12 replies to this topic

#1 french toasty

french toasty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:35 PM

Advertisement
I have suffered from ibs constipation for 3.5 years. It came on suddenly and started with intractable constipation. I could not go for 4-8 days at a time. Over the next few years I was put on Bentyl, Miralax, other laxatives, stool softeners, Zelnorm, Librax, etc. I spent at least $5,000.00 on probiotics including VSL3, made homemade yogurt and kefir for probiotics, tried elimination diets down to one food, and at least 20 herbal remedies and of course fiber. Nothing worked at all and the constipation got worse. My stomach got more and more distended until the distention was permanent and none of my clothing fit. I had a C-T scan, colonoscopy, and the Great Smokies Lab stool test. Nothing was found. I tried antibiotics, followed by probiotics to try and increase my level of friendly bacteria without any results. I became interested in the work of Weston Price and found an article on westonprice.org about the benefits of bone broth. The article suggested that the broth was soothing to the intestines. I ordered some bison marrow bones online and boiled them down. I added vegtables and made a soup. I had a decent bowel movement shortly thereafter and my distended stomach went down a bit. I started boiling down the bones on a daily basis and consuming the broth. I have been at this for about seven months. I now go usually every day and my distention is much better. I still suffer if I eat a big meal, but I try to be careful to never do that! I have my life back. It is truly a miracle. I had become so depressed I wished I could die from the pain and distention. I hope that this can help fellow sufferers.

Advertisement

#2 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Do you think any bones could help?I think i know what you mean but how long it takes?My problem is trapped gas.
---------------------------------
-->IBS INDUCED BY NSAIDS NAPROXEN
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
-Permanent discomfort/cecum&sigmoid stuck/trapped gas-
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia
***WORST PERMANENTLY SINCE RIFAXIMIN

#3 rachael00

rachael00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

ewwie. heh

#4 french toasty

french toasty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

Do you think any bones could help?I think i know what you mean but how long it takes?My problem is trapped gas.

I tried chicken bones and they did not work. I think beef or bison would be fine. I use marrow bones and just keep boiling them daily long after the marrow is gone. I occasionally add some bones and take out some old bones. I put them in a big stock pot. My theory is that the lining of my intestine is irritated thus causing spasms that inhibit peristaltic action, thus causing constipation. I think the bone broth is soothing and if you make a soup, it tastes good too. This is seriously the only thing that has helped me and I have tried everything! I think its really worth a try.

#5 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

Do you have a recipe? :(
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
---->IBS-Type constipation normal transit time(diagnose with non-relaxing puborectalis december 2005)
--->Pubic nevralgia

#6 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:18 PM

I ordered some bison marrow bones online and boiled them down.

You can buy meat on-line?
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

#7 eric

eric

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23,983 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

I am a chef, this is how you make beef broth or even further demi galze with beef bones.Broth adds electrolytes.I am surprized the chicken bones didn't help, it has been shown to sooth inflammation and add electrolytes into the system. Hence now why "grandma's" chicken soup helps.Beef has other properties though.
I am not a doctor. All information I present is for educational purposes only and should not be subsituted for the advise of a qualified health care provider.

Please make sure you have your symptoms diagnosed by a medical practitioner or a doctor.

#8 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

My bones are boiling.I will drink the broth.How long should i boil it?:(
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

#9 SpAsMaN*

SpAsMaN*

Very Prolific Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,139 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

I just fill a cup of beef bone broth.Wow,this smell bad! :(
-->NSAIDS YOU SUCKS!!!
--->Pubic nevralgia

#10 hungry

hungry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:14 PM

I tried chicken bones and they did not work. I think beef or bison would be fine. I use marrow bones and just keep boiling them daily long after the marrow is gone. I occasionally add some bones and take out some old bones. I put them in a big stock pot. My theory is that the lining of my intestine is irritated thus causing spasms that inhibit peristaltic action, thus causing constipation. I think the bone broth is soothing and if you make a soup, it tastes good too. This is seriously the only thing that has helped me and I have tried everything! I think its really worth a try.

My doctor does this too - he said that a little vinegar will bring out more marrow. Put it it a crock pot in the garage if you don't like the smell of it cooking all day. He cooks it for about 20 hours. He also adds powdered marrow. I personally don't like the flavor so I add some vegetable powder from the co-op. I also can tolerate juice and plain yogurt but I still have to use daily enemas.

#11 french toasty

french toasty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

I just fill a cup of beef bone broth.Wow,this smell bad! :(

I tried beef bones and I thought they smelled bad too. I ordered bison marrow bones from northstar bison. The web address is www.northstarbison.com It doesn't smell great but it tastes okay. I sometimes boil it way down and add meat or veggies. I've been doing this for eight months and I'm about 75% cured.

#12 s_teo

s_teo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

I tried beef bones and I thought they smelled bad too. I ordered bison marrow bones from northstar bison. The web address is www.northstarbison.com It doesn't smell great but it tastes okay. I sometimes boil it way down and add meat or veggies. I've been doing this for eight months and I'm about 75% cured.

How about beef broth? the one tha can be bought from almost any food store?Thankss_teo

#13 french toasty

french toasty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

How about beef broth? the one tha can be bought from almost any food store?Thankss_teo

Doesn't work for me. It has to be bones that are boiled down for at least a few hours. I don't know what is in the bones, but it helps tremendously.

Advertisement

About Us | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Disclaimer | Terms of Service | Crisis Resources

Irritable Bowel Syndrome |  Inflammatory Bowel Disease |  Crohn's Disease |  Ulcerative Colitis |  Fibromyalgia |  GERD - Reflux Disease

©Copyright 1995-2014 All rights reserved IBS Self Help and Support Group

Website Monitoring by: AlertBot

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here