does anyone get this symptom???...I also had a ceserean 20 months ago so I'm wondering if it's that or my ibs, doctors seem to think it's the ibs, but I'm also getting to the stage whe I'm wearing sizes bigger because I'm worried of it starting while I'm out. :0(

I've never had a small waist, always a bit of a belly and chronic "belly aches". I have never been comfortable in high waisted pants or skirts. Luckily I wear scrubs for work and can loosen the tie. Every thing else is stretch only!Your post hit a nerve with me when you mentioned C-section 20 months ago. My current "supposed" IBS pain started after a GYN biopsy. I went back multiple times while they checked for infection, prolapsed organs, twisted ovary and anything else they thought of. I kept asking about scar tissue (I've had two GYN laparoscopic surgeries). She just said no and suggested I see a gastroenterologist. I told her I already had an appointment. He (GI doc) said it was IBS, brought on by a nearby spasm, whatever. Had my colonoscopy, clear. It was my first as baseline anyway, I'm 51. The day of my colonoscopy, I told him I had a new pain, upper right abdomen. He ordered an ultrasound, found gallstones. Gallbladder removed last Friday. The surgeon upon hearing my history, thinks they punctured my uterus during the biopsy. So why it's still hurting whenever stool passes, who knows?Anyway, my long-winded reply, is to encourage you to re-visit your GYN. Ask about scar tissue, adhesions, endometriosis and anything else you can think of. Also have them check you for prolapse. I'm still searching for my answer, I hope you find yours.And for anyone else out there needing comfortable pants, check out scrub pants (tie only, no elastic) or flannel PJ pants (tie only) for winter. Also, Hanes makes some wonderful new sweat pants that have a wide band elastic, much more comfortable. And no goofy elastic cuffs, LOL. Ladies department at Walmart!

#12 Mary5

Mary5

Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

Have slow transit constipation AND pelvic floor disfunction (muscles at exit tighten up instead of relaxing) so on top of retaining everything in there, once the stuff does get to the exit, the muscles don't cooperate.Slow transit diagnosed through sitzmarker test, and pelvic floor outlet with defecography.For slow transit they say it is "chronic", for pelvic floor went several months to therapy and that has helped, about 30% better.In pain and discomfort every waking moment.Still on laxatives, otherwise with backup I can barely function, can't breathe and as you mention, the stomach distention is huge.For the distension>Eat very small amounts.Heat helps, Cvs sells a large heating pad for back pain. And there is always the trusty hot water bottle.Yoga helps.I have got rid of all "normal" pants and found Yoga pants at Old Navy that once you put a top on look like regular pants. I wear these to work with a nice top or jacket.

#13 Berniememe

Berniememe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

Dear Buzz- I know exactly what you mean! I thought I was crazy! I had surgery 3 months ago for reflux & small bowel resection( see my post " Nissan fundlipication woes"). I have been left with abdominal pain mid left to center abdomen. I cannot stand anything putting even the slightest pressure on my mid upper abdomen, it feels like a skin surface nerve issue- it even wakes me up when I an sleeping. I think it is related to IBS or to nerves injured during surgery. Thank you for helping me realize I am not alone!

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here